Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

1 hour ago, cwburnett said:

I know we're swinging a bit off topic and happy to take this to PM or elsewhere, but I'm really interested in whether we can get your performance up to 30fps - seems like it should be doable with the VII + a 9990XE

If your core 0 is slammed and you're in the teens on FPS then that's probably your limiting factor.

If you'd be willing, after you get the Radeon in your slot one, I'd love to have you try a couple affinities.

If your hyperthreading is on (which it sounds like it is - you should have 14 cores/28 threads if it is on), would you try an affinity mask of 349525? 

That corresponds to 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 (10 threads for P3D and only one thread per physical core.

With HT off, I'd try affinity mask of 1023 (0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1)

I'd be very interested in your results with these settings. For these tests I'd leave process lasso totally off - make sure the engine isn't running in the task tray also.

With pleasure, try tommorow or latest on sunday and Report back to you.

i tried HT off and then core 0 gets not hammered down. Anyhow will try also with your AM Settings also

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I spent quite a bit of time last night testing various settings in order to mitigate my Vram CTD while using my test area FlyTampa KLAS withOrbx SOCal at 2160P with my RTX2080 w/ 8Gb of Vram.  The only settings that had any measurable and significant change in Vram are as follows:

AA settings  ---------------------- (2xSSAA)

Texture Resolution ---------------------- (1024x1024)

Level of Detail Radius ---------------------- (High)

Autogen and Scenery Draw Distance ---------------------- (Medium)

Autogen Building Density ---------------------- (Normal)

Cloud Resolution (w/Enhanced Atmospherics enabled) ---------------------- (Low)         

Everything else, including Display Resolution, Target Framerate,  Atmospherics off, etc etc. has negligible impact. ALL other sliders are set to far right, highest or Ultra settings have no or negligible impact. 

Also one discovery that boggles the mind, is that I saved ~400MB using 2xSSAA over 4xMSAA. Makes no sense but it is true. Luckily 2xSSAA is visually better.  

But the sad reality is that going forward I will have to limit Texture resolution to FSX levels. I am now able to cruise around Vegas with no CTD and spiking close 6800MB Vram. Adjusting any of the settings mentioned would send me well above 7000MB resulting in a crash. So far this is the hardest hitting area for me at the moment. 

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

8 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Also one discovery that boggles the mind, is that I saved ~400MB using 2xSSAA over 4xMSAA. Makes no sense but it is true. Luckily 2xSSAA is visually better.                                                                                                                                                                                           

I think this does make sense. 2x SSAA is harder on the GPU from a processing standpoint, but only renders 2 frames per sim frame, versus 4x which renders 4x frames per sim frame which saves VRAM. Anyone that can get away with 2x SSAA is better off with VRAM than 4x or 8x MSAA.

BTW, with these settings, what is your VRAM usage in P3D now?

Edited by cwburnett

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

the vram issue is killing me on VR with a 2080 8 gig excellent frame rate for the few seconds I can fly

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

12 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I think this does make sense. 2x SSAA is harder on the GPU from a processing standpoint, but only renders 2 frames per sim frame, versus 4x which renders 4x frames per sim frame which saves VRAM. Anyone that can get away with 2x SSAA is better off with VRAM than 4x or 8x MSAA.

BTW, with these settings, what is your VRAM usage in P3D now?

Well generally flying around ~5500Mb max. Sitting at a runway at default EHAM with Orbx True Earth Netherlands, 5800Mb. For me FlyTampa KLAS with Orbx SoCal is the hardest area but the screenshot below shows where I'm at with 4K resolution sitting at runway 8L.

BTW. I bumped cloud res to medium and only lost 100MB.

2020-4-17-14-0-4-166.jpg

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2SSAA does reduce fps more than 4MSAA in some situations, the trade off is it doesn't require as much vram. Really it comes down to being VRAM bound or are you "fps" bound. 

Edited by CaptainIronside
  • Like 1

Just now, SolRayz said:

Well generally flying around ~5500Mb max. Sitting at a runway at default EHAM with Orbx True Earth Netherlands, 5800Mb. For me FlyTampa KLAS with Orbx SoCal is the hardest area but the screenshot below shows where I'm at with 4K resolution sitting at runway 8L

Those are what I'm seeing also in 4k, in the 5k range at LVFR KMIA, pushing the limits in the low 6s with advanced atmospherics and the AS A330.  I have my textures on 2048, but my LOD and other settings are squarely at medium

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cwburnett said:

Those are what I'm seeing also in 4k, in the 5k range at LVFR KMIA, pushing the limits in the low 6s with advanced atmospherics and the AS A330.  I have my textures on 2048, but my LOD and other settings are squarely at medium

I can run 2048 textures everywhere else so far, but NOT in Las Vegas. Its crazy. I think FlyTampa textures take it over the top. 

Does anyone think that it is interesting that whether you have an 8 GB card or an 11 GB card, 81% of the VRAM is deemed useable (6.5 and 9 GB respectively)? It almost seems like LM reserved ~20% headroom for the OS and other apps. It makes me think that  the useable value listed in P3d5 is not actually measured. Only the amount of VRAM used by P3d5 is interrogated in real time from the the GPU.

Just now, jabloomf1230 said:

Does anyone think that it is interesting that whether you have an 8 GB card or an 11 GB card, 81% of the VRAM is deemed useable (6.5 and 9 GB respectively)? It almost seems like LM reserved ~20% headroom for the OS and other apps. It makes me think that  the useable value listed in P3d5 is not actually measured. Only the amount of VRAM used by P3d5 is interrogated in real time from the the GPU.

Yes it would be nice if I could bump the Vram limit up a bit, but my understanding is that this is how DX12 and Win10 works. Windows allocates each application a hard limit. I don't know...totally above my pay grade. 

11 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I can run 2048 textures everywhere else so far, but NOT in Las Vegas. Its crazy. I think FlyTampa textures take it over the top. 

Are flytampa textures already on 4k? Can you reduce them to 2k?

S

25 minutes ago, cannow said:

the vram issue is killing me on VR with a 2080 8 gig excellent frame rate for the few seconds I can fly

Have you tried locking your frames lower? Some are reporting that their VRAM is higher with higher framerates?  What happens if you lock at 30 - still running out? What are your other settings? (I don't use VR so not sure what the various implications are, but I didn't think VR would inherently use more VRAM than a 1440p screen)

4 hours ago, Airtrooper said:

Same here. There appear to be a clutch of us having non-OOM (vRAM) CTD. This is a separate issue to this thread, but worth letting LM know.

So far, with a 30 FPS limit I haven't had another CTD. Are you limiting frames?

I'm limiting at 40FPS.

I posted on LM forum here

But still no response.

Bruno Teixeira.
W11 PRO x64 | i9 13900k | RTX4090 | 32GB DDR5 | MSFS

It would be so easy if we could add some RAM to the video card as we can do this on the motherboard 😉

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I have a 9900k, 2080gtx and have all sorts of issues. Vram been one but I also have issues with my FPS getting choppy. I have the same settings I have in P3D V4.5.

I still can't believe we now have vram issues  to deal with. P3D V5 was suppose to address performance issues and overall give us better FPS. I think it's safe to say that P3D V5 and any further upgrades will never address the elephant in the room which is the sim is built on a very dated platform. Our only hope now for true performance is the new flight sim.