Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

Also with 11GB are u really fast OOM, just load a A2A C182 and sliders over middle, one addon airport and ciao ...

regards

Michael Franz

48 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

This actually FlyTampa EKCH v2. It has huge custom autogen over urban CPH. 🙂

What is your settings for lights (do you use enhanced ? ) Can you install on the same drive as P3dv5 (v4 version is on another drive (none ssd)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 hours ago, simbol said:

You guys are reading it wrong, he is explaining the behavior of DX12..

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136858

After that post he also said:

Thanks for the clarification. We're sorry to hear the settings change isn't working properly for you. We will try to reproduce the crash on our end and improve the settings change experience so that the app can continue to run.

Beau Hollis

Prepar3D Software Architect

Clearly they are working to make the application change settings on the fly to avoid a crash.

Via private beta forums I got a similar answer from Kevin Cartrette.

I would advise everyone to stop making asumptions and ask directly to LM developers who are clearly responding and dealing with these issues.

Regards,

Simbol 

This is still a no from me. Judging by what they are saying, if they make it so the app can make adjustments on the fly, most of us will be flying the FSL or PMDG aircraft into EGLL with the app moving all sliders dynamically to the left to save VRAM. We will be landing in FS98. No, LM got it all wrong as far as I'm concerned. P3D architecture and DX12 just don't mix well. Massive step backwards. 

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 3

Eric 

1 minute ago, B777ER said:

This is still a no from me. Judging by what they are saying, if they make it so the app can make adjustments on the fly, mist if us will be flying the FSL or PMDG aircraft into EGLL with the app moving all sliders dynamically to the left to save VRAM. We will be landing in FS98. No, LM got it all wrong as far as I'm concerned. P3D architecture and DX12 just don't mix well. Massive step backwards. 

Depends on how much vram a PMDG or FSL uses.  I have eveything fully right ( scenery wise). 4x SAAA and 16x AF and without True Sky i have 1.0 - 1.2 GB left for PMDG, FSL with my current 2080 TI.   And with my Radeon VII i have even more left.  But i can comment on that next week when the new card arrives.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

1 minute ago, 331BK said:

Depends on how much vram a PMDG or FSL uses.  I have eveything fully right ( scenery wise). 4x SAAA and 16x AF and without True Sky i have 1.0 - 1.2 GB left for PMDG, FSL with my current 2080 TI.   And with my Radeon VII i have even more left.  But i can comment on that next week when the new card arrives.

I wouldn't plan on using FSL then with that amount of headroom left. Throw in truSky, bad weather and your OOM.

Eric 

I think you are true, bad weather will then be to much. As i mentioned i can give an update next week when i have the Radeon VII and 16 GB of HBM2 for P3D 🙂

But still is there somewhere a good explanation what this true sky realy does in p3d v5? 

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Just now, B777ER said:

This is still a no from me. Judging by what they are saying, if they make it so the app can make adjustments on the fly, mist if us will be flying the FSL or PMDG aircraft into EGLL with the app moving all sliders dynamically to the left to save VRAM. We will be landing in FS98. No, LM got it all wrong as far as I'm concerned. P3D architecture and DX12 just don't mix well. Massive step backwards. 

Why you don't wait and see instead of judging? are you aware that all DX12 games do this? ALL OF THEM..

It is a dynamic change to avoid the CTD.. it doesn't mean you will loose all the settings and land on FS9.. it means terrain, clouds, etc. set to draw over very long distances can be discarded to regain the memory.

This is my 980 Ti using only 2.9 GB / 6

QqSOrDb.jpg

This is with:

ORBX Global Base
ORBX HD Trees
ORBX Libraries
ORBX ObjectFlow
Ultimate Traffic Live Running.

FPS locked at 30 FPS.

It is a balancing game.. they need to address the CTD when users over do their settings and the memory goes beyond there is not dispute on that, and they already confirmed they are working on it.

S.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, B777ER said:

This is still a no from me. Judging by what they are saying, if they make it so the app can make adjustments on the fly, most of us will be flying the FSL or PMDG aircraft into EGLL with the app moving all sliders dynamically to the left to save VRAM. We will be landing in FS98. No, LM got it all wrong as far as I'm concerned. P3D architecture and DX12 just don't mix well. Massive step backwards. 

I'm confident MSFS is making the same when they switch to DX12 later. I'm sure they even do that already to have it "stutter-free" because there is not other way. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

32 minutes ago, Motormike said:

Also with 11GB are u really fast OOM, just load a A2A C182 and sliders over middle, one addon airport and ciao ...

I cannot confirm this with an a2a C172 over London with ORBX TE GB South. Moderate-high terrain settings, TrueSky active, 6.8-7.4 / 9.2 GB   GPU RAM, but no CTD so far.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Same area (EHAM) with lots of clouds: 3.1 GB / 6GB

FAcuHWx.jpg

You guys just need to understand, you can't run everything maxed to the right.. at least until LM tweaks things a bit to avoid the VRAM being starved and a CTD.

S.

1 minute ago, simbol said:

FAcuHWx.jpg

You guys just need to understand, you can't run everything maxed to the right.. at least until LM tweaks things a bit to avoid the VRAM being starved and a CTD.

S.

Simbol,

Could you show your settings?

That might help me know where to start as I have an 8gb GPU.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

10 minutes ago, simbol said:

FAcuHWx.jpg

S.

For sure 🙂 Rob can do this because he has a Titan RTX 😉

sfo_a320.png

11 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Simbol,

Could you show your settings?

That might help me know where to start as I have an 8gb GPU.

The best really is to do this:

A) delete the prepard3.cfg,

B) re-launch the sim

C) Enable TrueSky and see your initial memory consumption. via Shift-Z.

D) Go to an area where you always had a CTD.. and see the memory consumption.

E) Set your anti-aliasing.. monitor your memory consumption.. if you are under 4K, don't run at 8xSSAA it will kill memory under DX12 like never before. Try to compromise to 2XSSAA.

F) Move your settings sliders a bit to the right, monitor your memory consumption.

G) Repeat until you are 1Gb to 2Gb below your card limit.

Showing my settings is not helpful because my system (hardware and software) will be different from anybody else and therefore my CARD might handle memory better than another card, or the drivers I might be using will also handle things differently.

The steps above will provide each individual with a reasonable set of settings in accordance with their specific systems and installed add-on's Until LM can address the memory starvation and implement techniques to avoid the CTD.

S.

Edited by simbol

15 hours ago, diajohn said:

I just noted when I turned my setting from unlimited to 30FPS, my video card relaxed and all was good.

This makes sense. On 4.5 many folks ran unlimited frames and since the CPU was footing a lot of that bill, it helped out. Now, with the workload shifted to the GPU, it would make sense that you would need to put a limit on how many frames it is trying to render. I would be willing to bet, I don't have V5 yet so can't test, that framerate limiting is key along with MSAA instead of SSAA to avoiding OO VRAM. The rendering mechanisms are different now so the settings will be as well.

When I built my new box and went from FS9 to P3D V4, I pilled my hair out for months struggling to get the performance I felt I should be getting, Tweak this, change that, blah, blah, blah. Turned out, reasonable and appropriate settings combined with FFTF Dynamic got me to a happy place. The solutions are usually less complicated than we make them.

Honestly, how many of you VRAM guys are trying to run 4k and unlimited frames? If 24fps and smooth worked for you in V4 then why not be satisfied with that, or even 30, in V5 and give your poor GPU a break. I know I will be ecstatic if I can run my Orbx stuff and NGXu at FSDT KORD without dipping below 24fps and smooth. I currently sit around 20fps in that scenario.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 331BK said:

For sure 🙂 Rob can do this because he has a Titan RTX 😉

Exactly..

See my previous post.. if you have a Titan RTX and you follow those steps you will find you can put everything to the right and your card will be still laughing. However if you have 8GB or 6GB like me.. you can still find which settings work better for you.

S.