Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

MSFS and Xbox game pass

30 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Well, you've got a good sense of humor. But I still think you're wrong.

The truth is you may be right that I am wrong. That is sort of the whole point. We will not know for sure until MS gets this program ready for prime time and puts the final deal and cost on the "Buy Now" page. With that I am opening the canopy and stepping over the side. See you on release day!!

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.0/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP4/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/Vertx DA-62/

Posted (edited)

and if that would be the case - for this quality and for live traffic and weather - I wouldn't even care.

If they manage to fix the current bugs, add features for professional hardware (etc). why not - at least better than spending again over 1000 bucks (for the native updates, not for the installers) for the "new" P3D to get the same "old" look - I mean Rob, we've all been here longer and appreciate you, but I don't know why the FS2020 is being done so badly. I've also seen you in the alpha forum with a very negative attitude, I think the "new" one doesn't deserve that. I mean saying "old" and "new" is totally unfair, for sure - V5 has absolute a good and new staff, but, again, but I don't understand why this step in the right direction is being taken so badly (I don't mean the Xbox Pass, but the solution of the scenery rendering).

Edited by AUA425

Core i9 10920X@ 4.7 Ghz, watercooled, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, RAM 64GB G SKILL DDR4-3200 , Fractal Design R6, TUF X299 Mark 1, all SSD

Posted (edited)

Though I'm not even sure if the Devs would even know the final pricing plans at this point, that would be up to their publisher and their marketing team, and the sim is probably still half a year out.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nikita said:

I'll just paste my comment from the previous page of this very thread:

Oh for the love of god, have you ever heard of a service like Google Maps? Or Google Earth? Or Bing Maps? Every single one of them gives you high res satellite imagery, maps and photogrammetry WORLDWIDE and it's completely FREE, and any one of them by itself consumes far more bandwidth than what MSFS will ever use because the sheer amount of users, amounts that MSFS will simply never see. Or maybe you've heard of word not allowed Youtube, probably the single most bandwidth consuming website out there, but surprise surprise it's still free. Why on earth is it so hard to believe that MSFS will have streaming included in the price when it's a comparatively tiny bandwidth user but it's still backed by a colossal corporation like Microsoft?

Why did you react to me? 🙂 My answer was for shivers and I agree, that MSFS can use streaming data in one-time purchase without additional cost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Why did you react to me? 🙂 My answer was for shivers and I agree, that MSFS can use streaming data in one-time purchase without additional cost.

Oh my bad, i was a bit heated at the moment and didn't understand you correctly. See my "i feel like i'm taking crazy pills" comment.

• Like 1

Some things are simpler than they appear. Robin Ainscough is a very brilliant man. I think even his worst enemy would stipulate that fact in a court of law. But the simple fact is the Robin Ainscough had his feelings hurt in September of 2019 when he wasn't invited to the Seattle gathering of flight sim experts and online influencers. He probably should have been invited. Robin was also blindsided, as the rest of us were, by the original Flight Sim announcement on June 9, 2019. As a third-party developer (supposedly), Robin probably thought he should have been given a heads up on the Flight Sim announcement and recruited as part of the development team. Again, he perhaps should have been included. Froogle also reacted in a very negative way as an expert who was not informed beforehand. Froogle, however, was later invited to Seattle and quickly changed his tune after getting hands-on experience with the new sim. Let me quote the master of human relations, Dale Carnegie:

"You may argue with a man and employ all the logic of Aristotle. But you will never change his mind when you have hurt his feelings." -- Dale Carnegie

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully late April they will announce a ship date and pricing.

Late April is a "Save the date - Announcement", so could be ship date and pricing.

• Like 2

My brother has Coronavirus, confirmed by testing. On 3/26 he almost didn't survive the night.  He had extreme trouble breathing and was given a steroid inhaler.  He was very weak, had nausea, and other issues that aren't pleasant.  As of this update he is feeling much better, and seems he will be fine.  Stay safe out there.  (Updated 4/6)

24 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Robin was also blindsided, as the rest of us were, by the original Flight Sim announcement on June 9, 2019. As a third-party developer (supposedly), Robin probably thought he should have been given a heads up on the Flight Sim announcement and recruited as part of the development team. Again, he perhaps should have been included.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the E3 announcement was a complete surprise, with nobody not directly involved with the simulator's development being informed beforehand.

5 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the E3 announcement was a complete surprise, with nobody not directly involved with the simulator's development being informed beforehand.

Yes. I'm sure that's true. The E3 announcement certainly surprised me! But it surprised me in a very positive way, as does every Asobo public announcement and Feature Discovery Episode since that time. The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator should be cause for tremendous celebration and excitement. It is for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Well said. I really don't understand why some people find it so outlandish that Microsoft will essentially be providing Bing Maps through a $60 simulator.

I still find it completely amazing that people will apparently blindly accept without a shed of evidence that microsoft will be giving away for free something so many people are willing to pay so much money for.

Not quite as amazing as that guy throwing a huge tantrum that an xplane cd pack didnt include $5000 of flight sim hardware.

But same ballpark.

I can also think of a few amazing things people who expect everything for free should do to themselves.

AutoATC Developer, Provocateur 

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Yes. I'm sure that's true. The E3 announcement certainly surprised me! But it surprised me in a very positive way, as does every Asobo public announcement and Feature Discovery Episode since that time. The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator should be cause for tremendous celebration and excitement. It is for me.

I feel the same. Around that time I was feeling very frustrated with the slow overall progress and was wondering if flight simulation would ever get the modern treatment it deserved so badly. And out of nowhere came this trailer which blew me away and felt like the renaissance of flight simulators. And since then Asobo keep impressing with the amount of attention to detail, passion and love they're pouring into the simulator. But it's too bad some people feel they should spread misinformation and uncertainty to bring it down, in favour of platforms that slowed down progress to a crawl over the last decade or so...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nikita said:

Oh for the love of god, have you ever heard of a service like Google Maps? Or Google Earth? Or Bing Maps? Every single one of them gives you high res satellite imagery, maps and photogrammetry WORLDWIDE and it's completely FREE, and any one of them by itself consumes far more bandwidth than what MSFS will ever use because the sheer amount of users, amounts that MSFS will simply never see. Or maybe you've heard of word not allowed Youtube, probably the single most bandwidth consuming website out there, but surprise surprise it's still free. Why on earth is it so hard to believe that MSFS will have streaming included in the price when it's a comparatively tiny bandwidth user but it's still backed by a colossal corporation like Microsoft?

True, but do they do it for free? Google’s business model still rests almost entirely of advertisement revenue, and Google Maps has become a key part of their business model. Location data is obviously critical in order to display location based ads which is why these companies have been able to invest so massively in here (just think of the price tag for Street view alone!). Microsoft invested in Maps as parts of Bing which seeks to emulate the same model. 

Please don’t get me wrong: I’d be pleasantly surprised if MS makes all this for free once people spent $100 on the base application. I just don’t think it’s a sustainable business model, unless MS finds a way to charge users regularly. And if MS doesn’t make money on this then how long until the platform is on the cost cutting chopping block once again (ref ACES Studios during the GFC)? 

Anyway, all this is speculation on my part so don’t pay to much attention to my views, and certainly don’t get upset. I’m just saying that many of us will be putting thousands of hours on sim and I can’t see MS picking up the tap for development and cloud streaming on an ongoing basis unless they turn a profit. 

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

39 minutes ago, alepro21 said:

Please don’t get me wrong: I’d be pleasantly surprised if MS makes all this for free once people spent $100 on the base application. I just don’t think it’s a sustainable business model, unless MS finds a way to charge users regularly. And if MS doesn’t make money on this then how long until the platform is on the cost cutting chopping block once again (ref ACES Studios during the GFC)?

Maybe the streaming costs aren't that high, and they are looking to cover it with Xbox Game Pass revenue from those that do have Game Pass, combined with a cut of sales from the built-in marketplace? Or maybe they are planning on licensing the underlying engine and technology for other uses? There are plenty of options besides just charging each user a monthly subscription.

• Like 1

Don't know the broad band usage numbers yet but I've a hunch they'll make Comcast, for one, very happy - billing wise. 

Maybe MS can ELI5 Xbox game pass for everyone. I am not sure what’s confusing about it.  There are movies on Netflix that you can stream as part of their subscription but you can also purchase those movies for a higher onetime price and “own” them. The original Frozen and Moana in the hands of children have shown me that you are not charged a subscription even if you stream the movies for 14 hours a day once you buy them digitally. The $19.99 purchase price is all that is charged. 

EA insider has been doing this with games for a few years as well. 

• Like 2