Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Does it utilize Nvidia RTX?

I'm thinking of upgrading my GTX 970 gpu for the new sim.  My budget allows for one of these two:  GTX 1080 or RTX 2070.

Thoughts?

Edited by solwell1

MSFS 2020 is DX11? That makes no sense they would be making a nextgen flight sim on DX11 when DX12 has been out. Are you sure about this?

Even P3D v5 is DX12.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

They haven't officially said and with an NDA for testers you probably won't get an honest answer as to DX11 or DX12. I would upgrade with the best you can afford.

It will be DirectX 11 on release, with a planned DirectX 12 and ray-tracing update sometime after the release. By then any DXR implementations should be vendor-agnostic, which means you will not be limited to NVIDIA GPUs. And if you're after good ray-tracing performance, it is highly recommended that you wait for the next generation of GPUs (later this year), as first hardware implementations of new technology are always somewhat shaky.

The GTX 1080 does not feature RT cores by the way, and ray-tracing on shaders presents suboptimal performance. If you want to upgrade now, go for the RTX 2070. I recommend that you wait though, as the simulator is not out yet.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, captain420 said:

MSFS 2020 is DX11? That makes no sense they would be making a nextgen flight sim on DX11 when DX12 has been out. Are you sure about this?

Even P3D v5 is DX12.

That's because it's not the DX version that makes a visually good looking simulator, as MSFS can surely be a testimony of right now. Either way they said in a previous interview that they do plan on getting to DX12 as well in the future.

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thanks, I will hold off as long as I can.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

18 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

They haven't officially said and with an NDA for testers you probably won't get an honest answer as to DX11 or DX12. I would upgrade with the best you can afford.

They did say.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a better answer then!

I would still go with the best you can afford though!

12 hours ago, tpete61 said:

There's a better answer then!

I would still go with the best you can afford though!

That`s been the norm for years in flight sim PC`s buy the most powerful you can afford. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg