Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

P3D v5 prep how to move the add-ons?

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It is more to keep all Addon files outside of the P3Dv5 root. That both ways work fine is true.

Again, keeping the files outside or inside the sim, doesn't make any difference ( good or bad ), if the actual scenery files from V4 need updates to show correctly in V5. There are difference which cannot be fixed by simply using an installation method or the other.

You must change the actual files and, as I've said, while it's reasonably easy to do for the original scenery developer, that knows how his scenery was made and ( assuming he was in the V5 beta ), knows how and where his sceneries are affected, it can be a nightmare for users, trying to figure it out why something doesn't look right.

32 minutes ago, newtie said:

Are you sure? No files get overwritten anywhere? Mark

The P3D installers name each folder with the version name so that not one single file from one version can be seen by another version.

Back on the scenery install topic. I created two partitions on my HD. One very basic with nothing on it but a web browser. I install on that drive into a fake P3D folder and track down all the scenery files and create an add-on.xml

Some or those installs put a lot of files in the base sim folder.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Again, keeping the files outside or inside the sim, doesn't make any difference ( good or bad ), if the actual scenery files from V4 need updates to show correctly in V5. There are difference which cannot be fixed by simply using an installation method or the other.

You must change the actual files and, as I've said, while it's reasonably easy to do for the original scenery developer, that knows how his scenery was made and ( assuming he was in the V5 beta ), knows how and where his sceneries are affected, it can be a nightmare for users, trying to figure it out why something doesn't look right.

Out of curiosity, how does this effect photoreal scenery? For example MegaSceneryEarth, and any autogen packages that cover them (e.g. Nuvecta)? Are there any updated necessary for that as well?

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

14 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Out of curiosity, how does this effect photoreal scenery? For example MegaSceneryEarth, and any autogen packages that cover them (e.g. Nuvecta)? Are there any updated necessary for that as well?

Curious also.  I know rob was using the MSE Utah.  I currently use Cali north/south, utah, arizona, colorado, phoenix, florida, nevada in P3DV4

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

17 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

If there is only a scenery + texture folder without extra files it should work both ways..

Rob has already tried several MSE sceneries in V5 ( see his vids )

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If there is only a scenery + texture folder without extra files it should work both ways..

MSE should be as easy as add the new scenery.

or Drop .xml into p3d add-on and done.

Too bad most dev don't trust their customers or else this would have been done along time ago.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

You have pretty much made up my mind...that I will certainly have a virgin, separate install of P3D v5, and will populate that install with 3rdP content that has been officially noted as now V5 enabled/modified for.  So, I will enjoy what new features there are...will get use to flying and manipulating the settings and general feel and usage of v5,...but will have a fully functional v4.5 to fly in conjunction. Yep..that's what the plan is for tomorrow!

My plan as well. I have ordered a new 2TB M2 SSD that will be P3DV5 only. 

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

1 hour ago, Reader said:

The P3D installers name each folder with the version name so that not one single file from one version can be seen by another version.

Thanks.

I'm more inclined to try the new version knowing that I don't have to make a 'trade'. :>)

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Curious also.  I know rob was using the MSE Utah.  I currently use Cali north/south, utah, arizona, colorado, phoenix, florida, nevada in P3DV4

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

True, forgot about that! Thanks guys for reminding me of this. So at least it'll work. I only asked because Umberto suggested that some sceneries will need updating if they already use 'modern' P3Dv4.4.-specific features, such as PBR etc. I'm not sure if there has been any change in how photoreal scenery is implemented, so that it would require an update. I sure as hell hope not... The thought of downloading a special version of P3Dv5 makes me cringe. Like you, @micstatic, I have a lot of MegaSceneryEarth installed, as well as bunch of Matthias' photosceneries. Hundreds of gigabytes of data I'd rather not have to reinstall.

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

6 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

True, forgot about that! Thanks guys for reminding me of this. So at least it'll work. I only asked because Umberto suggested that some sceneries will need updating if they already use 'modern' P3Dv4.4.-specific features, such as PBR etc. I'm not sure if there has been any change in how photoreal scenery is implemented, so that it would require an update. I sure as hell hope not... The thought of downloading a special version of P3Dv5 makes me cringe. Like you, @micstatic, I have a lot of MegaSceneryEarth installed, as well as bunch of Matthias' photosceneries. Hundreds of gigabytes of data I'd rather not have to reinstall.

No issues with pr scenery from MSE or from Matthias...

PR scenery are only photo tiles + AG. 

If the developer adds custom objects that use new features then you need to pay attention to that and wait for a V5 installer.

But that is mainly with airports.

I guess that Orbx won’t release the TE series tomorrow with all new features. 
So you probably will install the current versions with new installers through Central.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

No issues with pr scenery from MSE or from Matthias...

PR scenery are only photo tiles + AG. 

If the developer adds custom objects that use new features then you need to pay attention to that and wait for a V5 installer.

But that is mainly with airports.

I guess that Orbx won’t release the TE series tomorrow with all new features. 
So you probably will install the current versions with new installers through Central.

Well, that is the point, right...? That is exactly what I'm expecting, but I'm hoping to hear from somebody with access to the beta about this. If you indeed have that access - then I'm glad to hear that you can confirm my hypothesis.

Benjamin van Soldt

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

Let us not forget about SODE. A new version is needed and updates to each airport that requires SODE will need to be offered by the dev. As Ricardo from LatinVFR pointed out.

Most of my sceneries still install the old fashion way with files going everywhere including effects, global scenery, sounds, etc. We could try to trick the installers but we would still need to check the SODE files. Make a backup of the SODE folder just in case.

Oliver is the expert in this area so I'll defer to him.

SODE 1.67 is for V5 and is available now.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I believe addons which are in the Prepar3d V4 addons directory (or externally installed) - those should be super easy to work in P3Dv5

Well those inside the root directory - well that will be annoying as files could be in multiple directories.  Devs should follow the new method - save time and agony.  It would be fun to see A2A birds pop up immediately as they follow the new method of installation for p3dv4 anyway.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Why it's so difficult to wait 3-4 weeks, while the things with add-ones settle down. Then the same gang of "early adopters" will be crying river of tears blaming developers etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1