Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

My first and not amused impression of P3D V5

You will OOM of VRAM also in MSFS when you go nuts with your AA settings in 4k. Neither P3D V5 nor MSFS will grow you hardware ressources and both are putting their pants on one leg after the other.

A new version of software doesn't mean you can switch off your common sense when it comes to config settings.

The broader the beta team is the better will be the first release, but there is nothing like bugfree at first.

• Like 5

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

9 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

Think we need to redistribute some chill pills again.   Since when has a major release been completely free of issues?   V4.0 was a long time ago now, but that wasnt exactly a smooth transition. Nor should it be expected when you are dealing with the countless of configurations, and hardware out there not to mention the addons that linger around in the registry.   

It is somewhat expected to have some bugs at the outset until things settle.  Which is the reason why V4 and V5 can be installed concurrently.  So use V4 for the time being, and as installer updates from addons come about, the dust will in time settle. P3D has never been visually appealing out of the box as did its predecessor. (in fact its ugly)  It relies on addons to enhance. The foundation is there to be used and 3PDs will soon use those features.   Soon you will have Active Sky and REX clouds merging with the true sky.

Think overall its been a good update. DX12 is more balanced, True Sky, Waveworks both are sweet but need to be polished.  The default airports, big difference from the old 2006 database.   Straight vanilla V5 worked great.   Its when I started adding in Orbx stuff did I have some CTD.   The high Vram usage may be the factor, so it just needs to be adjusted.   Mostly everyone is void of having a Titan with 24gb of Vram. 

We will hear about the same cycle in MSFS.  Theres just no way to test with the thousands of machine configs out there without strange issues coming up. 

Well I am not talking about "completely free".

But their selling points where:

• DX12 (does seem to work)
  • Nvidia Wavework 2.0 (very poor implementated!! and absolutly not an eye candy how they did it - look at youtube and their promotion videos from nvidia
  • TrueSky: Bad implementated as well. Bad cloud behaviour. Grid texture problems, flat implementated as they come up to the horizon, bad shading, small sun, much to dark at some point of views (fly at 350FL and pan around above the clouds..........)

So 2 of three selling points are gone....that earns not a quality award

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I will wait 1 1/2 weeks. If there are signs from LM that they "see" the issues and working on a "patch" and state what this will fix, I will wait, otherwise I will ask for a refund.

Unfortunatly I can´t post on LM due the fact my password reset does not work and they won´t react......so have to post here and hope that others post the issues overthere.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

18 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

But.....please don´t hesitate to enjyo what you got and what you aimed for. It is just my opinion wich I am sharing here and wait for some reactions and probably other opinions.

Regards Marcus 

I understand.  I also know what its like to throw tantrums on day one when I didn't like what I was seeing.  But we have to give it some time.

I only have V5 now as I've uninstalled V4 completely.  

I think the water implementation is disappointing visually at the moment.  I hope they sort that out soon.     Hoping Active Sky will sort out the anomalies being presented.  The Jordan King video was quite a good representation of the clouds I thought.    I liked the performance gains.

Overall it seems like a great platform for moving forward.  Just hope it doesn't take as long to sort out these issues as it took to sort out the dynamic lighting issues in V4

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

You will OOM of VRAM also in MSFS when you go nuts with your AA settings in 4k. Neither P3D V5 nor MSFS will grow you hardware ressources and both are putting their pants on one leg after the other.

A new version of software doesn't mean you can switch off your common sense when it comes to config settings.

The broader the beta team is the better will be the first release, but there is nothing like bugfree at first.

I have no problems spending my earned money partly on hardware as long as it is enjoyable and the quality is ok.

But this one from LM really knocks me of my socks. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I think I am going to wait as well after reading a bunch of various posts. LM has a lot of work to do. I don't have the energy to go through a whole new install if the install is laced with problems. I'll fly my perfectly tuned v4.5 this weekend, and next weekend, and an on and on.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric 

Hmmm, I've seen this play out before. Every major version release. Even when version 4.xx first came out. No surprise to me, I think some are having a disconnect with history.

• Upvote 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I remember it well, and before I was wise enough to wait until the second point release before switching versions.

But this time I thought: "Perhaps they have learned their past lessons? 

It seems they don't want to.

Well this time I'm going to refund.

Which is a shame, because I see the potential. The new atmospheric model is gorgeous, volumetric clouds can be the future (if the look better than this) and the performance increase is substantial on my system.

But running out of VRAm the instance I enter VR was the nail in the coffin for this version.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I think I am going to wait as well after reading a bunch of various posts. LM has a lot of work to do. I don't have the energy to go through a whole new install if the install is laced with problems. I'll fly my perfectly tuned v4.5 this weekend, and next weekend, and an on and on.....

Agreed!   About the nVidia WaveWorks v2.0..implementation...that is what has me so disappointed this morning. I was so counting on that to be...stoked!  My assumption was from what I saw the engine put out, on the nVidia WaveWorks information site.

I could care less about the new features except one thing, the performance. Saved me from buying new hardware. With my five years old Laptop with GTX980 and just 4GB VRAM I get now double fps. 60+ fps with ORBX Global/LC Europe and the new MK Studios LEPA scenery.

That leaves some room for FSLabs :). Also I trust the Active sky and REX guys will sort out a similarly nice weather depiction in v5 as well, just give them a few days.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

25 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

yes, i understad but...

buying a product to turn off?

its like buying potatoes with eggs and throw eggs to junk and eat some potatoes. 🙂

No, that is not a fair comparison. Correct would be discovering one of the eggs was bad, returning to the shop and getting a replacement. You still have potatoes and eggs.

With P3d V5 being owned for less than 24 hours, you report the issue to LM and they fix it.  You still have a flightsim you can fly in.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

It's amusing to see what commercial FS community has become to. Just bend over and take it. If I would act like that with my customers, my firm would get lynched, and rightfully so.

Maybe I should get into that business too. Seems like an easy buck.

Edited by Evros
  • Like 7

Everybody should just chill and take a deep breath. 

I mean, stock water and clouds in FSX, wasn't exactly something to 'write home about'?! I'm fairly certain, that addon-developers will improve on these aspects! The way I see it is, that P3D is more than a skeleton or framework for other developers to build upon. LM has implemented new technologies into the sim, that addon developers can take advantage of from here. As soon as HifiSim, REX and ORBX get into the whole new sim, I'm fairly certain, there's amazing potential - especially with NVIDIA WaterWorks and TrueSky!

Give it some time, people -  and stop jumping to conclusions.

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

29 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

P3D V4 bacame really enjoyable with 4.5 and 4.6 at leastb in VR due the performance updates and new nvidia drivers. So almost 2 years after 4 came out!

Do you get my point? 

I am not a beta tester and especially not for 60 or 200 $ pricetag.

That is one of the worst implements I have ever seen from them. I began with the promotion video, than some others who posted "garbage videos" and guess what......they where right.

I´ll find it a shame that a company like P3D, which has top of the bill engineers on board, throw a poor quality "update" of their product on the market. 

Why, because we accpeted this for probably years due the lag of competition.

Marcus

Why buy a product after you have seen 'garbage' videos? You also admit it being two years before you were fully happy with the previous version!  Plenty of competition in flight sim.  Xplane is butter smooth now it has implemented Vulkan and MS2020 is not far away.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 minutes ago, Evros said:

It's amusing to see what commercial FS community has become to. Just bend over and take it. If I would act like that with my customers, my firm would get lynched, and rightfully so.

Maybe I should get into that business too. Seems like an easy buck.

Indeed, there are some add-ones developers (won't put names) don't want to answer your questions or even so, with rude comments, like they are doing you some charity and you got these product for free from them, didn't pay for them. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super