Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

Original statement since it got lost..

48 minutes ago, simbol said:

Hi Raul,

This is at the top of our priorities on things we're currently working to improve and fix. We are planning to release a hotfix as soon as we can to fix the highest priority issues addressed by users. We currently cannot provide a firm date for this but we are hoping to have this out in the next couple weeks. 

Also one thing we've noticed in several cases is some add-ons tend to use 4k textures when it is not always necessary. Having users set their texture resolution to 2k instead and comparing memory usages around these add-ons is a good step to potentially reduce vram usage.

Regards,

Rob McCarthy

Prepar3D® Core Lead

Hope this helps, in the meantime if you follow my previous advise to tweak your settings and also Rob M. advise you should be able to avoid any CTD until the HF is available.

Regards,

Raul 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, Piohib said:

I've just bought V4.5 (5th April) and I'm considering a refund and purchase of V5. However, on reading this topic I'm not sure if it's worthwhile, because I have RX 5700XT.

v4.5 runs smoothly on my PC with almost all sliders to the right, texture resolution Ultra and screen resolution 1920x1080 (I don't have 4K monitor) with PMDG NGXu, AS, SkyForce 3D, FS2Crew etc.

Has anyone experienced CTD when switching views or OOM's on 1920x1080 in V5? Especially with 5700xt?

Last one: does 14 day refund policy include working days?

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. A fellow 5700XT user! 👍 Yes, I started a thread on the prepar3d forum and the LM team is actively working this RX 5XXX compatibility issue with AMD.  Beau updated this morning that they're working with AMD on it.

First, you can see my post a page or two back - so you can see that I do have it working, I just get the CTD when I switch back to the cockpit.  But I am able to run with mid-high settings including the new atmospherics and nice water within the 8GBs of VRAM, and performance is fine - I can maintain 30fps (via 30hz vsync) at 4K.

While the CTD on view change is a bit of a show stopper right now, I have to say that I'm otherwise pleased with performance and the new features. There's plenty of work to be done, but the LM team appears to be on the case.

A caveat, and I need to test more before I can say this definitively, is that I actually have been able to change back to the cockpit in ONE plane. The Majestic Q400. I can't do it with any default aircraft, the Aerosoft A330 nor the FSW Lear 35A, but the Q400 I seem to be able to do it. I need to test more to see if it is universal or just sometimes.

YMMV, but in your shoes, I'd refund v4 and buy v5. They'll get this fixed soon and when they do, you'll kick yourself for not having v5 and you'll end up buying it anyhow.  Spend the extra money it would have cost to buy both on some add-ons since there are some fantastic deals out there right now.  Flightbeam is all still on sale and they have v5 installers for their airports. 

Also, I've found it to be interesting forcing myself to stay only in the cockpit. I know some simmers don't ever use external views - I'm not one of them, I love my cinematic views, but...it is perfectly usable for me if I stay in the cockpit now that I've optimized my settings.

Again, YMMV...

Edited by cwburnett
  • Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

2 hours ago, pgde said:

For those who want more VRAM check out this brand new 2080Ti from MSI -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-gddr6-16gbps-msi

Too bad that they didn't sell it a year earlier. 😞

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

I don't want more VRAM. I want a sim that knows how to restrain itself in the usage of the VRAM available.

Then you also need developers to be more self-restricting and not adding all those bits and pieces to every add-on in mega hyper resolution.

• Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

18 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Too bad that they didn't sell it a year earlier. 😞

It’s only 16 gbps speed. Not the amount of vram which is still 11gb. The 3000 series cards will come with more vram but not the 2000 series.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

Also Yaaaa for a hot fix but that probably means any addons that come out for v5 like PMDG, fslabs , active sky will probably wait for this which is a bummer but I’ve always said late may will be when addons start dropping for v5

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

2 minutes ago, akabam said:

Also Yaaaa for a hot fix but that probably means any addons that come out for v5 like PMDG, fslabs , active sky will probably wait for this which is a bummer but I’ve always said late may will be when addons start dropping for v5

🙂 Wanted to say exactly the same thing 🙂 It`s bandwith not ammount of VRAM. 

Sorry guys didn`t have time to test it today hope i can deliver Radeon VII resultos tommorow. 

brgds

Edited by 331BK
  • Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Wow -- sorry guys, I completely misread the article. Will delete the post. My apologies.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, Piohib said:

Tomorrow is the deadline for refund of my v4 purchase.

Is my algebra really as bad as I think?

The program was released on the 14th. So for those who purchased it on release the deadline for the refund is the 27th. 

So how can your deadline be...

Edit:

oh forget it. You said v4 purchase... I misread.

Edited by Farlis

2 hours ago, simbol said:

Guys,

It seems it got lost in the thread. LM is aware of the VRAM issue and is working on a fix.

I posted Rob McCarthy statement on this subject, a HF is on the making..

Regards,

Simbol 

And so they should be Raul, IMO P3D v5 shouldn't have been released as soon as it was, given it's present problems, the current problem's could be damaging the brand.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Just now, eaim said:

And so they should be Raul, IMO P3D v5 shouldn't have been released as soon as it was, given it's present problems, the current problem's could be damaging the brand.

I am helping you guys as much as I posible can.. let's stay positive please.. they acknowledged it and they are working on it. 

S.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cwburnett said:

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. A fellow 5700XT user! 👍 Yes, I started a thread on the prepar3d forum and the LM team is actively working this RX 5XXX compatibility issue with AMD.  Beau updated this morning that they're working with AMD on it.

First, you can see my post a page or two back - so you can see that I do have it working, I just get the CTD when I switch back to the cockpit.  But I am able to run with mid-high settings including the new atmospherics and nice water within the 8GBs of VRAM, and performance is fine - I can maintain 30fps (via 30hz vsync) at 4K.

While the CTD on view change is a bit of a show stopper right now, I have to say that I'm otherwise pleased with performance and the new features. There's plenty of work to be done, but the LM team appears to be on the case.

A caveat, and I need to test more before I can say this definitively, is that I actually have been able to change back to the cockpit in ONE plane. The Majestic Q400. I can't do it with any default aircraft, the Aerosoft A330 nor the FSW Lear 35A, but the Q400 I seem to be able to do it. I need to test more to see if it is universal or just sometimes.

YMMV, but in your shoes, I'd refund v4 and buy v5. They'll get this fixed soon and when they do, you'll kick yourself for not having v5 and you'll end up buying it anyhow.  Spend the extra money it would have cost to buy both on some add-ons since there are some fantastic deals out there right now.  Flightbeam is all still on sale and they have v5 installers for their airports. 

Also, I've found it to be interesting forcing myself to stay only in the cockpit. I know some simmers don't ever use external views - I'm not one of them, I love my cinematic views, but...it is perfectly usable for me if I stay in the cockpit now that I've optimized my settings.

Again, YMMV...

I share your point of view, besides I`m that simmer you`re writing about - I hardly ever use external views. 😉

Thank you for the detailed overview and resolving my doubts.

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

Is my algebra really as bad as I think?

The program was released on the 14th. So for those who purchased it on release the deadline for the refund is the 27th. 

So how can your deadline be...

Edit:

oh forget it. You said v4 purchase... I misread.

Yeah, no problem. 🙂

• Like 1

ugcx_banner.png ngxu_banner.png

Short Update from Radeon VII front 🙂
Have 17 - 22 FPS with nearly everything fully right, VRAM usage is still about 10.5 - 11.5 GB over downtown London 🙂 

I only reduced Autogen vegetation to very dense, but the shadows had the most impact. 
Reduced shadow draw distance to medium and disabled shadows for vegetation, buildings and simulation objects completely. 
I am still running 20 % AIG Traffic.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I have nearly all my sliders full right except for the following (I also run a majority of the Shadow Boxes checked):

Tessellation: 1 step down from max

Scenery View Distance: 1 step down from max

Autogen Density: 1 step down from max

Texture Resolution: 2048 (rather than 4096)

Settings:

3440x1400 Ultrawide

4xSSAA with 16xAF

I'm using 6.6 GB of VRAM over FT EKCH in the Feelthere ERJ V3.

Framerate never drops below 40 FPS.

Edited by Arklight1

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

4 hours ago, eaim said:

Why wouldn’t they  have released  it now?

its working on many simmers machines.

again it’s the best method for LM to get feedback and address issues that arise to suit.As many of us have different systems.

and for those who think msfs2020 will not have any issues on release. 
Are all in lala  land!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1