Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

This is the explanation from Beau Hollis at LM:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136873&p=212507

1) Windows uses the GPU for the operating system and other applications. Windows 10 provides each application a memory budget. We don't have any direct control over the budget. It may go up or down depending on what else you are doing on your system. It's the app's responsibility to stay under budget.
2) We will continue to work ways to avoid going over budget. For certain UI settings like terrain, and advanced atmospherics, we can predict memory usage well, because we control the number and size of all textures and buffers used by those features. For the general sim, it's hard to do because it is very content dependent. Every model and texture added to the scene takes GPU memory. Compressed 4k textures take up 16MB each which can add up really fast.
3) DirectX11 allows applications to go over budget and the driver then attempts to shuffle resources on and off of the GPU to keep the app running. This tends to cause major performance issues, so it was always best to stay under budget, It just wasn't clear in Dx11 what your budget was or how much was in use. DirectX12 drivers don't allow apps to go over budget, but we do get clear information on memory usage. We've added this data to the InfoGen text to help users tune their settings and content. Our focus for 5.0 was to optimize performance under the assumption that settings and content are tuned to keep the app under budget.
Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
  • Like 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

It is because of how VRAM is managed in DX12.  DX11 managed VRAM allocation, DX12 opens it up and lets the application control it.

My 11GB 1080Ti gets easily maxed out in v4.5 in areas with high resolution and high density scenery (think Orbx Honolulu).  The worst part is that one is not aware of the issue until you suddenly get a slide show.  I now keep HWInfo64 always running just to keep an eye on my VRAM usage, which in v4.5 averages 4 GB just cruising over Canada.  No way am I buying a new video card with less that 11 GB and I'm waiting for something closer to 18-22 GB.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

6 minutes ago, downscc said:

It is because of how VRAM is managed in DX12.  DX11 managed VRAM allocation, DX12 opens it up and lets the application control it.

My 11GB 1080Ti gets easily maxed out in v4.5 in areas with high resolution and high density scenery (think Orbx Honolulu).  The worst part is that one is not aware of the issue until you suddenly get a slide show.  I now keep HWInfo64 always running just to keep an eye on my VRAM usage, which in v4.5 averages 4 GB just cruising over Canada.  No way am I buying a new video card with less that 11 GB and I'm waiting for something closer to 18-22 GB.

That is an insane development in hardware requirements, if you ask me and it is exactly as I assumed.

The sim is badly optimized, always was. Going DX12 now punishes this as you can go "over budget" in no time with the usual add-ons to make it look acceptable.

Well that definately settles it then. As this clearly sounds as if improvements in memory management can't be expected, I will refund and wait for MSF and then upgrade my PC.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 4

Good to know--this is another reason not to spend yet another $199 on this version.   I'll save it for MSFS and a new GPU then.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have a 1060 with 6gb VRAM so I'm wondering what it'll be like for me once I get things installed.  We shall see.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I have a 1080 card so I will hold of purchasing v5, anyone advise on xplane with Vulcan if you have the same vram problems.thanks

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

25 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I have a 1060 with 6gb VRAM so I'm wondering what it'll be like for me once I get things installed.  We shall see.

You will be disappointed, no doubt about it.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

1 hour ago, downscc said:

No way am I buying a new video card with less that 11 GB and I'm waiting for something closer to 18-22 GB.

To be honest, I am not sure that 22 GB will give you much protection or future proofing. I saw on the LM site that they never intended for the new weather to be able to support more than a couple of layers of clouds and even at that 4K is going to eat up a ton of VRAM. This almost seems like a big step backwards to me. I have always been a supporter of Prepar3d but I have to wonder if this is not just a nice way to tell most simmers that it is time to part ways and thank you very much. I wonder if it is just that they need this DX12 stuff for commercial sims where eye candy is not as important. I must say at this point I am very disappointed to say the least.

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

From the first day that a flight sim was developed for the pc, end users have complained about performance. There is no free lunch. As with FSX, more realism translates into more cpu, gpu requirements. It will never change. If you're happy with third party clouds and third party environment on your p3d v 4.5, I see no reason to change, since p3d v5 is not going anywhere but higher in versions as time goes by.

tc

1 hour ago, downscc said:

DX12 opens it up and lets the application control it

The whole discussion makes me wonder how Microsoft will handle that in FS2020, as they might also have to use DX12. They probably have to cope with even more default data. And then on top of that, how much VRAM will be left for Addons, or how many Addons will FS2020 be able to deal with ?

• Like 2

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

3 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

The whole discussion makes me wonder how Microsoft will handle that in FS2020, as they might also have to use DX12. They probably have to cope with even more default data. And then on top of that, how much VRAM will be left for Addons, or how many Addons will FS2020 be able to deal with ?

I had the very same thought. It will be something to watch for sure.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

any issue with vram is purely a p3d issue

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

12 minutes ago, cannow said:

any issue with vram is purely a p3d issue

I would be interested to know your reason for saying that.

• Like 3

Sam

36 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I saw on the LM site that they never intended for the new weather to be able to support more than a couple of layers of clouds and even at that 4K is going to eat up a ton of VRAM. This almost seems like a big step backwards to me. I have always been a supporter of Prepar3d but I have to wonder if this is not just a nice way to tell most simmers that it is time to part ways and thank you very much. I wonder if it is just that they need this DX12 stuff for commercial sims where eye candy is not as important. I must say at this point I am very disappointed to say the least.

This is insane if LM actually intended for people to not use more a couple layers of clouds. This and Beau's statement above is just too much. Here's this brand new sim version and oh by the way you really can't use most of it because your hardware won't support it and you'll get a VRAM OOM. We've gone full circle with OOM. To heck with this word not allowed. I had a back and forth with another formum user a few days ago about version 5 and now I'm eating my words because it turns out I think he was right. I'm staying with v4.5. I can't wait to see people try and use the FSL A32x in this version. I hope MSFS doesn't disappoint like this is.

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

8 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I had a back and forth with another formum user a few days ago about version 5 and now I'm eating my words because it turns out I think he was right.

LOL Yea I feel your pain. I had a few words with them myself but feeling a little sheepish right now.

Sam