Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

This is insane if LM actually intended for people to not use more a couple layers of clouds. This and Beau's statement above is just too much. Here's this brand new sim version and oh by the way you really can't use most of it because your hardware won't support it and you'll get a VRAM OOM. We've gone full circle with OOM. To heck with this word not allowed. I had a back and forth with another formum user a few days ago about version 5 and now I'm eating my words because it turns out I think he was right. I'm staying with v4.5. I can't wait to see people try and use the FSL A32x in this version. I hope MSFS doesn't disappoint like this is.

So...I am currently in the air 37000 ft with heavy clouds, FSL, and all ORBX fired, V4.5...settings to the - at least 3/4 or more to the right...and I am @ 1.9-2.1 GB with my 1070 GTX. SO you are telling me that V5 will use 5-7 GB more? Are you all sure about that? Because what you are saying doesn't make sense to me....Given I have no 4K, just 2 X 32 curved....

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

For 4k, I heard it's not necessary to turn on FXAA, and no need to have high antialiasing. I have mine at 4xMSAA.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

18 minutes ago, B777ER said:

All I have is a 4k 50in tv for a monitor. No way I'm dumbing down my hardware for a P3D upgrade version. Nope. Now I normally run x8 MSAA on my 1080Ti but I see others still having issues. IMO, this v5, in it's current state, is a failure.

Just check you P3D settings to conserve VRAM until LM address the CTD.

Umberto also explained this.. Locking to 30fps instead of 60 will also help.

S.

5 minutes ago, captain420 said:

For 4k, I heard it's not necessary to turn on FXAA, and no need to have high antialiasing. I have mine at 4xMSAA.

Right and if you can get away with 2xSSAA that works well for me.  At least on my system, in 4.5 as well as 5, 2xSSAA is more GPU intensive, but lighter on VRAM (because fewer AA frames are being produced).  In 4.5 I default to 2xSSAA and 'back down' to MSAA for scenery with poorly optimized DL.  Definitely don't need FXAA also.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

9 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Right and if you can get away with 2xSSAA that works well for me.  At least on my system, in 4.5 as well as 5, 2xSSAA is more GPU intensive, but lighter on VRAM (because fewer AA frames are being produced).  In 4.5 I default to 2xSSAA and 'back down' to MSAA for scenery with poorly optimized DL.  Definitely don't need FXAA also.

I use 8msaa and FXAA in ncp 

and I see a little difference and non-performance impact in v4

23 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

So...I am currently in the air 37000 ft with heavy clouds, FSL, and all ORBX fired, V4.5...settings to the - at least 3/4 or more to the right...and I am @ 1.9-2.1 GB with my 1070 GTX. SO you are telling me that V5 will use 5-7 GB more? Are you all sure about that? Because what you are saying doesn't make sense to me....Given I have no 4K, just 2 X 32 curved....

What's it at when you arrive? At 37k I'd guess you would be at ~2.5 without truesky and 4 with truesky. The problem would be at arrival or departure to/from a complex scenery area and weather.  4k is the real VRAM killer here.  I got used to being able to cut it really close with 4.5, running up to 7.9GB overall utilization on a dense scenery arrival on an 8GB card...so even a small increase causes a CTD for me in v5, so I have to dial it back, that's all.

12 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

What's it at when you arrive? At 37k I'd guess you would be at ~2.5 without truesky and 4 with truesky. The problem would be at arrival or departure to/from a complex scenery area and weather.  4k is the real VRAM killer here.  I got used to being able to cut it really close with 4.5, running up to 7.9GB overall utilization on a dense scenery arrival on an 8GB card...so even a small increase causes a CTD for me in v5, so I have to dial it back, that's all.

I am on decent to FT CYUL and 2.GB...Given, I have nowhere issue but FT CYYZ where I get almost "stall" 13-15 fps...but everywhere smooth. Guys, I am not saying that all of you are not correct...I still have to get fresh copy of V5 and see that "smoothness" but it doesn't make sense that LM would launch something to break our HARDWARE so we can't run it....What would be the point of that exercise? We know DX12 use more vRAM but nothing new....

