Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

4 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

I don't have the VRAM OOM issue as prominently as other people do (...)

But you have 11GB (9.something available?). Everyone i know with 11GB+ doesn't have OOM issues.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

10 minutes ago, NoobX said:

Here, GTX1080, direct CTD, no warning message, and VRAM at CTD usually 3.x / 6.7Gb...

Same card here, same VRAM usage that I'm seeing (almost all sliders to the right), similar result. Mine just froze. But I haven't had the time to fly it much. 

8 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

1440p, 32 inch. I have a non-VRAM issue, but when it's running, it's super smooth and 50% better framerates than v4.5. 

Most people having VRAM problems are running at 4K with their settings which I asked them to tweak down.

S.

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

Most people having VRAM problems are running at 4K with their settings which I asked them to tweak down.

S.

A'ight. I posted in the P3D forums about my freezing issue with the event log info and my dxdiag. No reply yet but I'm sure they're busy. I'm going to go back to my v4.5 settings and see what happens. Updated my card driver yesterday, just haven't had the chance to fire it up yet. 

Radeon VII arived already today.  

Everything max @4K i have a VRAM Usage of max 12.5 GB out of 13.5 GB Free 

ILsg8I2.jpg

Downside bye bye 20 - 30 FPS hello 11 to 15 FPS 😞 Watercooler Arrives next week maybe i can squeze out a little bit more. 

But as i mentioned this are totaly insane settings everything fully right with 8xMSAA and 16x AF

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

1 hour ago, NoobX said:

Here, GTX1080, direct CTD, no warning message, and VRAM at CTD usually 3.x / 6.7Gb...

Same here. There appear to be a clutch of us having non-OOM (vRAM) CTD. This is a separate issue to this thread, but worth letting LM know.

So far, with a 30 FPS limit I haven't had another CTD. Are you limiting frames?

i7-8086k OC @ 5GHz, 64Gb RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

7 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Radeon VII arived already today.  

Everything max @4K i have a VRAM Usage of max 12.5 GB out of 13.5 GB Free 

Downside bye bye 20 - 30 FPS hello 11 to 15 FPS 😞 Watercooler Arrives next week maybe i can squeze out a little bit more. 

But as i mentioned this are totaly insane settings everything fully right with 8xMSAA and 16x AF

I am very interested in this. Been considering pulling that trigger now that it is so inexpensive.

A couple questions if you don't mind...

1) Are you CPU or GPU limited at that framerate? In other words, are you maxing out your GPU with those settings? (I'm sure you know, but if you don't...you can see GPU utilization in the task manager under the performance tab.

2) What happens if you go to 2xSSAA instead of 8xMSAA?

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

11 minutes ago, Airtrooper said:

Same here. There appear to be a clutch of us having non-OOM (vRAM) CTD. This is a separate issue to this thread, but worth letting LM know.

So far, with a 30 FPS limit I haven't had another CTD. Are you limiting frames?

I posted my issue to them on their site:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=136968

When this happened I was unlimited, just seeing what the sim could do. In v4.5 I always used unlimited. I'll try limiting and see. 

Edited by mtr75

16 hours ago, liamgiles said:

If you are running an nvidia card, new drivers dropped today (445.87) and VRAM usage has dropped about 1GB. 

Worth checking out!

That's interesting but I checked everywhere and no one is reporting VRAM usage improvements with 445.87 except here. I even asked on Guru3D. There's also nothing about this in the driver change log.

25 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I am very interested in this. Been considering pulling that trigger now that it is so inexpensive.

A couple questions if you don't mind...

1) Are you CPU or GPU limited at that framerate? In other words, are you maxing out your GPU with those settings? (I'm sure you know, but if you don't...you can see GPU utilization in the task manager under the performance tab.

2) What happens if you go to 2xSSAA instead of 8xMSAA?

Hey,

I think I`m gpu limited as far as I can see the CPU has work but not to badly ( 24 Threads at about 4,7 Ghz should be enough headroom), what i see is that as others have reported Core 0 is always hammered at 100% i think that´s maybee an issiue too.

But i see clearly that the GPU Clock is jumping up and down  because the card is getting too hot.  As i mentioned i recieve my EK Waterblock for the Card next week. Afterwards i hope it will get much better and i can squeze out 1950 MHZ instead the 1800 - 1500 I´,m getting now.  Seen reviews with the card under water nearly reaching the performance of a 2080 TI.  

