Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Will you buy Prepar3D V5

Will you buy Prepar3D V5 Poll  

508 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you buy Prepar3D V5

• on release date
    • after a sufficient number of addons are confirmed compatible and free or reasonably priced
    • Never

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2020 at 03:57 AM

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

What it boils down to is you have an axe to grind against LM because your one man opinion that they have not furthered the hobby to your liking thus you want everyone to know that v5 is, again in your opinion, a waste of time. So you take the time to come into a thread to let everyone know. When confronted with putting up facts you failed to do so in any meaningful way and tried to deflect. And now you parrot another posters numbers and again they lack any context because you don't have P3D numbers. Poor, very poor.

This thread was explicitly started to express an opinion regarding P3D V5; To that end, I presented a cogent argument, which was recognized as such by multiple posters.  Until you entered the fray, it was fruitful and benign.  The data requested was provided, by two posters from three different sources; it clearly shows FSX still enjoys a significant user base.  However, said data doesn't fit your narrative; so, you moved the goal post by demanding more irrelevant/unattainable data (e.g. P3D sales).  In doing so, you attempted to enter a circular logic argument, which is the hallmark of someone with an inability to codify their argument and/or defend their position.  Again, I never stated FSX was more popular than P3D or Xplane: I merely stated a significant amount of people still use FSX; 500,000 copies sold over 2 years (2M total) and 6K uses online at once are significant numbers, by any metrics.  In comparison, AVSIM 'only' has 230K members, with 2K representing the 'most online.'  Do you consider this base insignificant?  Do I have to show you data from other Flight Sim websites to support the notion that AVSIM has 'a significant user base.'  Obviously the answer is no; however, you prefer to continue with your intellectual dishonesty vice acknowledging your ignorance...

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 2

Matt King

3 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Since when is it trolling and/or negativity to express sincere displeasure with a product?  Is it trolling because the opinions differ from yours?  Some of you need a reality check; LM is not some benevolent organization offering it's services free of charge, nor are they some mom-and-pop company struggling to succeed.  In point of fact, they're the worlds leading weapons manufacture and 60th largest corporation of the globe; their current market cap is a staggering 104.57 Billion dollars. In short, as consumers of their products, we should be demanding more and they certainly have the resources to deliver more.  To that point, the 5 iterations of their titles have done little to advance the ESP platform, especially when compared against other games.  To illustrate this notion, compare Flight Simulator 5.1 with FSX (11 years between sims); the two simulators are completely unrecognizable and easily distinguishable from one another...they're not even in the same league.  Now, compare P3D V1 with P3D V5 (11 years between sims); if you're being fair, you'll note the differences are not that stark, which explains why so many are still using FSX.  When MS left the genera, simmers were forced to accept this paradigm; however, today, with XP starting to eclipses the ESP platforms in appearance and functionality, and MSFS on the horizon, the paradigm is shifting.  This so called negativity and trolling should be heeded by LM; if they want to continue to augment their professional licence sales, they should start improving their base simulator.  I don't believe their current business model will be successful going forward.  To be clear, the improvements should not focus on third-party developers abilities to fabricate and sell us more products, but to the core simulator itself.  If they don't, I believe simmers will shift to the competing products that offer more functionality out-of-the-box.   

BTW, it's ironic that you don't share this perspective; after all, you have 14 add-on environmental programs alone listed in your signature block.  2006 is long gone; thus, don't you find it a little absurd to buy, maintain and update so many programs just to create a realistic environment?  

You're 11 year timeline is a garbage argument. 

Look at AAA games made 11 years ago. Some of the top franchises....they honestly haven't changed that much. At least not lien the changes made from 5.1 to FSX. 

Call of duty, Madden, the code masters f1 franchise. (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. F1 2010 was only 10 years ago.) 

All these games look slightly better than their 11...or 10 year old counter parts. The difference? Better lighting and rendering. There aren't ground breaking graphical technologies that take these games into new generations of computer games. They improved...but not by leaps and bounds like games 11 years prior to current titles.

The fact of the matter is the computing and graphic revolutions that happened during the time period of 5.1 to FSX were much much more astronomical than the past 11 years. 

Just like ps3 to ps4.....not many crazy things have happened....but from ps2 to  ps4....oh goodness...so much has happened. Actually ps2 to ps4 took 13 years to accomplish that generational leap. 