20000ft and 2.3GB heavy clouds and scenery...I'll let you know once I see the city under the clouds....

Heavy rain on 14000 ft 2.4GB

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

1 hour ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I am on decent to FT CYUL and 2.GB...Given, I have nowhere issue but FT CYYZ where I get almost "stall" 13-15 fps...but everywhere smooth. Guys, I am not saying that all of you are not correct...I still have to get fresh copy of V5 and see that "smoothness" but it doesn't make sense that LM would launch something to break our HARDWARE so we can't run it....What would be the point of that exercise? We know DX12 use more vRAM but nothing new....

20000ft and 2.3GB heavy clouds and scenery...I'll let you know once I see the city under the clouds....

Heavy rain on 14000 ft 2.4GB

Yea, that's what I'm saying, if you're not running 4k, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Just check you P3D settings to conserve VRAM until LM address the CTD.

Umberto also explained this.. Locking to 30fps instead of 60 will also help.

S.

Hi Simbol,

Before purchasing I'm waiting to hear more about theVRAM issue. Beau Hollis has posted on the LM forums about the issue and from my understanding of his post, there doesn't sound like there is much that they can do to stop the CTD - Here is the post for those that mightn't have seen it :

3) DirectX11 allows applications to go over budget and the driver then attempts to shuffle resources on and off of the GPU to keep the app running. This tends to cause major performance issues, so it was always best to stay under budget, It just wasn't clear in Dx11 what your budget was or how much was in use. DirectX12 drivers don't allow apps to go over budget, but we do get clear information on memory usage. We've added this data to the InfoGen text to help users tune their settings and content. Our focus for 5.0 was to optimize performance under the assumption that settings and content are tuned to keep the app under budget.

The bolding is mine. The way I read that quote it doesn't sound like DX12 allows anybody to go over their VRAM "budget", just lets the program know how close they are too that budget. It also doesn't appear to allow for sharing into regular RAM (something it sounds like DX11 did). So, given that, are we back in the realms of OOMs albeit with VRAM as opposed to regular RAM? And what would a possible patch actually do given that DX12 simply doesn't allow one to go over the budget? Is there a method of removing items from VRAM once you hit your budget as opposed to the app crashing?

I've got no idea, just trying to get greater clarity on the changes to DX12 from the developer of the software...

Edited by KL Oo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

I wonder if LM implemented DX12's multi adapter mode. Which allows VRAM stacking when using nvidia NVLink similar to SLI. It theoretically will allow 22GB of VRAM when using 2x 2080ti.

It costs too much, but might be the only way we can truly max out P3Dv5 without OOM.

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

1 hour ago, KL Oo said:

there doesn't sound like there is much that they can do to stop the CTD

That's what I took away as well. Basically LM saying, meh, that's DX12, deal with it. 

Eric 

I keep getting these two gems every time I get into the sim:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.21.34709, time stamp: 0x5e95060d
Faulting module name: api.dll, version: 5.0.21.34709, time stamp: 0x5e9506bd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000002e5c
Faulting process id: 0x38e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d613a3335ac5d1
Faulting application path: B:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: B:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\api.dll

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.21.34709, time stamp: 0x5e95060d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.778, time stamp: 0xafa78a6a
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a799
Faulting process id: 0x36a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d613a2c6049b41
Faulting application path: B:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 052e140f-b777-49c0-814d-7e25f6e6aa7e

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.....Guess its back to V4.5 for me

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

On 4/15/2020 at 4:34 AM, mcdonoughdr said:

That's a ridiculous claim, I'm well aware of what my card is cartable of, and running a default jet in default scenery is zero excuse for running of of ram... 

You are right! Absolutely ridiculous! New P3DV5 simply doesn’t work!!!!

They haven’t even worked together with developers so not even one airplane is ready to go with there product. How is that possible???