Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Will you buy Prepar3D V5

Will you buy Prepar3D V5 Poll  

508 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you buy Prepar3D V5

• on release date
    • after a sufficient number of addons are confirmed compatible and free or reasonably priced
    • Never

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2020 at 03:57 AM

Poll result ( if that is representative ) is surprisingly good for LM.

I thought in the light of new MS sim, P3D5 will be skipped by majority, but poll shows different trend. 

Edited by Beardyman

Artur 

4 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I thought in the light of new MS sim, P3D5 will be skipped by majority, but poll shows different trend. 

I'm not surprised at all. We've been on a mission for better visuals & fps since FS1.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Hardly surprising, $60 for nearly double the fps performance is a steal, let alone the other improvements...

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

11 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

People love drama.  For all the tandrums and anti-P3D sentiment post MSFS, most will still end up buying V5.  The wait is too long for MSFS.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, kingm56 said:

I wrote troll and you were triggered... 

Shoo, shoo, nothing to see here! 

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

6 hours ago, gpf3m said:

I’ll buy v5 when it’s released. I’ll also buy MFS when it is released.

That's the reality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Think this is a good opportunity to do some flight sim spring cleaning and start a fresh V5 folder.  Doesnt sound like it will be too long for many addons to port over and provide installers. 

Can get rid of a bunch of old addon scenery freeware airports since they dont match the real world much and look forward to the new updated database.  They wont be steller but way better than a 2006 database.   V5 should give plenty of flying opportunity until MSFS not only releases but matures a bit with proper addons.  

• Like 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

36 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I'm not surprised at all. We've been on a mission for better visuals & fps since FS1.

+1

better visuals:
I don't like the water in FSX very much (satisfied, but could be better).
But when I compare the ugly black water Rob has presented us at the shores of California, it is not an improvement, it's a worsening.

better fps:
I'm still running FSX on a notebook (o.k. - it's a gaming notebook, but it's nearly 5 years old).
When I see what hardware is necessary for running P3Dv5 fluently, I can't see much progress either.

Edit:
The question is: is it worth to spend all this time for a new install (P3Dv4 -> v5), to stay regularely informed and hunt for the updates and all this trouble on one side to get the improvements from V5 on the other side?

What I've seen it would not be worth all this trouble even from switching from FSX to P3Dv5.

Edited by PhotoReal Earth
  • Like 1

I haven't decided yet. I don't want to spend $200 (or however much it will be) on the v5 license then have MFS come out later this year(?) and have to spend money to buy that sim. I can afford that.

plus I want to see what v5 looks like from simmers like you guys and not from videos of the sim with setting set to the lower settings

Edited by Joseph29
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gpf3m said:

I’ll buy v5 when it’s released. I’ll also buy MFS when it is released.

Yep...and another way for my v5.0 'justification' is that over the years...I've had no issues with laying down coin, for supporting FS9/FSX/P3D/XP.   For they all made whatever the base sim came with...a more personal and better visual/tactical experience. Ok..now with  that written,  (and it took me a day or two to reason it our for myself since the announcement and the ghastly official and FSElite night infamous video (!!!)), I really took a look at v5.0, laying aside, my 'how could THEY!/you have got to be kidding, initial emotional reaction (hey, I'm human),  and looked at the truly new features never seen in an prior L.M. P3D release.  Two, I'm going to address here... Firstly, (and firstly for my own requirements) was that they have totally revamped, (not tweaked code on the current water rendering physics and graphic output), but have actually outsourced and in partnership with the no-slouch---->nVidia, have totally replaced what was in P3D 4.5 and back to the original release, the nVidia WaveWorks v2.0 water physics and graphics engine.  Folks...dang...this is HUGE, in P3d release history. Huge!  I did my due diligence over at nVidia on their in-fact, dedicated site to this new wonder engine (and for what it can put out...wow, is virtual ocean, lake, river, stream, dribble, rain....spectacular realism put up on a computer monitor display!)  Go there yourself and lurk around..reading the articles, watching the demo videos...seeing the 'think' behind it all...as I did. 

secondly...TrueSky.   

I bought through STEAM, FSW, and just before it planked, they added a TrueSky implementation...that mind you, was not a full run...but a test bed, in their Beta.  FSW had some fabulous concepts, but never made it out of almost, lite version, whatever, so we never saw the full scope of a complete TrueSky  endeavor.  Again...pouring myself another coffee yesterday afternoon, I did once more..due diligence off the AVSIM site...and checked out the tech behind TrueSky...not only clouds..but atmospherics...mist, fog, moving cloud banks, changing, morphing as you fly through them...ethereal...not a wall of white...  Again...I said, man...this isn't a push-out-the-door-let's call-this v5.0-from-here-on.  No!  This was again, a novel, and HUGE upgrade to the P3D franchise.  These two major upgrades to the P3D flight sim franchise...spoke to my past buying logic.  If these would have come out, as STAND ALONE 'virus code' that could actually self write and embed itself into the v4.5 proprietary coding from L.M...and not become a 'tweak' or add-on that has to be sniffed upon startup....folks...speaking only for myself...I would have picked up those two programs (my gawd!) in a heartbeat!!!!   They most likely would have each been around $54.00-$110.00 (a la Orbx past initial release pricing..for their major Global range)  So, Mitch, I said to myself around 12:00 noon, yesterday...what is the resistance to this?  In otherwords, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?!?  Emotional?  They didn't kick up the ground sparks and terrain?  "No, they didn't" said to the guy with the pitchfork on my left shoulder!"  Then the guy on the right shoulder put down his harp...bent toward my ear...and said; "Mitch, if these were stand along offerings...a new and complete water engine, a new and complete weather physics and cloud physics engine...., would you buy the two, Mitch?"   I turned my head to the right shoulder and whispered, "HELL YEAH".  Well folks, the guy in the white robe, that can't play a harp for his life...he needs serious practice...well, his reasonable argument held the day. The other guy with the pitchfork, yelled for the both of us, to do something that I can't post here...and well...folks, that was that.  I was in!  

Humor aside...think about my argument, leave disappointment's emotion aside...and LOOK at what is being released with v5.0 tomorrow..and ask yourself..truly,  if there was no MSFS2020 (which exists..but not for the masses...on Tuesday, not May, not June, not July, not August.....perhaps near December....would you have purchased those two dynamic game-changing 'add-on' 3rdP programs, if we were still looking at P3D and XPlane as the two still active, still evolving Flight Sim Platforms.  I would bet my 401 K, that most would...and there would be two threads in this P3D Forum, ramp with yeah's and nay's...technical questions about the new Water Engine rewrite that you had just purchased and installed, questions and/or testimonials of the new Cloud/Weather/Physics 3rDP you just installed...and yay, or nay,  tech questions...yep this Forum would be active and crackling....Well...those two brand new implementations ARE going to be released, tomorrow.  For the price of one...you will get two.  Then just load in your already and most useful support 3rdP programs...and EXPLORE your two new additions to the P3D Franchise.  That...the above...in total, is my personal justification model for having totally taken a 180 turn, from my first posting, seen on the FSElite Night Lights video thread. That was the first, the second was the abysmal 'official' L.M v5.0 trailer.  Then Rob stepped up to the plate and SHOWED us..ground (with Orbx Global..yep),Sky, and for myself,.my focus of late,.. ocean water..that now was virtually 'living and dynamic'.  That changed my mind. That sold me....   Step back...do your due diligence...read up on the 'behind the scenes' of the two new major offerings in P3D v5.0, and you might also make a U-Turn on how you presently feel, regarding, would you update? Would you not?  Will you hold out with the present v4.5 and hope to see MSFS2020 sooner than later down the Month PathWay...  Stay safe, in these challenging times....and for myself...I have made the decision to install tomorrow, P3D v5.0 and explore, check out, and mostly...ENJOY what those two new features bring to my flight sim enjoyment, based on the M.S. original.

Cheers

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

The question is: is it worth to spend all this time for a new install (P3Dv4 -> v5), to stay regularely informed and hunt for the updates and all this trouble on one side to get the improvements from V5 on the other side?

What I've seen it would not be worth all this trouble even from switching from FSX to P3Dv5.

That's a personal view. What you find "trouble", I find funny and entertaining to do. Follow each developer, install updates, get an up to date and higher performing sim. No trouble at all. 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

8 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

better fps:
I'm still running FSX on a notebook (o.k. - it's a gaming notebook, but it's nearly 5 years old).
When I see what hardware is necessary for running P3Dv5 fluently, I can't see much progress either.

yes, but don't forget how much more terrain and autogen is loaded, PBR......

for sure more power is needed

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

"Will you buy Prepar3D V5"

No!

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Of course I will 🙂

• Like 3

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471