Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

deleted

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I don't want more VRAM. I want a sim that knows how to restrain itself in the usage of the VRAM available.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Forgot to tell you my "old" PC is gone, i run a 7700HQ with a GTX 1070 on a laptop at present. It was 2 years old (minus the 2070) and it really needed to go.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Just now, Nuno Pinto said:

It was 2 years old (minus the 2070) and it really needed to go.

I hope that was sarcasm.

No, PCs here don't last over 2 years. The 2070 was a casualty of war.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

7 hours ago, cannow said:

Hi CW I notice task manager is showing load on GPUs mine shows about 2% rtx 2080 8 gig with high vram . This seems strange me .all ok on v4

Yes, that does seem strange. I've seen that reported in the prepar3d forums. I am getting normal usage indications on my system, but there's plenty still not quite right with the new sim and its interaction with graphics drivers. There are numerous issues being worked by the LM team...hopefully they'll track most of them down soon!

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I have to assume they're better numbers than you're used to but they don't seem particularly impressive from this report it seems about like what I would be seeing w/ the uber-easy-to-process Dash 8 which is as you know about as impactful as any of the default planes.  I will duplicate those settings in 4.5 and see but I'm guessing it will be a piece of cake to use those settings in the Dash 8 there.  

Addendum:  not getting what I thought at the one gate I parked in--down to 26 frames in the Dash 8 which as you know is a show stopper w/ unlimited/vsync to 30Hz screen.  I had flown into KSFO-HD/NCA last evening and in the NGXu which is by far the hardest plane to process of my 5 models it wasn't pretty w/o really killing the CPU sliders.  After that I deselected ORBX NCA so just Global Only and put slider back up above where you have yours above and all was well.  

As a side note visuals arguably look better in the Bay Area w/ Global Only which I had forgotten about--NCA is overly busy and just doesn't look as good in that specific location.  Great for smaller cities like KMRY and KSBA (So Cal) which I have the ORBX airport for being my former home town.  So flying out of KSFO-HD in the NGUx this morning in Global Only with settings very much higher than what you have above the CPU hit 94% briefly then we were hovering around 80% so totally smooth and almost maxed out scenery sliders and it looks really good.  But yes it appears performance seems better in what you show in V5.  Though once again, what I'm seeing in terms of IQ in 4.5 is very good and in the most demanding plane I have needed to lose ORBX NCA, but again that turns out to be a good thing anyway.

But yes, I see performance appears to be overall better.  It certainly makes sense to port as much to the GPU as possible since there is just so little room left in the CPU and they don't improve very fast these days and it's a whole lot easier to replace a GPU than a whole system.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. My only point is that us 4k users CAN operate in complex scenery environments with reasonable settings AND have the new water and atmospherics turned up all the way AND not run out of VRAM.  On my system in 4.5 in this environment I would need to turn down a number of things from these settings to stay at 30fps, including autogen/scenery objects and possibly turn of SSAA.  I will test a couple other things later, including replicating that with the AS A330, which is harder on frames than the Dash or Maddog.

As for v5 overall, it has problems no doubt. I can't change views without a CTD and the OOVM CTD remains unacceptable in this age of DX12 gaming, so this isn't an 'all is well' post. This is just data related to the VRAM usage topic.

Finally, I found it interesting that I can't run with these settings at LVFR KMIA. There I will OOVM CTD if I don't set my textures down to 1024. So far, that's the only place harder on my GPU VRAM than norcal, but there are plenty more places to try.  And I do agree that with an 8GB GPU having to lower texture sizes to 1024 logical or reasonable.

32 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I don't want more VRAM. I want a sim that knows how to restrain itself in the usage of the VRAM available.

That is certainly the right goal. DX12 titles generally don't and shouldn't CTD over VRAM - they should dynamically downscale to shed load when needed.

36 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I want a sim that knows how to restrain itself in the usage of the VRAM available.

No problem, stick to DX11 sims.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

10 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

No problem, stick to DX11 sims.

No I like a sim to work as expected DX 12 should not run out of vram that easily . Its called memory management .I was getting CTD before installing any add ons never a good sign

Edited by cannow

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

42 minutes ago, Farlis said:

At the very least, give us a chance to turn down settings before it crashes. 

During the 32bit decade we had ooms......now we have them back......from ram to vram....

I also would like to see LM programm it correctly and the sim does not ctd due this effect. This is not properly done in my opinion.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Guys,

It seems it got lost in the thread. LM is aware of the VRAM issue and is working on a fix.

I posted Rob McCarthy statement on this subject, a HF is on the making..

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 2

Thanks for this message simbol. Good to know.

Regards Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 4/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, Piohib said:

I've just bought V4.5 (5th April) and I'm considering a refund and purchase of V5. However, on reading this topic I'm not sure if it's worthwhile, because I have RX 5700XT.

v4.5 runs smoothly on my PC with almost all sliders to the right, texture resolution Ultra and screen resolution 1920x1080 (I don't have 4K monitor) with PMDG NGXu, AS, SkyForce 3D, FS2Crew etc.

Has anyone experienced CTD when switching views or OOM's on 1920x1080 in V5? Especially with 5700xt?

Last one: does 14 day refund policy include working days?

23 minutes ago, simbol said:

Guys,

It seems it got lost in the thread. LM is aware of the VRAM issue and is working on a fix.

I posted Rob McCarthy statement on this subject, a HF is on the making..

Regards,

Simbol 

Glad to hear that. Tomorrow is the deadline for refund of my v4 purchase.

ugcx_banner.png ngxu_banner.png