Long story short, if someone looks at FSX and then compares it to p3d v5 and says not much has changed, either they are blind as a bat, or completely delusional.

I'm not some p3d word not allowed. I don't actually use it all that much anymore. Just in the winter times and maybe only 50 hours of flying. I'm extremely excited for the msfs 2020 game to be released. However, I'm going to buy p3d v5 because I can afford to during this time and think what they did to it compared to where it was back in v3 is quite astonishing considering the fact FSX doesn't even have shadows in the cockpit unless you get some payware program to make dx10 "work."

• Like 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I'm done with the P3D cycle. After seeing the weather gifs on the latest insider I'll wait till FS2020. With the announcement that the PMDG 747 is gonna be released as well on FS2020 it's obviously not going to be like MSFlight.  

And the argument that P3D isn't for entertainment, fine, then spend more money on it to try and shine the terd that it is. Let it be used for training. I want to be entertained rather than flying through bland textures!

Edited by VBHB
  • Like 4

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

I’ll buy v5 when it’s released. I’ll also buy MFS when it is released.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gpf3m said:

I’ll buy v5 when it’s released. I’ll also buy MFS when it is released.

Absolutely!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I'll buy at day one, and  I will only install add-ons that are state of the art and truly v5 compatible. No port-overs.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yes. 

And the major reason is Truesky. It is a big leap forward in atmospheric immersion. 

• Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

2 hours ago, kingm56 said:

This thread was explicitly started to express an opinion regarding P3D V5

Not that I want to get to involved in the spat but this thread was explicitly start to gauge the opinions of others regarding P3D V5 in the light of the pre-release negativity.

I aught to know! 😁

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

You're 11 year timeline is a garbage argument. 

Look at AAA games made 11 years ago. Some of the top franchises....they honestly haven't changed that much. At least not lien the changes made from 5.1 to FSX. 

Cconsidering the fact FSX doesn't even have shadows in the cockpit unless you get some payware program to make dx10 "work."

First, i appreciate the discussion; however, I disagree with your assertion.  Lets take Madden and COD for example. Are you honestly telling me you can't see a stark difference between Madden 2009 and Madden 2020?  Moreover, you do realize EA changed the underlying engine 3x during that 11 years, right?  In 2018, EA replaced the Ignite game with the Forsbite engine. That, in itself, is a MAJOR change that far outstrips anything we've experienced in this genre.  Concerning COD, they use an in-house engine developed by Infinity Ward; said engine underwent 5x major graphical/engine updates from 2005 to 2016 (11 years).  Specifically, COD 2 used IW 2.0 and COD Infinite Warefare employed IW 7.0.  So, you're notion that these titles 'hasn't changed that much' is widely inaccurate. In fact, you strengthen my argument; to that point, I only wish the ESP platform had as many engine updates to take advantage of modern hardware.  

Also, your statement regarding the need for FSX to use an addon to generate shadows in the cockpit is perplexing.  To that point, its equally odd that I need a shadder program for P3D to generate accurate water/sky colors.  How many add-ons does P3D require to generate a realistic environment?  Ultimately, my argument is both programs STILL require 10 to 20 add-ons to create a reasonable facsimile of the living world...and that my friends is the problem!

Again, I appreciate your perspective and the fact that you backed up your points with substance.  

Edited by kingm56
  • Upvote 2

Matt King

16 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

Not that I want to get to involved in the spat but this thread was explicitly start to gauge the opinions of others regarding P3D V5 in the light of the pre-release negativity.

I aught to know! 😁

LOL...not at all, sir.  The point I'm trying to express is the negativity maybe earned; BTW, I hate to use the word negativity; instead, I prefer feedback.  I want LM to stay in the Flt Sim business; however, I think their current model is deeply flawed.  It's my hope they adjust based on said feedback and deliver a much more compelling base simulator going forward.  

Matt King

As soon as the dust settles I'm in,

A post on P3D forum about P3D is not out of place if your looking for a spat post P3D threads in the MSFS forum OH!!! someone has already done that. 

And post MSFS threads in the P3D forum I remember when Avsim would have locked them the good old days.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Performance and compatibility. Those two need to be confirmed before I upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Performance and compatibility. Those two need to be confirmed before I upgrade.

I'm still a little worried about things like my GoFlight modules.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I voted after release, but I will wait 2-3 days as I have to work and have enough time to install v5.

And then I am able to see what the experience from others are and what suggestions have come up regarding installing / “tuning” 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0