Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

i don't understand that some have these issues, and some don't, amazing!!!! Is it about all the settings to the right!

From fsdreamteam: Be CAREFUL with your settings, because P3D V5 consumes a lot of VRAM. A video card with 8GB is strongly suggested. Better if you have more...the sim now has an indication of your spare VRAM memory, so you'll know when you are going too high

Antialiasing settings and FPS lock settings will also have a big impact.

Some users are mistaking VRAM CTD with a different bug, be sure to run P3D in full screen mode.

LM already stated is working on these issues.

Regards,

Simbol 

Edited by simbol

Already have the latest drivers. 30hz or 60hz? Do you mean frame limiting. Tried that and made no difference with Vram CTD. Also, locked at 30fps is intolerable and has always been for TrackIR users. This sim has no issue running higher frames smoothly. I'm not joking when I say this, but v5 performs better with atmospheric on for me. Sitting at FlyTampa KLAS and Orbx with around 30fps with atmospheric on is the best I've ever seen on my rig with this addon, and 18fps with it off, which is similar to the performance I was getting in v4.5. How do you explain that? Also I had Vram CTD with atmospheric off, so it doesn't even matter. 

It's really sad that we finally have a great performing sim, even on my old system, but we're back to OOM errors. In fact it's far worse than the OOM's of the past. Can't even get 2 minute flight with my regular add-ons with RTX2080 that I bought less than a year ago. And that was not cheap for me.  

Also it's obvious that even with Ti cards and 11GB Vram is not going to be enough once we have multiple add-ons, AI, Orbx True Earth, FSlabs. I mean forget it. What are we  supposed to all go out and drop $2500 on a Titan card because these joker's at LM can't code properly? Whatever. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

41 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Already have the latest drivers. 30hz or 60hz? Do you mean frame limiting. Tried that and made no difference with Vram CTD. Also, locked at 30fps is intolerable and has always been for TrackIR users. This sim has no issue running higher frames smoothly. I'm not joking when I say this, but v5 performs better with atmospheric on for me. Sitting at FlyTampa KLAS and Orbx with around 30fps with atmospheric on is the best I've ever seen on my rig with this addon, and 18fps with it off, which is similar to the performance I was getting in v4.5. How do you explain that? Also I had Vram CTD with atmospheric off, so it doesn't even matter. 

It's really sad that we finally have a great performing sim, even on my old system, but we're back to OOM errors. In fact it's far worse than the OOM's of the past. Can't even get 2 minute flight with my regular add-ons with RTX2080 that I bought less than a year ago. And that was not cheap for me.  

Also it's obvious that even with Ti cards and 11GB Vram is not going to be enough once we have multiple add-ons, AI, Orbx True Earth, FSlabs. I mean forget it. What are we  supposed to all go out and drop $2500 on a Titan card because these joker's at LM can't code properly? Whatever. 

Out of interest, when you press shft + Z twice, what is the number  after the slash for GPU Memory? e.g I have XX/6.7GB atm.

Looking at your signature, you have three monitors, windows allocates what it can to P3D (not LM's fault) if you're running three monitors, I suspect windows is requiring higher vram for other processes instead of giving it to P3D.

I've just departed Copenhagen, flying to LAX, on vatsim using FLAi traffic, in the PMDG 747 that I moved over myself, Fly Tampa Copenhagen, sliders quite high, atmospheric effects on, REX injecting weather (it works), ORBX EU and Global, I didn't exceed 5.8GB of VRAM, I run in 4k.

Edited by liamgiles

Mine says xxx/6.6. The two smaller monitors are not used for P3D at all, just the single larger 4K monitor. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

What aircraft are you flying in P3D 4.5? What scenery addons, and what weather engine if I may ask?  Would like a better understand to use as a base.  I have a GTX970 and 4GB Vram.  Held off upgrading my vidcard originally due to prices >$1,000, then later as I draw nearer and nearer to a new build.

Well, I am really a VFR guy, so have a ton of Carenado, I have a couple of study 737's..I run FSPassengers, ASN, Accu-Feel, Orbx Base, and all the other Regions...I run v4.5 agressive, Water at Ultra, all sub-boxes tagged.  All Scenery bent to the right.  HDR for color, etc...so it's truly loaded up...With all that...I pretty much stay around 24-32 FPS, depending on what I am panning around, I mostly hang in the Orbx PNW, and oh...have ALL the airports as well installed. So, considering what I am reading here...I think I'm doing great...

XP11.50b4 doesn't challenge my system at all.  I'd LOVE 32 or 64 GB's of System RAM...but that would trigger a total M.B. swap out, which I want to hold off on, as new CPU's and other tech are new on the horizon. So..I don't fly default, but, I truly only fly tubes in what I think STILL is the best ever Tube Sim...FS9.  With  v4.5 and XP...I stick mostly to Civil Aviation and Business Jets, or Light Jets (single pilot rated).

6 minutes ago, liamgiles said:

Out of interest, when you press shft + Z twice, what is the number  after the slash for GPU Memory? e.g I have XX/6.7GB atm.

Looking at your signature, you have three monitors, windows allocates what it can to P3D (not LM's fault) if you're running three monitors, I suspect windows is requiring higher vram for other processes instead of giving it to P3D.

I've just departed Copenhagen, flying to LAX, on vatsim using FLAi traffic, in the PMDG 747 that I moved over myself, Fly Tampa Copenhagen, sliders quite high, atmospheric effects on, REX injecting weather (it works), ORBX EU and Global, I didn't exceed 5.8GB of VRAM, I run in 4k.

I will need to try some other areas. I have to admit I was mostly consumed with the Vegas area. Maybe it is something with FlyTampa. I don't know. But the region is a no fly zone at the moment.  

13 hours ago, Bnash00 said:

I have a Titan X (Maxwell) with 12GB of VRAM. Actually I have two of them but SLI is not supported in v5 yet. I have not had one VRAM OOM issue. You can pickup a used one on Ebay for $235.

I think you just doubled the price of those cards. 😃

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I will need to try some other areas. I have to admit I was mostly consumed with the Vegas area. Maybe it is something with FlyTampa. I don't know. But the region is a no fly zone at the moment.  

Try the following if you havent:

Scenery Complexity: Normal

Draw Distance: Very High

Vegetation density: Dense 

Building density: dense

Scenery complexity and cities seem to be a crux at the moment now, I think its just highlighting how poorly optimised some scenaries/city scapes are, London was quite brutal at higher than normal slider for complexity.

It's also worth noting with people with SLI set ups, even if v5 supports it, 2x 4GB cards doesn't = 8GB VRAM with DX12.

Edited by liamgiles

I will say I did do a quick flight with the default F-22 from LatinVFR TJSJ to FlyTampa TNCM and back with very high and ultra settings, atmospheric on clouds set to low. Vram never exceed 5800. Then again I was flying over open water. 

On 4/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, troyboy66 said:

Same here. My wife just gave me the OK for purchase but I think I will wait until a much later date. Especially since my mediocre GTX 1070 8GB card will not do the trick...

Take a look here, I'm using a 1060 6gig:-

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

3 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I will say I did do a quick flight with the default F-22 from LatinVFR TJSJ to FlyTampa TNCM and back with very high and ultra settings, atmospheric on clouds set to low. Vram never exceed 5800. Then again I was flying over open water. 

There you go just fly in circles well in seaplanes out in the middle of any ocean and you'll be good to go and bonus there is more water out there than land so you'll never run out of new areas to explore! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I took the plunge and purchased V5 too. Because I have 2x 4K displays I was very sceptical about the VRAM. But I was positively surprised to see that my 2080 TI shows :  4.1 /9.2.  That is with AG ( High range ) + SC at Very Dense and LOD at High, Shadows on etc. However I have started with my displays at 25 hertz / Vsync On / Unlimited

Then I turned on the Atmospheric feature that costed no extra FPS. Probably because there are no Shadows at this moment.

I have to try with Addons like true Earth NL / GB and detailed airprorts but this looks great and also has a great performance !  I might even set the system to 30 hertz. ( home cockpit with 2 view pc's )

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0