Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Prepar3D V5 Release Time & Price

Just now, ErichB said:

Value is a relative thing.  It has always been that way. Just because you're aggrieved by the pricing model, doesn't make them 'dishonest'.  It's a transparent model, and you can choose to buy or not.   It doesn't mean that I  (or anyone else) who does pay for it,  has lots of money either.  We just perceive the value of what we are getting, differently.  That's just the way the world works.

I agree. Could you please share your view of the world with me then? What value do you see in the update? Is it really worth the price to you?

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

22 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

This is merely an update, not a new product. If they seriously ask v4 owners to repurchase, they're out of their minds. Especially with MSFS 2020 around the corner.

Some companies in the flight sim world make me sick. Come on, it's a joke... $60 for what exactly? Lol.

P3D won't receive another penny from me if it really is like this.

So, when MSFS charged for new versions you didn't buy them for the same reason? I assume you are still running P3D1 for the same reason. This is a major upgrade, not a point release and they are entitled to charge as they have always done for a major release. They do it, ms does it even FSUIPC has a new version.

I respect your opinion but you are way off the mark on this one.

Vic

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Not way off. IMO. Notice the IMO!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

So, when MSFS charged for new versions you didn't buy them for the same reason? I assume you are still running P3D1 for the same reason. This is a major upgrade, not a point release and they are entitled to charge as they have always done for a major release. They do it, ms does it even FSUIPC has a new version.

Vic

That's the problem - I don't see the majority in it. What makes it a major update? What features? The only sign of a major update for me is that they slapped number five on it.

I owned FSX for years and then purchased P3D v4 because that was indeed major update - 64bit architecture. Now the MSFS 2020 looks like a major update (obviously).

• Like 1

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

35 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

This is merely an update, not a new product. If they seriously ask v4 owners to repurchase, they're out of their minds. Especially with MSFS 2020 around the corner.

That is clearly not the way it's been described on their web site.  So if you have such measurable knowledge then LM has put itself at high risk for false advertising.  I doubt seriously their legal staff would stand for that....  Will you be filing a lawsuit?  Whoops.  If you do not buy, evaluate, and not return the product you would have no standing for a lawsuit.  

Fortunately for you, they will not pursue your public claim about their product....  small fish...

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, Thomasso said:

That's the problem - I don't see the majority in it. What makes it a major update? What features? The only sign of a major update for me is that they slapped number five on it.

I owned FSX for years and then purchased P3D v4 because that was indeed major update - 64bit architecture. Now the MSFS 2020 looks like a major update (obviously).

Going to DX12 alone is a major step.The ability to offload much more to the GPU is also a big plus. However, if you don't find that important or nothing else in the changelog entices you - stay with 4.5.

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

12 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

I am not, but I am a manager and you price your products according to what value your customer perceives in it. Not how much effort you put into it. If you put effort but didn't create value, then that's your problem. Customers don't really care about dev's effort. Only about the value they're gonna get for money. I don't see a $60 value in this update as a customer. Do you? Why?

The term 'value' is a highly subjective thing! Things which makes great value for some, might make zero value for others.

Please, please, don't make assumptions, that your own view of everything, necessary is shared by everyone on the planet. You are of course more than welcome to express your thoughts, but please make it clear, that they indeed are your thoughts and please don't state your opinion as fact. 

It is beyond me, that you can state, that this is merely an update and express what amount of work went into it, without knowing anything about the complexity of the developmental process. Again - you even state this as a fact... I don't know where you come up with this?! 

For instance, personally, I find the new atmospheric additions, cloud system and wave improvements highly valuable to me. It's something I have sought after for a long time. Not even talking about the performance improvements and DX12. I honestly find these new features and improvements larger than the step from Prepar3D 3.X to Prepar3D 4.X. 

Sorry for the rant, people... I look forward in trying it out, in a couple of hours. 

Cheers!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

why do you keep feeding the trolls? 

• Upvote 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

6 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

What makes it a major update?

New atmospheric model, new graphics rendering engine, new water engine, sloped runways.    In the grand scheme of updates, that's huge. 

And I guess you're a student or part of a flight school programme of some kind - otherwise your price is $200.  So,  it's a steal for you.

This is obviously a troll post

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

Just now, fppilot said:

That is clearly not the way it's been described on their web site.  So if you have such measurable knowledge then LM has put itself at high risk for false advertising.  I doubt seriously their legal staff would stand for that....

Yeah, because they will surely write that the update isn't worth buying. Their marketing manager would be thrilled by that, for sure... Come on 🙂.

Tomáš Pokorný

@Thomasso - what makes you think, that MSFS is 'just around the corner' ?!

My personal belief is, that we'll see MSFS in about 9-12 months from now... (again, that's my personal belief). 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

The "value proposition" of P3D is; if you don't want to get into XP, and aren't intrerested in Aerofly, then there isn't much of a choice. P3D provides a comfy old slipper for everyone coming from FS. As soon as MSFS releases, simmers are going to do 180 degree turnarounds, and P3D will shrivel to its real value proposition, which will swiftly approximate 0.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Going to DX12 alone is a major step.The ability to offload much more to the GPU is also a big plus. However, if you don't find that important or nothing else in the changelog entices you - stay with 4.5.

Since I'm getting quite good performance now, no, it's really not a big plus for me. And like you said. I respect your opinion but you're way off the mark here.

5 minutes ago, anden145 said:

The term 'value' is a highly subjective thing! Things which makes great value for some, might make zero value for others.

Please, please, don't make assumptions, that your own view of everything, necessary is shared by everyone on the planet. You are of course more than welcome to express your thoughts, but please make it clear, that they indeed are your thoughts and please don't state your opinion as fact. 

It is beyond me, that you can state, that this is merely an update and express what amount of work went into it, without knowing anything about the complexity of the developmental process. Again - you even state this as a fact... I don't know where you come up with this?! 

For instance, personally, I find the new atmospheric additions, cloud system and wave improvements highly valuable to me. It's something I have sought after for a long time. Not even talking about the performance improvements and DX12. I honestly find these new features and improvements larger than the step from Prepar3D 3.X to Prepar3D 4.X. 

Sorry for the rant, people... I look forward in trying it out, in a couple of hours. 

Cheers!

Maybe you misunderstood. I never stated that I believed anything to be a fact. Did I? If I did, I am sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I'm simply expressing my opinion.

4 minutes ago, ttbq1 said:

why do you keep feeding the trolls? 

If you are calling me a troll simply for expressing my opinion, don't even post please... I thought this community was more mature than that...

4 minutes ago, ErichB said:

New atmospheric model, new graphics rendering engine, new water engine, sloped runways.    In the grand scheme of updates, that's huge. 

And I guess you're a student or part of a flight school programme of some kind - otherwise your price is $200.  So,  it's a steal for you.

This is obviously a troll post

Sloped runways are interesting, true. The other stuff is highly questionable about the actual benefit it will bring.

I am an enthusiast who's simming at home with a cheap joystick. It's not $200 for me. And no, it was not meant as a troll post.

1 minute ago, anden145 said:

@Thomasso - what makes you think, that MSFS is 'just around the corner' ?!

My personal belief is, that we'll see MSFS in about 9-12 months from now... (again, that's my personal belief). 

Well, it's called "2020" for starters 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

6 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

The "value proposition" of P3D is; if you don't want to get into XP, and aren't intrerested in Aerofly, then there isn't much of a choice. P3D provides a comfy old slipper for everyone coming from FS. As soon as MSFS releases, simmers are going to do 180 degree turnarounds, and P3D will shrivel to its real value proposition, which will swiftly approximate 0.

I completely agree. The lack of competition is the only thing that allowed P3D to label this price tag on the update.

Tomáš Pokorný

2 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Well, it's called "2020" for starters

Actually, it isn't. It is just "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

• Like 3

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen