Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

MSFS and Xbox game pass

6 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Listen...I was top of my class during my third year of the fourth grade. There is nothing "new" about using photo scenery in P3D. The argument here is that you buy MSFS sim and every thing else is free. I just don't think that MS wants to give all that data away for free. If that is true then fine but I know I would not be willing to do that. It only make good sense that some how we will have to pay for it and that is fine with me.

It's not free.... MS already own the data, and they'll use it for themselves when they want to, but they are not going to give it away to other companies for free. So if you want to use the data in a flight simming sense you'll have to buy MSFS.

• Upvote 1

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD, PALIT GTX 1070* 8 GB vRAM, CORSAIR H100i GTX Water cooler, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS

*new GPU planned (30xx or Big Navi) when I can get one but I may have to wait a short time (ie the more vRam the better or whatever I can afford) to see what's best for me.

Just now, nikita said:

Oh for the love of god, have you ever heard of a service like Google Maps? Or Google Earth? Or Bing Maps? Every single one of them gives you high res satellite imagery, maps and photogrammetry WORLDWIDE and it's completely FREE, and any one of them by itself consumes far more bandwidth than what MSFS will ever use because the sheer amount of users, amounts that MSFS will simply never see. Or maybe you've heard of word not allowed Youtube, probably the single most bandwidth consuming website out there, but surprise surprise it's still free. Why on earth is it so hard to believe that MSFS will have streaming included in the price when it's a comparatively tiny bandwidth user but it's still backed by a colossal corporation like Microsoft?

Well said. I really don't understand why some people find it so outlandish that Microsoft will essentially be providing Bing Maps through a $60 simulator. Millions of people use a service like Bing Maps, Microsoft is feeding petabytes of data to users with no subscription fee attached to it, last I checked. Yet much of the same data streamed in a simulator, where you slowly fly over it, meaning much less data is being streamed than something quickly scrolling through thousands of square kilometers of data, suddenly needs a company that owns some of the world's biggest data centers, to nickle and dime their users and essentially giving their own product a ton of bad publicity, as all their new users and console users would find it completely crazy to pay a subscription on top of the game's price. 

Not to mention, having a flight simulator wrapped around one of your core product is a great addition to Microsoft's portfolio, that holds more value in terms of improving Bing and pushing it to industry customers, than whatever they pay for streamed data. 

• Like 2

8700K Delid @ 5GHz | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X | Windows 10 Pro (2004) | Monitors: LG 27UK650 / Acer XB270HU

4 minutes ago, Noodle said:

We're dealing with real intellectuals, here.

Phew, glad I got that WASM for dummies book to bake my "Noodle" ... clarity is easy to get, have MS / Asobo posted their pricing policy and what one gets for it on one of their official websites (the only one I've seen is the one I linked) and not www.lanacion.com which I must admit is a website I never knew existed and was related to flight simulation?  As far as I can tell https://www.lanacion.com.ar is a Argentina news site and not a dedicated flight simulators or gaming or anything related to PC/XBOX. 

I posted a link to Microsoft own official web sites, if that's misinformation or not clear enough then blame Microsoft as it's their website.  If Microsoft want to make this crystal clear, they have a website to do that and it would bring something "official" to this discourse ... let's hope their next "Insider Update" is transparent.

Cheers, Rob.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I posted a link to Microsoft own official web sites, if that's misinformation or not clear enough then blame Microsoft as it's their website.  If Microsoft want to make this crystal clear, they have a website to do that and it would bring something "official" to this discourse ... let's hope their next "Insider Update" is transparent.

How many times will we have to repeat to you that the link you posted had nothing to do with your claims ?

Are you doing this on purpose ?

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Incredible, he's still holding his ground. Even an interview with the head of their Flight Sim studio, straight up debunking what he said, that isn't good enough because he doesn't like the website conducting the interview. This is such a blatant agenda that I'm at a loss for words. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

8700K Delid @ 5GHz | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X | Windows 10 Pro (2004) | Monitors: LG 27UK650 / Acer XB270HU

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Incredible, he's still holding his ground. Even an interview with the head of their Flight Sim studio, straight up debunking what he said, that isn't good enough because he doesn't like the website conducting the interview. This is such a blatant agenda that I'm at a loss for words. 

He doesn't know the site, so not valid. 😉😂😂

But we have to trust on his guts this sim will need a subscription... 

About that last part, it's clear since his first post around here after the official announcement. When someone is so critical about one thing and just can't see the flaws something else, you can guess what's happening. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Perfect then there is no problem. It will be great to get all that free data and AI then we can "see our own house when we fly P3D also.

Are you really thinking, that "streaming data for MSFS without additional cost" means the same, as "streaming data completely free for everyone"? 😉

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Sometimes i feel like i'm taking crazy pills. Or talking to stubborn children, or people paid to throw mud on MSFS in any way possible.

I think there's a movie about rejecting reality and logic and substituting it with what you want to see, was it the Twilight Zone?

Edited by nikita
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Are you really thinking, that "streaming data for MSFS without additional cost" means the same, as "streaming data completely free for everyone"? 😉

I'll just paste my comment from the previous page of this very thread:

Oh for the love of god, have you ever heard of a service like Google Maps? Or Google Earth? Or Bing Maps? Every single one of them gives you high res satellite imagery, maps and photogrammetry WORLDWIDE and it's completely FREE, and any one of them by itself consumes far more bandwidth than what MSFS will ever use because the sheer amount of users, amounts that MSFS will simply never see. Or maybe you've heard of word not allowed Youtube, probably the single most bandwidth consuming website out there, but surprise surprise it's still free. Why on earth is it so hard to believe that MSFS will have streaming included in the price when it's a comparatively tiny bandwidth user but it's still backed by a colossal corporation like Microsoft?

• Like 1

@Rob_Ainscough  You posted

My source: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

to quote: 

Get this game, plus unlimited access to over 100 more high-quality games for one low monthly price. Not a member?

Cheers, Rob.

----------------------------------

All that says is you can get this game and other games.  They use that same exact text for other games - https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/everwild    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/grounded

So that quote is not even specific to MSFS.

Is there something else on that page that supports your claims?

Otherwise you have an off the cuff comment "no subscription", and an actual interview with a dev.  (It doesn't matter if it is a flight sim site or not, as all they are doing is quoting the dev.)  Most people on here think that is enough evidence.  So unless you have something more, just agree to disagree, and stop bringing it up, as this is making no progress.

@eaim  @Noodle  @ca_metal Have none of you ever said something that turned out to be wrong?   I know I have.  It is part of the learning process to make mistakes.  Some say, if you aren't making mistakes then you aren't pushing yourself. 

I would hate to see threads closed just because misleading information was posted.  There is a saying, the best way to get the right answer is to post a wrong answer.  Anyway, if this did become policy, it sure seems easy to post wrong information a bunch of times in a thread, and then ask for the thread to be closed.  Seems an easy way to close down discussions you don't like.

• Upvote 2

My brother has Coronavirus, confirmed by testing. On 3/26 he almost didn't survive the night.  He had extreme trouble breathing and was given a steroid inhaler.  He was very weak, had nausea, and other issues that aren't pleasant.  As of this update he is feeling much better, and seems he will be fine.  Stay safe out there.  (Updated 4/6)

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Phew, glad I got that WASM for dummies book to bake my "Noodle" ...

Cheers, Rob.

Resorting to the ad hominem is a sure sign you're losing the argument.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, nikita said:

Sometimes i feel like i'm taking crazy pills. Or talking to stubborn children, or people paid to slander MSFS in any way possible.

I think there's a movie about rejecting reality and logic and substituting it with what you want to see, was it the Twilight Zone?

That and there's also good 'ol Mythbusters:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trainplane3 said:

That and there's also good 'ol Mythbusters:

That's exactly the quote i had in mind, thanks!

24 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Phew, glad I got that WASM for dummies book to bake my "Noodle" ... clarity is easy to get, have MS / Asobo posted their pricing policy and what one gets for it on one of their official websites (the only one I've seen is the one I linked) and not www.lanacion.com which I must admit is a website I never knew existed and was related to flight simulation?  As far as I can tell https://www.lanacion.com.ar is a Argentina news site and not a dedicated flight simulators or gaming or anything related to PC/XBOX. 

Cheers, Rob.

Ok, I've asked them, I'll see if I get a reply.

• Upvote 1

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD, PALIT GTX 1070* 8 GB vRAM, CORSAIR H100i GTX Water cooler, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS

*new GPU planned (30xx or Big Navi) when I can get one but I may have to wait a short time (ie the more vRam the better or whatever I can afford) to see what's best for me.