Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

As soon as you rise your texture size then you will run out of VRAM. All LM can do is reduce other settings, there is no other way i think.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

27 minutes ago, Maverick3006 said:

I have a GTX 970 4gb, at the moment with 1024 textures I get about 2.8GB our of 3.4 available with standard scenery and airplane. Hope that after the hot fix that LM will release i am going to be able to play the game. Don’t have the money for a 1070 or something 

You might need even more than an 8gig video card if you want to take full advantage of P3D v5.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

30 minutes ago, Maverick3006 said:

I have a GTX 970 4gb, at the moment with 1024 textures I get about 2.8GB our of 3.4 available with standard scenery and airplane. Hope that after the hot fix that LM will release i am going to be able to play the game. Don’t have the money for a 1070 or something 

You meet the minimum requirement for V5 so you will probably need a better gpu. It sucks but dx12 is meant to take advantage of higher end gpu and not ones that are 6 years old and not even top of the line from that gen 

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You might need even more than an 8gig video card if you want to take full advantage of P3D v5.

Dx12 is meant for higher end gpu. People also need to turn down settings if they want to run v5. Top end settings Imo should take the highest cards for flight sims

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

4 minutes ago, akabam said:

dx12 is meant to take advantage of higher end gpu

Is this why the "higher end GPU" is three or four times the price of an otherwise perfectly adequate 1070ti?

This would raise the cost of P3D v5 in the UK from £48 to around £1348. That's a lot of money for 4 GB of RAM.

Edited by Reader

Just now, akabam said:

Dx12 is meant for higher end gpu.

Are you sure about that?

13 minutes ago, DJJose said:Are you sure about that?

any card from 900 series plus is built for dx12 but the newer ones are built more for the way games are designed. I would redo my post and say older cards are compatible but can’t keep up. More vram is recommend for any game these days as well as the specs of a 6 year old card can’t be what these companies build around. I’m not saying you should have to upgrade but don’t be surprised when they aren’t built around cards 5+ years old. At that point you get stuck with trying to optimize for a very large range of cards which doesn’t work. The guy with the 970 meets the minimum reqs so that would be low setting and few to no addons airports etc. I wouldn’t expect PMDG etc to run fine even though it might have in V4. They are different games.

Mark Roberts 

19 minutes ago, Reader said:

Is this why the "higher end GPU" is three or four times the price of an otherwise perfectly adequate 1070ti?

This would raise the cost of P3D v5 in the UK from £48 to around £1348. That's a lot of money for 4 GB of RAM.

A 1070ti should be fine to run p3d. Maxed out, probably not but it will run just fine. If there are vram issues they may be fixed a little. People don’t understand with dx12 you only get to use the vram on the card and not share with your system memory. Lots of people had stutters etc exactly for that reason they would run out of vram and start using system ram. I think there is a difference between having a card that meets minimum specs and one that’s meets recommended. For the first lower settings or get a new gpu, for the second wait for a hotfix or lower settings

• Like 1

Mark Roberts 

5 minutes ago, akabam said:

A 1070ti should be fine to run p3d. Maxed out, probably not but it will run just fine. If there are vram issues they may be fixed a little. People don’t understand with dx12 you only get to use the vram on the card and not share with your system memory. Lots of people had stutters etc exactly for that reason they would run out of vram and start using system ram. I think there is a difference between having a card that meets minimum specs and one that’s meets recommended. For the first lower settings or get a new gpu, for the second wait for a hotfix or lower settings

There's always the option to stick with P3D v4.5 HF3 and add reshade. IMHO v5 is a brighter version of v4.5 with "maybe" a few more fps. We'll find out more when users start loading up their sims.

• Like 1

A 1070ti should be fine to run p3d.

Thanks, I do understand the concept of running out of RAM and that under Direct X 12 this causes an irrecoverable OOM.

I don't think that this is a forward move, given that P3D v4 has not yet run out of my 8 GB of graphics card RAM with settings near enough all to the right.

I also note that the recommended card is with 8+ GB and my point remains that to achieve even three more introduces a price differential of £1000 from a 1070ti.

Apparently, if I want to have 24 GB, then the difference becomes £2100.

These are eye watering sums of money to run a version of P3D that looks pretty much like the existing version.

This is without taking into account the broken airports, the blurry photo scenery and the punch to the ground when landing.

It is to be fervently hoped that these are all temporary glitches that can be solved, I look forward to the solutions but wonder why these evident problems are even there in a release version.

Edited by Reader

TrueSky is the OOM culprit.  Dont need it.  When my Active Sky is updated for v5 I will you use that, along with REX textures which already do work.

spacer.png

Just tried 2004 on a 2080 8 gig seeing better vram handling lots f testing sure I can break it

• Like 1

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

5 minutes ago, cannow said:

Just tried 2004 on a 2080 8 gig seeing better vram handling lots f testing sure I can break it

Yes can break but took a bit of doing 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Hi,

I have just switched to Windows 10 edition 2004 and I confirm : my VRam data under P3D v5 goes from 3.9 / 6.7 GB to 3.9 / 7.1 GB.

This change (more 400 Mo) is very beneficial because I have in addition more fluidity and the VRam is released more quickly.

Windows-10-Edit-2004.jpg

Lagaffe

Edited by lagaffe

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar