Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

It seems that the newest Windows 10 version, version 2004, enables 10.1GB on a 1080Ti. Can somebody verify this?

I'm running W10 PRO. My Task Manager shows me with 11.0 available for my 1080ti 11GB card, but in P3D V5 the upper left corner readout shows me 9.6 GB available...something's up.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

It seems that the newest Windows 10 version, version 2004, enables 10.1GB on a 1080Ti. Can somebody verify this?

Shows for me, too.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

19 minutes ago, newtie said:

They're working on it.

I am sure they are. We'll look forward to their updates!

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

24 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

I'm running W10 PRO. My Task Manager shows me with 11.0 available for my 1080ti 11GB card, but in P3D V5 the upper left corner readout shows me 9.6 GB available...something's up.

Nothing is suspicious about the "discrepancy". We don't really know what LM means by "available VRAM". All we do know is that Win 10 itself can use anywhere from 500 MB to 1 GB of VRAM with no apps running, so it makes sense that with an 11 GB card, one will not be able to use all the VRAM for an app.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simbol said:

Can you do the same screenshot without P3D running?

I took a shot of my Task Manager after a fresh boot and then after loading in the AS A330 at FB KSFO.

After fresh boot:

V8iGxJ8.jpg

After loading in P3D5 at KSFO with the AS A330:

3gPm8OK.jpg

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

11 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Where did you read that?

In my primary forum, flightforum.ch. The guy tested now a 8GB card, there he gets 7.1GB instead of 6.6. A small step, but at least in the right direction. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

In my primary forum, flightforum.ch. The guy tested now a 8GB card, there he gets 7.1GB instead of 6.6. A small step, but at least in the right direction. 

Just that little bit would make a big difference for me. No matter what I do xxx/6.6 is the max for my MSI RTX2080 Gaming Trio.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

18 hours ago, Reader said:

Looking at task manager, Windows reserves 0.5 GB, or are you/they saying that Task Manager is misreporting as well?

xx.jpg

Either way, running out of 6.7 GB at conservative settings is not really acceptable.

No I'm not saying that the task manager is lying 🙂 but probably it shows you what windows is using, not what it has reserved for program x

BetaTeamB.png

18 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Shows for me, too.

Win 10 1909 reserves 20% of the available VRAM for the OS. Win 10 2004 which is being rolled out gradually and is available to those in the Windows Insider program appears to use less. An 11GB GPU shows 10.1 GB available and an 8GB GPU shows 7.1 GB available, so it looks like the new Win 10 version reserves 900 MB VRAM, but that needs to be confirmed by users with >11GB and <8GB VRAM.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

As others said...that's normal with Win10 1909 and an 11GB card...at least from what I've experienced with my 1080ti 11GB card.

Another data point anyway.

I didn't know that there was a new build of Win10 on the way.  I'm thinking if it reduces OS use of vram that's good -- but they haven't seen some of the wallpaper I have :)  -- talk about vram use.  heh.

I've noticed the DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG crash in P3Dv5, which I do not think is the same thing as vram starvation (?), but maybe it is.  DEVICE_HUNG might be the same crash we saw with the TDFi 717 in v4, it sure looks similar.  When I had the DEVICE_HUNG crash my vram was well below the limit.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

I'm thinking if it reduces OS use of vram that's good

It not only reduces the OS's VRAM usage but it seems to do it more sensibly. Rather than reserving a fixed percentage of your GPU's VRAM, it now reserves a fixed amount. This benefits cards with large amounts of VRAM, but whether this impacts cards with less VRAM in the same manner still needs to be confirmed.

20 hours ago, newtie said:

They're working on it.

youd think by 30 pages people might get the idea. I'm amazed LM didn't pick up the issue in testing. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

I have a GTX 970 4gb, at the moment with 1024 textures I get about 2.8GB our of 3.4 available with standard scenery and airplane. Hope that after the hot fix that LM will release i am going to be able to play the game. Don’t have the money for a 1070 or something