Sign in to follow this  
Sabby468

Qualitywings B787 How to do step climbs?

Hi all

I am relatively new to the B787 and still a bit confused with the step climb process. I know in the PMDG planes, it calculates them and climbs them automatically, but what happens or what do I have to do in the 787?

Thanks in advance and stay safe out there

It pretty much works the same.  Just make sure that the option for Auto Step Climbs is selected on the Config page of the FMC.

Alan

yeah that is on for me, but the fmc didn't calculate any step climbs for me. Do I have to put them in myself?

Yes I do not believe it does calculate them for you.  I only ever use step climbs if they are included in my flight plan.  You can input them the same way on the LEGS page as you do with PMDG.

Alan

11 minutes ago, Sabby468 said:

yeah that is on for me, but the fmc didn't calculate any step climbs for me. Do I have to put them in myself?

On the 787, there is 2 things required to have the auto step climb. There is the option in the FMC,and there is a line, that needs to be added to a CFG file, in there somewhere.Think its 787.cfg? Sorry, my computer has been wiped for v5, so I can't give you exact details, But the instructions are in one the QW readmes. Hope that helps.

-Tony@PVD

edit: Also, make sure you set the set climb altitude in the FMC when setting up the flight, it will compute the step climbs via this info.

Edited by breakinghbts

Tony Moore

SetMCPAltOnAutoStepClimb=1 Sets the new step altitude in the MCP window when step climb position is reached in auto step climb mode. (off by default)

I think thats the one you're talking about in the .CFG file.

Also by 'set the climb altitude' do you mean the final altitude of my flight?

Would I set the SetMCPAltOnAutoStepClimb=1

to =0? Or in other words how do I turn it on?

edit: hmmm I dont seem to find that in my .CFG file. I only have these options:

IrsAlignSecs=60
MinAptRwyLen=6300
EfBFPlanOverlay=1
WeightUnit=KGS
ArmPauseAtTod=1
Arm1xAtTod=1
DisplayUnitBrightness=0.5
RemoteCdu=1
autostepclimb=1
LoadFuelonAircraftLoad=1
CduAutoCalcVspeeds=1
CduAutoCalcZfw=1
LoadPanelStateonAcLoad=1
calcpayload=1
ArmPauseAtDistFromDest=1
CabinAirTempUnit=C

They are the exact same as in the info page in the fms

Edited by Sabby468

49 minutes ago, Sabby468 said:

SetMCPAltOnAutoStepClimb=1 Sets the new step altitude in the MCP window when step climb position is reached in auto step climb mode. (off by default)

I think thats the one you're talking about in the .CFG file.

Also by 'set the climb altitude' do you mean the final altitude of my flight?

I don't have it installed currently, but when setting up the FMC during preflight, i believe, but i could be wrong its on the PERF page? But the bottom right option is something like step climb altitude. I use 2000 as I understand thats the US step climb profile. The rest of the world uses 4000? i believe. Once you do all these steps (the 3), Set the MCP for ur initial cruise altitude. The aircraft will do the rest.

The only time there is an issue with this, is if its a VERY long flight, and ur a/c is loaded with fuel. The auto step climb will not climb past the MAX operating alt, listed on the CRZ page of the FMC. So if by the time it gets to say 380, ur max is 390.then later in the flight ur max changes to 41 or 420, the a/c will no longer step climb. (this 'issue' hasnt affected my flights in any significant way)

Hope all this helps you. Im a big QW787 fan, and I hope u enjoy it as much as I do.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

ahh ok this helps alot. Thanks man rlly appreciate it. Im more used to pmdg so this is very different to me

On 4/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, breakinghbts said:

But the bottom right option is something like step climb altitude. I use 2000 as I understand thats the US step climb profile. The rest of the world uses 4000? i believe. 

The only time there is an issue with this, is if its a VERY long flight, and ur a/c is loaded with fuel. The auto step climb will not climb past the MAX operating alt, listed on the CRZ page of the FMC. So if by the time it gets to say 380, ur max is 390.then later in the flight ur max changes to 41 or 420, the a/c will no longer step climb. (this 'issue' hasnt affected my flights in any significant way)

-Tony@PVD

For the Step size, just put ICAO.  The system will calculate the proper step size taking into account max altitude and other things like going from FL390 to FL430 which is a 4000 foot step.

Sorry to reply to a thread this old, but I am unable to put "ICAO" into the step size field.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

1 hour ago, ahuimanu said:

Sorry to reply to a thread this old, but I am unable to put "ICAO" into the step size field.

Try RVSM in the Perf INIT step size.