Sign in to follow this  
BMW969

Simultaneous installation v4,5 + v5

I read that some are going to install both versions of the simulator on their computer. How then to switch DirectX11 to DirectX12 and back?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

It's always been invisible to the user. DX is a windows thing, we don't have to worry about it at all.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Is it possible to install both?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I read that it is possible to have both versions, don’t know about the directx

Edited by rob0203

Yes it is, but I cannot recommend. I did this with V3/V4 but ended up in a mess of add-on installations ... and I had to uninstall everything before installing v4 again.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I for one will be making a clean install of P3DV5 when it comes out have done with all versions  of P3D and then there are no stuff ups

I am making space and will install v5 on a seperate drive. 

Hopefully possible 

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I just purchased a new SSD for V5. I will continue to run V4 on its current dedicated SSD until V5 takes over as the primary sim, then the V4 SSD will became a scenery drive.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

My understanding is that a parallel installation creates a separate set of .cfg files on the "c:" drive, therefore I cannot see a cross-install happening.

If it does, I may have to get creative with the install.  🙂

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

34 minutes ago, Mace said:

My understanding is that a parallel installation creates a separate set of .cfg files on the "c:" drive, therefore I cannot see a cross-install happening.

If it does, I may have to get creative with the install.  🙂

Not sure I follow? Seperate installation of v4 and v5 on dedicated drives should make seperate folders on c drive.  guess its up to 3rd part developers to allow and create dual installers .

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Two weeks ago I installed FSX to use Scenery Enhancer and put objects onto my pr scenery and copy the files in the P3Dv4 version.

No issues with the FSX / P3DV4 combo on the same drive...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

14 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Not sure I follow? Seperate installation of v4 and v5 on dedicated drives should make seperate folders on c drive. 

That's exactly what I said.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

No problems having both installed. For FSUIPC, for example, the new installer will allow you to have one FSUIPC installation for both sims, sharing the settings/config, or you can install twice to have separate copies for each sim. I've also manually installed some other add-ons to be shared between v4 and v5, and have not encountered any issues so far.

John

• Like 1

10 hours ago, argosafe said:

Good opportunity to clean install W10 and p3dv5 I think. 

I've thought about this as well, been putting off a cpu/mobo upgrade due to reinstalling windows 10 and wiping out appdata etc. Now with p3d v5 it gives me an even bigger excuse to redo the whole enchilada.