Update:

I also see that the Radeon is currently only running PCIE 3.0 x8 because my 2080TI is still sitting in slot one. Will remove the 2080TI tommorow. And put the Radeon in the First Slot prety sure that also helps with some FPS 🙂

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

LIMIT FPS! Unlimited is going to dump all that extra work on the GPU instead of the CPU now. Why not limit FPS so that once the GPU has rendered its 30 frames, instead of trying to render "infinity" frames, the headroom can be used for increases in other settings? I currently run at 24fps and can get as low as 20 and still have a smooth experience in V4.5 and intend to do the same in V5. I don't want my GPU trying to render extra frames I don't need at the expense of AI traffic, scenery and ambiance(shadows, reflections etc). I suspect many of those with graphics cards of 8GB or more running into VRAM issues are more concerned with running high fps and thus running fps unlimited rather than balancing out workload to make an immersive experience. I went through the same thing when I first got V4. It was a tough pill to swallow that I'd never run 60fps at KTPA in the NGXu with nice shadows, reflections, clouds, AI etc. I have it nailed now, 24-30 and smooth with the exception of places like FlyTampa EHAM with Netherlands HD and the NGXu (18-22fps).

So by running with framerates unlimited, you are just making your GPU render a lot of unnecessary frames at the expense of valuable VRAM. This isn't first person shooter, no need for 120fps. I think my V4.5 looks great right now and when I do switch to V5, I intend on running the exact same settings with the expectation of not 60fps but a steady smooth 30 even at EHAM. How many folks have tried running apples to apples comparison of 4 and 5?

Edited by sivart2000
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Already have the latest drivers. 30hz or 60hz? Do you mean frame limiting. Tried that and made no difference with Vram CTD. Also, locked at 30fps is intolerable and has always been for TrackIR users. This sim has no issue running higher frames smoothly. I'm not joking when I say this, but v5 performs better with atmospheric on for me. Sitting at FlyTampa KLAS and Orbx with around 30fps with atmospheric on is the best I've ever seen on my rig with this addon, and 18fps with it off, which is similar to the performance I was getting in v4.5. How do you explain that? Also I had Vram CTD with atmospheric off, so it doesn't even matter. 

It's really sad that we finally have a great performing sim, even on my old system, but we're back to OOM errors. In fact it's far worse than the OOM's of the past. Can't even get 2 minute flight with my regular add-ons with RTX2080 that I bought less than a year ago. And that was not cheap for me.  

Also it's obvious that even with Ti cards and 11GB Vram is not going to be enough once we have multiple add-ons, AI, Orbx True Earth, FSlabs. I mean forget it. What are we  supposed to all go out and drop $2500 on a Titan card because these joker's at LM can't code properly? Whatever. 

I use TrackIR with frames locked at 30. I usually get 24-30 fps and my TrackIR is very usable. The exception is in the NGXu, once I go below 30, it gets jittery or rapid micro stutters when panning. I see you are using a 43" TV? Is that your P3D monitor? I was using a 55" Samsung curved TV and I did have TrackIR issues with that. The problem with TVs is that the pixel response time is slower than a monitor so you get delays when panning quickly. I switched to a 35" AGON curved screen monitor and haven't looked back. Between the much faster pixel response time and 120hz refresh, it has made TrackIR practical again. Also at 120hz I try to shoot for a fps that 120 is divisible by so that I render as few partial frames as possible. So, at 30 fps, my monitor refreshes 4 times for each frame rendered. I feel this keeps everything smooth as well for the Track IR. This would hold true for a slower refresh rate like 60 as well. Until P3D can run at 60fps or above, TrackIR will not be super smooth because the panning rate is so fast. This would hold true for a slower refresh rate like 60 as well. 

Edited by sivart2000

1 hour ago, sivart2000 said:

So by running with framerates unlimited, you are just making your GPU render a lot of unnecessary frames at the expense of valuable VRAM. This isn't first person shooter, no need for 120fps. I think my V4.5 looks great right now and when I do switch to V5, I intend on running the exact same settings with the expectation of not 60fps but a steady smooth 30 even at EHAM. How many folks have tried running apples to apples comparison of 4 and 5?

I'm running 4.5 unlimited but vsync'd to 30Hz and have liquid smooth video and had the same w/ my former 6.5y/o build.  Seems like I have the specs to run v5 but I'm not quite sure what is actually better in v5 over v4.5.  I don't see how you can get any different visuals off the same texture. How would it be that the identical settings in v4.5 and v5.0 will look any different when the source texture is for example ORBX NCA/SCA/and HD airport?  Seems if there are new textures made to exploit API's in DX-12 then sure, but that's not what I'm reading here.  If, like some are saying here, v5 gets you another 35% improved performance, as I'm already close to full settings in 4.5, why bother?  If it is impossible to ever bog down v5 on a high end system, that is saying something.  Thusfar, not hints that this will be the case yet.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, 331BK said:

Hey,

I think I`m gpu limited as far as I can see the CPU has work but not to badly ( 24 Threads at about 4,7 Ghz should be enough headroom), what i see is that as others have reported Core 0 is always hammered at 100% i think that´s maybee an issiue too.

But i see clearly that the GPU Clock is jumping up and down  because the card is getting too hot.  As i mentioned i recieve my EK Waterblock for the Card next week. Afterwards i hope it will get much better and i can squeze out 1950 MHZ instead the 1800 - 1500 I´,m getting now.  Seen reviews with the card under water nearly reaching the performance of a 2080 TI.  

Update:

I also see that the Radeon is currently only running PCIE 3.0 x8 because my 2080TI is still sitting in slot one. Will remove the 2080TI tommorow. And put the Radeon in the First Slot prety sure that also helps with some FPS 🙂

I know we're swinging a bit off topic and happy to take this to PM or elsewhere, but I'm really interested in whether we can get your performance up to 30fps - seems like it should be doable with the VII + a 9990XE

If your core 0 is slammed and you're in the teens on FPS then that's probably your limiting factor.

If you'd be willing, after you get the Radeon in your slot one, I'd love to have you try a couple affinities.

If your hyperthreading is on (which it sounds like it is - you should have 14 cores/28 threads if it is on), would you try an affinity mask of 349525? 

That corresponds to 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 (10 threads for P3D and only one thread per physical core.

With HT off, I'd try affinity mask of 1023 (0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1)

I'd be very interested in your results with these settings. For these tests I'd leave process lasso totally off - make sure the engine isn't running in the task tray also.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm running 4.5 unlimited but vsync'd to 30Hz and have liquid smooth video and had the same w/ my former 6.5y/o build.  Seems like I have the specs to run v5 but I'm not quite sure what is actually better in v5 over v4.5.  I don't see how you can get any different visuals off the same texture. How would it be that the identical settings in v4.5 and v5.0 will look any different when the source texture is for example ORBX NCA/SCA/and HD airport?  Seems if there are new textures made to exploit API's in DX-12 then sure, but that's not what I'm reading here.  If, like some are saying here, v5 gets you another 35% improved performance, as I'm already close to full settings in 4.5, why bother?  If it is impossible to ever bog down v5 on a high end system, that is saying something.  Thusfar, not hints that this will be the case yet.

Well, I think there may be a difference, even if the textures are the same, in how the GPU renders since this is what is was designed to do, as opposed to the CPU which was kind of being forced to render by the old FSX engine. So that may bring about a difference in appearance but that is just a guess. I don't think, aside from the new sky and water, V5 is supposed to look any different. The big change is the off loading of the rendering from CPU to GPU which theoretically will should leave your CPU with a bit more headroom and allow higher performance. As far as frames unlimited with vsync on, this will do almost the same thing as using frame limitation in that your GPU is only going to try to crank out the number of frames equal to your refresh rate. The difference being that the fps will bounce around a bit more because of latency. Unlimited with no vsync just dumps work into the GPU without restraint and in a lot of cases is overwhelming the VRAM. 

As far as the 35% improvement in performance, that is monumental in some cases. In cases where I already run smooth at 30fps, it is inconsequential. But, at FSDT KORD or FT EHAM and Netherlands HD, those extra 4 fps are the difference between a slide show and an enjoyable experience. It is worth the $$ for me if that turns out to be the case. Occasionally I have to kill the AI at a dense scenery to get a few extra fps and a smooth landing. If V5 gets me that few fps without killing AI, or lowering shadows etc. it would be worth it to me. If it turns out people are getting equal fps to V4.5 with some new atmospherics and water, I'll skip it. I think what is happening with a lot of folks is they think that some miracle has been worked so they install V5 and all their stuff, don't make any changes based on the new way the rendering is distributed, "turn it up to 11" and expect 120fps.

I will make the V5 leap when I'm convinced that it will buy me those extra few frames to keep me at 30fps in demanding scenarios, reduce texture popping in areas like NYC and some of the night lighting shimmering. Another way of putting it is, I'm an word not allowed and will pay $200 for 4 or 5 more fps.....

Cheers

• Like 1