Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

32 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thank you for that perspective--it is helping me hold off for now despite the promise of significantly better performance.  I have 8GB of VRAM which does not sound like enough to really take advantage of the new architecture.  v4.5 is running so well right now I have no complaints but when 3080Ti comes along I will have the choice to go down the v5 road or MSFS whichever one looks more promising then.

I was definitely one that was initially disappointed, and that's partly still true because I still get a CTD when I change views back into the cockpit because of an AMD GPU compatibility, but I did an outside view here for you to show what I'm seeing after tweaking my settings.... I run at 4K and you can see my settings here and see that I'm using 5GB of by 6.8GB available. FlightBeam KSFO with ORBX Base, ORBX NorCal, ORBX NA LC, ORBX KSQL, enhanced atmospherics at Ultra, water at Ultra, textures at 2048 and 2xSSAA. And the Majestic Q400. My CPU is running at about 60% and GPU at 70%.  Performance gains are real.  Frames are unlimited vsync to 30hz screen. I also included a cockput photo on the ground at KSFO.

NbOzWgY.jpgkgPETTd.jpgcnru8LF.jpg8StFlpE.jpg

gyPaaIl.jpg

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Can we quickly summarize what the issue(s) is/are and what (if any) "band aid" solutions are being implemented.

Thanks.  

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

5 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I was definitely one that was initially disappointed, and that's partly still true because I still get a CTD when I change views back into the cockpit because of an AMD GPU compatibility, but I did an outside view here for you to show what I'm seeing after tweaking my settings.... I run at 4K and you can see my settings here and see that I'm using 5GB of by 6.8GB available. FlightBeam KSFO with ORBX Base, ORBX NorCal, ORBX NA LC, ORBX KSQL, enhanced atmospherics at Ultra, water at Ultra, textures at 2048 and 2xSSAA. And the Majestic Q400. My CPU is running at about 60% and GPU at 70%.  Performance gains are real.  Frames are unlimited vsync to 30hz screen. I also included a cockput photo on the ground at KSFO.

gyPaaIl.jpg

How did you transfer the Majestic Dash to v5?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

11 minutes ago, Nemo said:

How did you transfer the Majestic Dash to v5?

Copied the simobjects folder into v5 from v4, and then there are some effects and gauges that need to be moved also from each folder in v4 to the same folder in v5. If i recall the effects and gauges have the letters mjc in them so you can find them .

8 hours ago, CaptainIronside said:

That would be -too- convenient for the end user. 😋

AMD makes this "possible" 🙂

zWuAvKC.png

Altough i think you will anyhow have a performance impact.  But it realy works i could easyly increase my VRAM from 16 to 22 GB 🙂

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

9 minutes ago, 331BK said:

zWuAvKC.png

Altough i think you will anyhow have a performance impact.  But it realy works i could easyly increase my VRAM from 16 to 22 GB 🙂

mine comes tomorrow 😁

1 hour ago, cwburnett said:

mine comes tomorrow 😁

🙂 intrrested in your results 

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

4 hours ago, cwburnett said:

gyPaaIl.jpg

Hi CW I notice task manager is showing load on GPUs mine shows about 2% rtx 2080 8 gig with high vram . This seems strange me .all ok on v4

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

19 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

So how is performance vs v4 🙂 ? NGXU

Michael Moe

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

10 hours ago, cwburnett said:

FlightBeam KSFO with ORBX Base, ORBX NorCal, ORBX NA LC, ORBX KSQL, enhanced atmospherics at Ultra, water at Ultra, textures at 2048 and 2xSSAA. And the Majestic Q400. My CPU is running at about 60% and GPU at 70%.

I have to assume they're better numbers than you're used to but they don't seem particularly impressive from this report it seems about like what I would be seeing w/ the uber-easy-to-process Dash 8 which is as you know about as impactful as any of the default planes.  I will duplicate those settings in 4.5 and see but I'm guessing it will be a piece of cake to use those settings in the Dash 8 there.  

Addendum:  not getting what I thought at the one gate I parked in--down to 26 frames in the Dash 8 which as you know is a show stopper w/ unlimited/vsync to 30Hz screen.  I had flown into KSFO-HD/NCA last evening and in the NGXu which is by far the hardest plane to process of my 5 models it wasn't pretty w/o really killing the CPU sliders.  After that I deselected ORBX NCA so just Global Only and put slider back up above where you have yours above and all was well.  

As a side note visuals arguably look better in the Bay Area w/ Global Only which I had forgotten about--NCA is overly busy and just doesn't look as good in that specific location.  Great for smaller cities like KMRY and KSBA (So Cal) which I have the ORBX airport for being my former home town.  So flying out of KSFO-HD in the NGUx this morning in Global Only with settings very much higher than what you have above the CPU hit 94% briefly then we were hovering around 80% so totally smooth and almost maxed out scenery sliders and it looks really good.  But yes it appears performance seems better in what you show in V5.  Though once again, what I'm seeing in terms of IQ in 4.5 is very good and in the most demanding plane I have needed to lose ORBX NCA, but again that turns out to be a good thing anyway.

But yes, I see performance appears to be overall better.  It certainly makes sense to port as much to the GPU as possible since there is just so little room left in the CPU and they don't improve very fast these days and it's a whole lot easier to replace a GPU than a whole system.

Edited by Noel
New content

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So v5 includes a vram counter? 
then you can adjust your settings accordingly to stay below your cards limit? 
That would be perfect as more complex addons become available and weather etc etc to test.

cheers 

mike 

8 hours ago, 331BK said:

zWuAvKC.png

I suppose you have a Radeon VII, how is that behaving in V5? How about heat?  I'm trying to figure out my next step (1080Ti, 2080Ti or a Radeon VII), so i'm looking for any info from actual owners. Thanks!

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

18 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I suppose you have a Radeon VII, how is that behaving in V5? How about heat?  I'm trying to figure out my next step (1080Ti, 2080Ti or a Radeon VII), so i'm looking for any info from actual owners. Thanks!

Your RTX 2070 Super does 86% of the processing of 2080Ti w/ only 3 less GB of VRAM at less than half the cost.  You might consider waiting for 3080Ti out later this year which might be sporting VRAM amounts of 20Gb, though this is speculation as of the moment.   Sounds like the more the merrier w/ VRAM nowadays. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X