Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

Force ALL Addons for P3D V5 to use XML method outside the ro

Force ALL Addons for P3D V5 to use XML method outside the root P3D folder?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. I would like to see that LM forces ALL addons to the new XML method for installing Addons outside the root P3D folder, even if some of the devs won´t "update" their addons to this method and they become "unusable" in P3D V5

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Know.

Great message! 

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

A simple idea like to have one sim folder for gauges or each addon specifies its own folder structure. Evolution of the methods can be seen to have massive benefit especially when considering the number of addons we acquire, in the long term can be in the hundreds. Can be useful looking at Steam FSX:SE installs and progressing the ideas there. The direction is to get everyone concerned firmly on the same page, and with application security properly managed too. That way we will all benefit from fuss free software upgrades and no security holes.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I don't think FORCING anyone to do anything is a smart move, especially in a hobby as small as this.

Leave the choice up to the developers and their customers.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

2 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

Leave the choice up to the developers and their customers.

If by developer you mean "Lockheed-Martin", absolutely.

What's the old saying - if Henry Ford had listened to his customers he would have built a better buggy?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Maintaining compatibility is part of the success of these simulators, with each phase of progression that's harder to continue.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Dont you think the backwards compatibility is having a negativ influemce on develooment speed bringing the platform forward? 😉

Is it slowing things down?  Unquestionably yes.  But haste makes waste, as they say.  I think the reception LM gets to each new release would be a LOT different if they broke everything and we had to start over and repurchase nearly every airplane, airport, weather, utility and other add-on in the hangar.  Incrementalism spreads out the pain...yes, some would like to rip off the bandaid, but I think most would not want to.  Even Asobo is reportedly including some backwards compatibility to old FSX methods (e.g.FDE).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

There are two sides to this camp.  I want new ways of doing it b/c it saves me massive time; I value my time more than my addons.  P3D3.4 was released on 9/19/2016 and that was a while ago - active developers had ample of time to change and move forward.  It really is not that challenging to make hooks to read the file from certain directory.  For example, I was manually able to do it for Majestic Q400 - they just copied few files into effect folder and Lorby's tool allowed me to do move over and create xml.  Could the developers do it - absolutely - there isn't any justification to stick with old method.  

If people like the old way that is fine too.  I am just Not going to spend any money on any developers products who do not follow new method. 

We all get what we want 

Lets all enjoy the new sim 🍻🤗

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

On 4/14/2020 at 12:39 AM, mpo910 said:

Could you explain why? Is there a benefit? Would be nice if you share your thoughts with us. 

The benefit is that I find it easier.  Every thing is installed in the core P3D4 folder and all scenery is added to the scenery library.

I have used the add-on xml method and it is without question more complicated, and for what?

Anyhow, we're all different and have our own preferences.  Why force people to use a certain method when it's not necessary?

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS