Sign in to follow this  
noob123

Possiblity of community involvement in world improvement?

I hope sometime in the future when the game is released there will be the possibility of getting community involvement in improving the world such as areas of the world where autogen lacks and 3d models can be manually created and inserted, fixing terrain issues, waters, rivers and streams, or anywhere else that needs manual intervention. It could be similar to how Google Earth used to be, with many people placing their SketchUp models into the Earth for others to stream and view. Perhaps the community members can push a change to the world and the devs or someone at the MSFS team can approve the changes

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A very good idea.

After years of just downloading scenery or ignoring glaring mistakes in the default terrain I finally dipped my toes in and started rebuilding and reshaping default airports.

It's very basic, but I find the process to be very tedious within the tools available for P3D.

I really hope they come up with an ingame scenery editor that makes it much easier to draw polygons, airport facilites, editing parking etc.

And most of all the ability to simply remove default scenery and navaids. That is a real pain in P3D.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, noob123 said:

I hope sometime in the future when the game is released there will be the possibility of getting community involvement in improving the world such as areas of the world where autogen lacks and 3d models can be manually created and inserted, fixing terrain issues, waters, rivers and streams, or anywhere else that needs manual intervention. It could be similar to how Google Earth used to be, with many people placing their SketchUp models into the Earth for others to stream and view. Perhaps the community members can push a change to the world and the devs or someone at the MSFS team can approve the changes

G_d NO! Dont let the community fiddle with what Osobo has done!!

What you want is called SCENERY ADD-ONS, and can be developed by freeware & payware developers, so we have a choice to take it or leave it.

Leave the core of the sim alone!

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

28 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

What you want is called SCENERY ADD-ONS, and can be developed by freeware & payware developers, so we have a choice to take it or leave it.

Why not? X-Plane already does this for airports with their scenery gateway and it works very well. Users submit their work, Laminar reviews it and if they deem it good enough it will become part of the default scenery from the next update. Works very well for keeping airports up to date too. And from the glimpses we've had, the SDK seems to be very powerful and easy to use.

Edited by nikita
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Wobbie said:

That's why I mentioned having someone at the MSFS team approve the changes that are made, rather than people changing up the world willy nilly. Since world data is streamed and stored centrally, any change made will benefit everyone running the sim without any updating needed, which I think is an enormous benefit

• Like 2

Maybe people (some of them, at least) do not fly around the whole world, & only prefer their own area.

And simply adding what the community has done is updating!

Maybe give the payware developers a chance?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

5 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Maybe people (some of them, at least) do not fly around the whole world, & only prefer their own area.

Regarding payware developers i'll go back to the X-Plane model: when doing updates to airports that you want to be adopted as new default scenery you have to limit yourself to what comes with the sim when creating the airport. No 3rd party libraries, no plugins, no custom models, because it has to work out of the box for everyone on a vanilla install.

Payware developers aren't going to be affected by this because they're the ones that are going to provide the full detail airport with custom models and so on and have no interest in their scenery becoming the new default.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Why not the X-Plane way then? Updating airports using the stock assets. That way it's still 'core', and it doesn't step on the toes of people using custom assets.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

Why must it be çore'?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

6 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Why must it be çore'?

For those who don't want to go around downloading dozens of different files just to have their airports up to date?

Like for P3D, for airports to fly to a lot I will get payware scenery (if it exists), but for others I try to find AFCAD updates that at least updates it to how it is in the last 5 years or so.

Having MSFS do what X-Plane does and update default airports every once and while, we wouldn't need to go looking for that freeware and save time.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Anyone who has time and mood to use the SDK or the built-in tools will be able and will have the right to add to or edit the world at the permitted level.

But no matter what the level, style or type of contribution will be from the community, there is no such thing as touching "the core of the sim". No company allows users to do that.

Any addon for any game or software would never touch the core of the software... It will always be a layer that you can disable anytime... Just like any other simulator...

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

X-plane's gateway is a nice model to follow. Limited to the default objects library, developers always updating/improving/expanding the library. After developer's quality control, the updated/improved airports are included in the updates for the base sim.

I've seen X-plane 11 improving a lot because of the community in that regard. People are moree than happy to improve the airports and upload them to the gateway. In a matter of months/years we would see a lot of really good small/medium airports being updated/improved.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, noob123 said:

That's why I mentioned having someone at the MSFS team approve the changes that are made, rather than people changing up the world willy nilly. Since world data is streamed and stored centrally, any change made will benefit everyone running the sim without any updating needed, which I think is an enormous benefit

And you will fund that 30,000 hour per year job how exactly?

Great, we have an upcoming sim that does its best to include it all, and so sure, let's turn it back to the the current wild-wild-west, and cram junk in there till it breaks......

Just like the good old days.

Cool.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

55 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Great, we have an upcoming sim that does its best to include it all, and so sure, let's turn it back to the the current wild-wild-west, and cram junk in there till it breaks......

Just like the good old days.

Cool.

I’d rather have a « market » regulated by the user‘s common sense than by penury.

For many, flight simming is also about doodling sceneries, textures, aircraft (for the most talented) and flying them in the sim. Sharing them too.

The Wild West analogy is good, this is how the US have built themselves, this how this hobby has built itself 😇.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam