Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

🙂 I hope i also can do next week when my Radeon VII arrives. Till then i also will test with your suggestions in the evening. 

Would be great if PMDG would release there installers today or tomorrow so we can test with a real heavy addon.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

26 minutes ago, simbol said:

Why you don't wait and see instead of judging? are you aware that all DX12 games do this? ALL OF THEM..

It is a dynamic change to avoid the CTD.. it doesn't mean you will loose all the settings and land on FS9.. it means terrain, clouds, etc. set to draw over very long distances can be discarded to regain the memory.

FPS locked at 30 FPS.

It is a balancing game.. they need to address the CTD when users over do their settings and the memory goes beyond there is not dispute on that, and they already confirmed they are working on it.

S.

Simbol,

Whilst you might be right, I think there is a view that perhaps LM should have sorted out the issue (which clearly is an issue effecting more than a small number of people) before releasing the product and thus negating the need to "work on it" after release.

• Like 3

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Wow, sounds like a great upgrade and for only $199 for the 4th time.  And tack on another grand for enough VRAM so you can actually run it.  Can't wait!  Not!

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, simbol said:

Exactly..

See my previous post.. if you have a Titan RTX and you follow those steps you will find you can put everything to the right and your card will be still laughing. However if you have 8GB or 6GB like me.. you can still find which settings work better for you.

S.

Simbol,

Do think it is reasonable to assume that a lot of these VRAM issues are simply a matter of folks running with framerate unlimited? After reading many threads about V5, I get the sense that many V5 adopters are very interested to see what kind of fps increase they will get by not limiting framerates and in the process loading up VRAM and crashing the sim. 

An additional thought for those that think MSFS2020 will be the holy grail; all that amazingness will come at a price as well and any headroom created by new rendering techniques will be gobbled up by new bells and whistles created by 3rd party devs. So.....kinda end up in the same place we are here.

Edited by sivart2000
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow, sounds like a great upgrade and for only $199 for the 4th time.  And tack on another grand for enough VRAM so you can actually run it.  Can't wait!  Not!

Whats that 199 bucks thing? So annoyed by that little watermark in the upper right corner?

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

My feeling is that P3Dv4 has spoiled us by removing the 'original' OOM error, based on system RAM. This was no longer an issue, so we were free to chase maximum FPS by any means necessary, only being held back by our CPU. Now, LM finally did what we all wanted: brought some of the work to the GPU and adopted DX12, but this had the consequence that now VRAM is becoming the limiting factor. It seems people are still trying to chase maximum FPS by methods that applied to v4, but are no longer relevant. Hell, FPS doesn't seem to be the important factor anymore at all - it's VRAM usage.

Remember what we did before, eh? We set our sliders to something our computer could handle. Never all the way to the right. So... how about we do the same thing now? It mess the me problem number 1 is people's expectations. Trying to adhere to methods that, perhaps overnight, became somewhat outdated?

I don't think I'm overstepping when I say that most of us did not see that coming. I certainly did not think of VRAM as ever really being a problem for anything, and judging by some of the reactions, neither did other people.

But, to be fair, this is exactly why I tend to not buy day 1 versions of software.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Well testing and with a 2080 8gb I have 6.6 gb in the sim at this point with my settings and with all the 3 party stuff, room to have an add-on aircraft and Activesky...

Curious if it's enough, I'm with ATMO enabled at 4.gb with Flightbeam and OPLC ORBX etc or with TENL also at 3.8gb...

Edited by awf
  • Upvote 1

André

14 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Simbol,

Whilst you might be right, I think there is a view that perhaps LM should have sorted out the issue (which clearly is an issue effecting more than a small number of people) before releasing the product and thus negating the need to "work on it" after release.

Well we are were we are..

I am trying to help people out.. nobody had these issues during the BETA and LM has acknowledged already the issue and are working the problem (I posted the links and their comments)..

I showed via pictures how I am able to conserve VRAM and have very good looks (way better than V4) So what is the point in going in circles? let's move on.. report the bugs to LM and try to set your system under lower settings until the situation is sorted.

S.

14 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Simbol,

Do think it is reasonable to assume that a lot of these VRAM issues are simply a matter of folks running with framerate unlimited? After reading many threads about V5, I get the sense that many V5 adopters are very interested to see what kind of fps increase they will get by not limiting framerates and in the process loading up VRAM and crashing the sim. 

An additional thought for those that think MSFS2020 will be the holy grail; all that amazingness will come at a price as well and any headroom created by new rendering techniques will be gobbled up by new bells and whistles created by 3rd party devs. So.....kinda end up in the same place we are here.

Very posible.. I posted steps to tweak each computer to the maximum it can handle... which is what everyone should do until the CTD are addressed.

S.

3 minutes ago, awf said:

Well testing and with a 2080 8gb I have 6.6 gb in the sim at this point with my settings and with all the 3 party stuff, room to have a  add-on aircraft and activesky...

Curious if it's enough now I.m with atmo enabeld at 4.gb with flightbeam oplc orbx etc or with TENL also at 3.8gb...

Dude, Do me a favor and test the VRAM usage with frames unlimited, 30fps where I'd like to end up, and 24fps which is still reasonable if smooth.

3 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Dude, Do me a favor and test the VRAM usage with frames unlimited, 30fps where I'd like to end up, and 24fps which is still reasonable if smooth.

Tested with unlimited and have FPS above 100 at TENL at EHAM with AI and ATMO and overcast 😉

Better visuals as compared to V4.5 😉

Edited by awf

André

6 minutes ago, awf said:

Tested with unlimited and have FPS above 100 at TENL at EHAM with AI and ATMO and overcast 😉

Better visuals as compared to V4.5 😉

Cool. Can you set your framerate limiter to 24 and 30fps and report on smoothness and VRAM. I suspect this may need to be done to allow the GPU more VRAM to handle complx wx, airports, aircraft etc.

31 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Cool. Can you set your framerate limiter to 24 and 30fps and report on smoothness and VRAM. I suspect this may need to be done to allow the GPU more VRAM to handle complx wx, airports, aircraft etc.

Well locked in the sim at 24 fps it's not smooth at 30fps with VSYNC ok, but with unlimited it's real smooth not a single stutter... Even with AI not optimized for v5 at this point (AIG)

Hence VRAM is releasing in the air above TENL with 200 mb less...

Locked FPS in the sim no difference in VRAM at this point here local, but remember this is a quick and dirty test...

At this point satisfied with P3Dv5 and great performance compared to V4.5.

Have to test more when all the add-ons are in place for a final verdict here local.

I don't have a clue how this holds up for you and your local hardware. I can of course share my own local experience...

Edited by awf

André