Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

MSFS and Xbox game pass

11 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Perfect then there is no problem. It will be great to get all that free data and AI then we can "see our own house when we fly P3D also.

There is a problem.  Every few months this keeps getting questioned and brought back up. 

MSFS Beta tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 3700X 8 core 4.5ghz all core O.C. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus GTX1070 8GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD (OS), 2x Corsair MP600 500GB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSDs (MSFS install+Cache). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sethos said:

It was a discussion over in the P3D forum, part of another thread. So it has been separated and posted without context, which makes it a little confusing. 

Which I think was a good move by the mods.  And it is also nice that threads don't seem to be closed as much now.  🙂

@Noodle  Everyone is disagreeing with Rob, so I don't think misinformation is being spread.  And it sets a bad trend to start asking for threads to be closed.  It is easy to find people that would find any thread objectionable.

Edit (after David liked) - I take back the praise about not closing threads.  They just closed the Webassembly thread, which had a lot of noise just like most threads, but did have some useful information.  I still want to know and learn about Webassembly as it applies to the flight sim.  Now I can't talk about something important to me and I think the community.  😞

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 1

My brother has Coronavirus, confirmed by testing. On 3/26 he almost didn't survive the night.  He had extreme trouble breathing and was given a steroid inhaler.  He was very weak, had nausea, and other issues that aren't pleasant.  As of this update he is feeling much better, and seems he will be fine.  Stay safe out there.  (Updated 4/6)

Just now, Brandon01110 said:

There is a problem.  Every few months this keeps getting questioned and brought back up. 

He thinks they'll be able to scrape MSFS scenery from the servers for use in P3D.

We're dealing with real intellectuals, here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

If it is the same person, then the problem is with the person.  But otherwise I see no problem with this coming back up.  If someone doesn't know, this is how they find out.  And hopefully we are here to share information.

My brother has Coronavirus, confirmed by testing. On 3/26 he almost didn't survive the night.  He had extreme trouble breathing and was given a steroid inhaler.  He was very weak, had nausea, and other issues that aren't pleasant.  As of this update he is feeling much better, and seems he will be fine.  Stay safe out there.  (Updated 4/6)

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Already gave you the link ... but hey don't believe me, go ask MS Asobo directly ... and tell them to post it publicly in an official capacity, surely that will make it crystal clear.

Cheers, Rob.

So if your wrong are going to apologise to users for telling mistruths?

• Like 2

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD, PALIT GTX 1070* 8 GB vRAM, CORSAIR H100i GTX Water cooler, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS

*new GPU planned (30xx or Big Navi) when I can get one but I may have to wait a short time (ie the more vRam the better or whatever I can afford) to see what's best for me.

1 minute ago, GlideBy said:

Which I think was a good move by the mods.  And it is also nice that threads don't seem to be closed as much now.  🙂

@Noodle  Everyone is disagreeing with Rob, so I don't think misinformation is being spread.  And it sets a bad trend to start asking for threads to be closed.  It is easy to find people that would find any thread objectionable.

No, sorry. I'm a lover of free speech, and I despise overzealous moderation. But as we're reminded from time to time, this is a private forum and we are all guests. There is no such thing as "free speech" here.

There's a middle ground between stifling discussion and a free for all where people feel empowered to make false statements with no repurcussions. 

I don't come to Avsim to read people's lies.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Noodle said:

He thinks they'll be able to scrape MSFS scenery from the servers for use in P3D.

We're dealing with real intellectuals, here.

Listen...I was top of my class during my third year of the fourth grade. There is nothing "new" about using photo scenery in P3D. The argument here is that you buy MSFS sim and every thing else is free. I just don't think that MS wants to give all that data away for free. If that is true then fine but I know I would not be willing to do that. It only make good sense that some how we will have to pay for it and that is fine with me.

Edit...the rest of the story is I am not against MSFS if it pans and get released. As always I will use the sim that I like the best no matter who makes it.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.0/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP4/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/Vertx DA-62/

I have subscribed to the Xbox game pass since it was made available. It allows you to enjoy a large library of games for a monthly price without having to buy them. Within that library of games i currently play some of them already require data streaming. The point is I could just BUY the game and still get the data with NO monthly fee. 

MSFS will obviously peddle DLC, this combined with a large proportion of people using Xbox game pass (because it's really good!) and sales will generate Microsoft a fine profit. 

Stop peddling rubbish to discredit an alpha because P3D (at least for the home market) will go the way of the dodo. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

But Rob was adamant that he was right and we were wrong, and he continued on, spreading misinformation, is that not against Avsim's T&C's?

Edited by eaim
  • Upvote 1

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD, PALIT GTX 1070* 8 GB vRAM, CORSAIR H100i GTX Water cooler, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS

*new GPU planned (30xx or Big Navi) when I can get one but I may have to wait a short time (ie the more vRam the better or whatever I can afford) to see what's best for me.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

If it is the same person, then the problem is with the person.  But otherwise I see no problem with this coming back up.  If someone doesn't know, this is how they find out.  And hopefully we are here to share information.

Asking for information when you don't know something is completely fine. Spreading missinformation, not based on actual facts/official info and trying to disbelieve who tries to prove it wrong with facts/official info isn't fine.

And yes, it's the same people repeating the same false information over and over.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, shivers9 said:

Listen...I was top of my class during my third year of the fourth grade. There is nothing "new" about using photo scenery in P3D. The argument here is that you buy MSFS sim and every thing else is free. I just don't think that MS wants to give all that data away for free. If that is true then fine but I know I would not be willing to do that. It only make good sense that some how we will have to pay for it and that is fine with me.

Data can be encrypted. The fact that you'll have access to data for free IN GAME doesn't mean you can read or use the data elsewhere. And even if you could, you would have some legal issues if you copy it and manage to use it elsewhere.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance, I don't know @Rob_Ainscough but is he an influential person in the sim community as some are saying?

If this is true we have a problem, it seems he is spreading false information intentionally.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alepro21 said:

I think those who expect to get unlimited steaming of terrain, weather and traffic data for a single payment will be very disappointed once MS release their pricing pans for MSFS. That amount of data transfer isn’t cheap, even if you own your own cloud platform. Microsoft will expect fair payment for their ongoing use of data, which is fair enough.

As far as the night-lighting of P3D v5 is concerned: LM evidently haven’t invested in updating something most of us replace with 3rd part packages anyway, and I can’t say I’m bothered by this in the slightest. I can see how a new user coming to the platform would be very disappointed to find such dated visuals though. This shows once again though that LM doesn’t see itself in competition with X-Plane or MSFS, otherwise they would have surely tried to improve the scenery and night-lighting. Their real target audience is clearly no demanding such things. 

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

For the sake of this discussion let's say I except the MSFS side as the truth about free or no subscription for wx, AI, photo scenery. Well enough.

So you are saying we can down load it all from the cloud as long as we buy MSFS product for say $39.00 and that give us the right to use all that data and updates for ever.

Now let's say I still like P3D and also own it but I would like to use the FREE MS photo scenery and one of these Byte Jockeys like Rob just uses the his skill to write a program that will make the FREE MS photo scenery from my harddrive appear in my P3D. Now I don't think that MS would be very happy about that. Guy's it just does not make sense that MS is going to give all that away free and I am not a lawyer but I am not sure that a court case would hold if all this data and wx and AI is "freely" avail on the internet.

Oh for the love of god, have you ever heard of a service like Google Maps? Or Google Earth? Or Bing Maps? Every single one of them gives you high res satellite imagery, maps and photogrammetry WORLDWIDE and it's completely FREE, and any one of them by itself consumes far more bandwidth than what MSFS will ever use because the sheer amount of users, amounts that MSFS will simply never see. Or maybe you've heard of word not allowed Youtube, probably the single most bandwidth consuming website out there, but surprise surprise it's still free. Why on earth is it so hard to believe that MSFS will have streaming included in the price when it's a comparatively tiny bandwidth user but it's still backed by a colossal corporation like Microsoft?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Enough with this misinformation already. There is absolutely nothing exclusive to the Xbox Game Pass, neither the game or the online mode. Asobo have said that the pricing model is not locked-in at the moment (that was from an interview months ago though), but they've made it clear you do not need the Xbox Game Pass for the full experience. Or any experience at all. The Xbox site does not touch on that matter at all, I don't understand how this could have been misinterpreted so badly.

Prepar3D v5 running DirectX 12 is not a clear advantage, as optimisation of the application can matter a lot as well. Microsoft Flight was on DirectX 9, and its autogen system was way more efficient than what Prepar3D gives us today. And besides, a DirectX 12 and ray-tracing update has already been confirmed for Microsoft Flight Simulator, so even if that is a clear advantage, it won't be for long.

Those hints regarding the positives and the negatives of the SDK sound like a breach of the NDA as well.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, shivers9 said:

Well, you've got a good sense of humor. But I still think you're wrong.

• Like 1