Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to V5 I go....

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

No, been there, done that.  I don't use any more placebo's.  Was never sure that it worked.   I use three reliable cfg entry changes which do add value.  

I think my issue was caused by me deleting old P3Dv4.4 folders and I think something it that folder was linked to my current installation.  It's after my hard drive 'spring clean' that my issues started.  So, I cant really even blame P3D.  I think the issue was self-induced

Ah okay. I just experienced something similar after testing out AMs, especially certain individuals recommending not using your Core 0. The second I've done that on any setup, the world will just stop rendering correctly. Textures go smooth, autogen disppears completely etc. so thought you might have been in a similar situation. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2020 Day #1 cannot come fast enough for me!  Already thinking about a new rig just in case...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sethos said:

especially certain individuals recommending not using your Core 0.

I honestly don't know why people are so irrationally obsessed with this.

Edited by ErichB

2 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

2020 Day #1 cannot come fast enough for me!  Already thinking about a new rig just in case...

It's not going to happen any time soon.  If you really enjoy flightsimming, I wouldn't wait for that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

You should stand up and be applauded for your honesty ... if only everyone having issues would do that, solutions would come fast, not require as much work, and get people flying rather than twiddling.

Here are some big dangers:

1.  Too high an CPU Overclock will trigger some file corruption (I've seen this happen many times that's why it's very important to get things really truly stable), too high a GPU overclock can result in device hung errors.

2.  People move files and folders around without understanding the implications (I have a brother-in-law that does this all the time, he sees a folder he doesn't recognize and just deletes it, ouch!).

3.  People manually edit .cfg, .xml, .ini files and make mistakes and/or overwrite important settings/values or worse yet save the file in the wrong location (especially common with two sets of DLL.XML and EXE.XML files where I've spotted duplicate entries or missing elements of an entry, and getting someone to admit to a typo is a venture not worth pursuing).

4.  Hacked or illegal version of Add-On that's been wrangled to try and get working (the lengths some folk go to to save a buck boggles my mind)

5.  FSX legacy product that someone tried to make work in P3D

6.  A purchased add-on screws it up

#6 above does happen, but it's far less frequent than items 1-5 above.  I've looked at and worked with many user configurations over the decade or so and helped them get out of the self-induced mess ... lets face it, it's much easier to just blame LM (and sometimes it's valid) but solutions are found with honesty and acceptance.  So a big congrats on your part.

Cheers, Rob.

Great answer  from both you and ErichB. Hats off.👍

43 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

5.  FSX legacy product that someone tried to make work in P3D

Heh!  It helps a lot if you know what you're doing. 😄  

I agree with the other points you've made.

When I was looking to upgrade from P3Dv2.5 to v4 I was currently flying the Aerosoft BeaverX the most.  I didn't even look at v4 until I had that fully upgraded to work.  It was easy enough to fix three xml files to work in v2.5 and fixing the engine gauges required extracting the artwork from the FS9 vintage .gau file, then writing the necessary XML code to drive them.  The BeaverX works fine in P3Dv4 and even with the lower resolution textures and mesh I much prefer it to other versions of the Beaver.

By the time I'd done that all the other add-ons I use had been updated to work in v4 so it was an easy decision.  Except, of course, the FSX ones that wouldn't work in P3Dv2.5 either. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, Sethos said:

Would you happen to be using any affinity masks, Erich?

An odd question because this cant affect anything. You see, core affinity can't be avoided:

Let's say you have a four core (no HT) and you don't use the jobscheduler section in the cfg - right? You are on AM=15 decimal or 1111 binary which is of course all four cores. Let's say you upgrade to a six core. No AM? That's AM=63 or 111111 six ones. Again upgrade to an 8 core 11111111 = AM=255. So on a 32 core you may only want to allocate 8 or 10 maybe more or less. Whether an AM makes a difference to performance or not is too dependent on how things are done hardware, number of cores, what else is on there running too, hyperthreading etc. Affinity masks get a bad name unnecessarily, they have their uses, make no mistake.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I knew, okay presumed an update was coming around.  Normally happens with every version of MSFS_Prepar3d for thirty years just gets.... you know,  running as smooth as butter on my systems and then BAM ........   UPDATE.  Try again

Okay ready for V5.  Bring it on!!!!

Steve

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Absolutely, but we all make mistakes, I've made enough "adjustments, typos, etc." to embarrass myself ... it happens even with very experienced users.

It still surprises me when something works the first time. 😄 

A couple of days ago I had a situation where someone else spelled a variable wrong and I spelled it correctly and the code only partially worked.  A quick inspection of the code uncovered the error.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

A few days ago I wasn't sure when or if I was going to go to v5, but after seeing some new screenshots and videos I think I will be moving to v5 also. MAYBE as soon as it comes out.

Please rate my sign then? My motherboard burned out 2 days ago.  New mobo and power supply on the way...

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI