Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

NEW: Prepar3D v5 CLOUDS

42 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Please note that Rob's video is NOT using default scenery nor entirely default aircraft. He's using MSE Utah 4X and Carenado S330.

No, but the clouds are default, and the clouds are the subject we're talking about in this thread.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Don't see anything so different about V5 vs. V4, clouds look better, but the ground textures look like the same old FSXish ground textures we've seen for years, save your money for FS2020.

• Like 4

A the end of the day who cares about vanilla P3D. Nobody ever has. It's probably been a decade since GEX, UTX, ORBX showed up on the scene. Not to mention the probably 100+ at least addon airports. If none of that FSX addon stuff had ever been developed Prepar3D could never have existed in the first place. Now its an issue because some yet to be released flight Sim is promising better scenery out of the box than anything currently available. Great! Can't wait to get my hands on it. But criticizing P3D V5 because it does not come with TrueEarth Style scenery all over the globe is mute. Also all of the other shortcoming of the vanilla P3D are satisfactorily addressed by addons. On would image and correctly so that LM are engauged in correcting the shortcoming of the sim that cannot be addressed with addon software and still maintain legacy compatibility requiring as little work as possible from the developers of said addons. I beat that once its released it will be clear that they succeeded in doing all that in spades.

Although I do agree that it was a business decision to shove it out the door probably quite a bit sooner than they would have liked too. V5.2 or 5.3 might the the one they would have preferred to release as 5.0. If I where in their shoes I'd do the same.😁

Anyway I say out with the old in with the new.

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jymp said:

Don't see anything so different about V5 vs. V4, clouds look better, but the ground textures look like the same old FSXish ground textures we've seen for years, save your money for FS2020.

Looks exactly like my last flight which even looked better, just using v4.5, ASN4, REX TD/SF.  No way I'll pay for this upgrade, but if it's free for someone who just bought v4 then great, otherwise 4.5 is so good I'm happy to wait til 2020 matures in terms of ample 3rd party content, fully debugged.  I have so much $$ tied up in software for v4 I can't see doing anything more with it unless v5 is free to me, or really cheap.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Is it amateur hour over at FSElite? I mean wow, the quality of the videos they're uploading are so bad that someone might mistaken the footage for FSX.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am looking forward to see what REX can do with clouds and weather in v5.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Looks exactly like my last flight which even looked better, just using v4.5, ASN4, REX TD/SF.  No way I'll pay for this upgrade, but if it's free for someone who just bought v4 then great, otherwise 4.5 is so good I'm happy to wait til 2020 matures in terms of ample 3rd party content, fully debugged.  I have so much $$ tied up in software for v4 I can't see doing anything more with it unless v5 is free to me, or really cheap.

LM usually has a 60 day refund policy, you can request a refund for your V4 purchase and once its back on your card you can buy V5. I did that when I purchase 2.5 a few weeks before V3 came out (of nowhere as usual).

1 hour ago, Noel said:

"otherwise 4.5 is so good I'm happy to wait til 2020 matures in terms of ample 3rd party content, fully debugged."

An interesting conclusion and decision. One could just as easily wait and witness the improvements in P3D v5 which will undoubtedly happen in parallel. Making such a decision now before either product is even released based on 3rd person videos is your choice and well based given you claim you can produce better visual flights with 4.5 now.

I also will wait for real life FS2020 performance (on the internet) reports because I have a small fortune invested in P3D (stopped investing in parallel in another sim because of its poor support of the southern hemisphere - I digress). I am more than happy with the scenery quality and performance from ORBX at 4k in v4.5 and the flight modelling, the outcome as of now for me is something like FS2020 needs to do something magical at a cheap price for me to even consider starting over.

About the only thing that would catch my eye(s) is proper VR performance at 4K (with 120 FOV minimum) with no fly screens and including proper integration of all controls of my chosen AC into the VR experience.

As I said I will wait but at my age I doubt I will see it.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

Even if you are coming from stock FSX and this is your first venture into P3D, this looks horrible, the autogen looks cartoonish. 

FSElite must be on a mission to destroy LM.

Please stop. Just stop.

Over on LM's own P3D discussion board, there is relatively little discussion of v5. I think we know why.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I'll be interested to see it when it gets released and will make a proper judgement from that, but the video does it no favours at all, the lightning flash at 6:44 in the video in particular, is laughably bad. Even FS98 had a better lightning weather effect than that.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

"Begun the Flame-War has..."

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Surely by now there would be a really good video out there showing the specific highlights of V5? It's on sale in a few days and none of the videos are inspiring me to bolt out of the gate with a credit card in hand.

• Like 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

55 minutes ago, FrankSalo said:

LM usually has a 60 day refund policy, you can request a refund for your V4 purchase and once its back on your card you can buy V5. I did that when I purchase 2.5 a few weeks before V3 came out (of nowhere as usual).

I want to say I read 14d for refunds.  v5.0 would have to be miles ahead of 4.5 for me to bother with it quite frankly.  There comes a point when what you have is real good already and the idea of starting over w/ all of the content that may need to be adapted, released and re-installed I am thinking it's just not going to be worth it.  I might not even install 5 if they gave it to me.  Now if they decided to finally after eons update the ATC and also improve the god-awful flight planner circa 1990 I'd think about it for sure.  But for a few more bits of eye candy I don't think it will be worth the time. It helps to live under a rock because when you finally crawl out it's pretty impressive, the changes that is.   I just went from P3D 3.x on a 3930K at 4.3Ghz w/ GTX Titan for 6.5 years to P3D v4.5 on a 9900K at 5.0Ghz (4.8 is ample so it's dialed back) w/ RTX 2070 Super), and it's a whole new beautiful ball game.  Be nice to do it again after MSFS2020 has been out for a year or however long it takes to get my preferred add-ons up and running.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

No matter what you may think of v5 with what we know so far, one thing is sure. FSElite makes a fool of themselves with their videos. Very unprofessional.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam