Sign in to follow this  
james37611

Prepar3D V4 - Should I keep it?

Hello all,

Coming back to Flight Simming hopefully now I have a PC that's a tad upgraded from my old dual core one, that wouldn't handle any payware add-ons, and have been well out the loop with simming. Even got P3D for the last PC, but it wouldn't even load it.

My new PC however takes P3D v4.5 in it's stride, uploaded the ORBX scenery on full max and it's good frames, tried a payware add-on, the temporary free Just Flight Hawk to see how it handles, and it's wonderful. Not got any other detailed add-ons yet, that's when the sliders will need to come down!

Now, I had FSX:SE on Steam before, it's still on Steam so I can download and install if I wanted to, and I have ORBX EU England, ORBX Southampton, Aerosoft A320 Pro, Majestic Dash 8, A few UK2000 airports and Aerosoft EHAM, EGGK, EGLL, EIDW and EDDF airports. Oh and REX, GSX (not the latest one), Real Traffic and VoxATC, though I'd be tempted to go back to WoAI, but that is only an FSX feature.

So I'd have to buy those again for P3D, not a great deal lost in some ways, but with P3D v5 out, I'm wondering is it worth investing in P3D v4.5, buying the above add-ons (bar Orbx) and then finding out anything new is for v5 and above, so would then need to buy v5 and then buy the add-ons yet again...

So only have the default P3D aircraft (and the Hawk until the end of April) so playing with those at the moment until I can decide what to stick with. P3D is running great at the moment, it's a shame that the Hercules is limited that you can't get a RAF one (not that I've found a reskin?) yet can get the full pack for FSX with the RAF Herc.

Just need some opinions, any personal opinions on flying in FSX vs P3D but I don't want any 'Ditch FSX for good, stick with Lockheed' posts without any constructive input! :)

If you were new to P3D like me, would you invest or stick with FSX for the time being until P3D v5 builds up?

Of note previously despite frame issues I never had any OOM with FSX:SE on Steam, but then I didn't do trans-atlantic, just UK to Europe, probably a 4 - 5 hour flight time at most.

Current specs are:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro
Intel i5 9600 6-core 3.7GHz
nVidea GTX 1660 at 6GB
16GB of RAM 

If you're not having OOM errors, I'd stick with FSX Steam. To me, FSX Steam with all addons looks just as good as P3Dv.4.5. I switched because I was getting OOMs. 

Prepar3dv5 will take some time for all the bugs to be ironed out, by that time I'll seriously consider moving to MFS.

As someone who is almost never swayed by "release day hype" I usually take a wait and see approach, let overeager release-day buyers betatest for me, then reevaluate. 

My suggestion: milk FSX Steam for what it's worth, then see where things stand in about 8-12 months.Stay away from the (irrational) hype here.

• Upvote 1

I'd wait a few weeks to let the devs catch up and to see if anything heinous materializes in P3Dv5.  I think any compatibility issues will be sorted out in more like 3-4 weeks, not 8-12 months. 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, james37611 said:

If you were new to P3D like me, would you invest or stick with FSX for the time being until P3D v5 builds up?

I would wait a few months, until devs have migrated their aircraft/scenery/utilities to P3D V5
(and also V5 service pack has been released)

• Like 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Thank you guys!

Only thing is on FSX I struggled with Ultimate Traffic (sorry it was that I had not Real Traffic) as FPS really bought it down, it may have ended up with an OOM I can't remember, I worry if this may happen again, or I suppose otherwise World of AI would be easier...I had about 8GB RAM on the last PC, and a dual core 2.9 AMD, and an ancient GT730 GFX card, so a bit different to what I have now.

Also I know I'll be doing a lot of hops, but I suspect a couple of years down the line I might be tempted with a long haul, which I believe is when OOM's are likely to happen? The again maybe a good 777 or 787 will be available for P3D v5 and scenery, or maybe I could just get that for P3D v4...

Very difficult decision!

I agree is MSFS, I read (on here I think) about someone saying it would be a good 5 years before we have a reasonable collection of add-ons, then there's probably some bugs with it too (only maybe, not saying there will be), I certainly won't be jumping on MSFS on day 1.