Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

My first and not amused impression of P3D V5

4 minutes ago, thepilot said:

Yes, by buying the Professional version 🤣

That's what I did when v4 came out. Just trying to confirm the same behaviour happens to v5.

Thanks again. 🙂

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

43 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Great, so you continue to use your current product.  Maybe after a while you take another look at V5 but maybe you don't. You have the choice.  Personally, if I purchase potatoes from a shop I trust, I am willing to forgive them if one potato is bad.

I do find it odd all this negativity less than one day from release.

All this talk of potatoes....makes me want to go out and order fish n' chips....not helpful to my waist, guys!  Pick another place-holder...;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

That's what I did when v4 came out. Just trying to confirm the same behaviour happens to v5.

Thanks again. 🙂

For the record, in v3 checking off the notifications would hide the watermark. This mark is a petty marketing trick not worth a company like LM. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, domkle said:

For the record, in v3 checking off the notifications would hide the watermark. This mark is a petty marketing trick not worth a company like LM. 

That's what I did by then. But since v4 came out this solution never worked again.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

You will OOM of VRAM also in MSFS when you go nuts with your AA settings in 4k. Neither P3D V5 nor MSFS will grow you hardware ressources and both are putting their pants on one leg after the other.

A new version of software doesn't mean you can switch off your common sense when it comes to config settings.

Agreed, but at least for some of us, settings that worked well in v4.5 with 8GB of VRAM no longer work in v5. I have to use lower settings to stay under the VRAM limit in v5. Moreover, in v4.5 going over 8GB temporarily in a high scenery/cloud density area meant utilizing a bit of shared GPU memory (regular RAM) and getting some stutters until I left that area, but in v5 that same situation just causes a CTD.  I don't know of any other modern DX12 game platform that simply won't utilize shared GPU and instead crashes when you hit the limit. Hopefully there will be a fix because that sounds like a pretty significant step backwards.  The idea that 8GB of VRAM isn't enough is all well and good, but there's only one GPU (AMD Radeon VII) with more than 8GB VRAM for less than $1000 right now. That may change by the end of 2020 with Navi 2x cards from AMD and the next gen Nvidia 30xx cards, but until then, we're stuck with what we have. It is VRAM roulette. I took my settings down below 4.5 levels, turned off AA and survived the departure from MIA, but when MSY scenery loaded on final, oops, I misjudged what my VRAM usage would be at the airport and ...boom...CTD.

40 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Great, so you continue to use your current product.  Maybe after a while you take another look at V5 but maybe you don't. You have the choice.  Personally, if I purchase potatoes from a shop I trust, I am willing to forgive them if one potato is bad.

Absolutely. My 4.5 installation is unmolested and works great still. But for some of us, the analogy isn't that one of the potatoes is bad. They're all bad. CTD on view change. Hopefully compatibility with Radeon cards is on the shortlist of fixes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I am really enjoying P3Dv5.  All I wanted was to have a smooth experience when taxiing around complex airports.  P3Dv5 does that for me.  I disabled the new clouds as it brought on terrible white artifacts around trees and mountain tops where clouds were.  That's why it says BETA.  I've got a lot of my add-ons loaded (the ones compatible already) and it's butter smooth.  I don't even have top of the line hardware.  G-sync monitor, vsync on in NVIDIA control panel, off in sim.  30 fps capped in sim.  GTX 1070, i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Be aware of the fact that a lot of users have issues with vram and getting ctd most probably of that issue. So performance is not given for everyone. It really depends on your rig.

Indeed.

I DID buy this to have a version of P3D with better performance to last me until MFS comes out and I upgrade my mainboard, ram and cpu. 

But in its current state it is badly optimized. Running out of VRAM with similar graphical options checked as in V4 the instance I try to activate VR, which is what I fly exclusively and why I needed improved performance in the tubeliners.

If it stays this way I can't use it with my one year old 1660TI. I will not upgrade my GPU again after such a short time just to be able to fly VR in P3D...

Well, this is a disappointing thread to read this morning -- when I was excited to purchase V5. Now I am not sure. I am quite happy with 4.5 and may just say here and wait. I certainly do not want to go back to a platform where I am adjusting sliders simply not to OOM, that, for me, is a backwards step even if there is 30 or 40 percent improvement in overall performance. I have only 8GB vram and am not at the moment prepared to spend over $1,000 on a card to run v5.

One question, is the challenge with vram due primarily to True Sky? If you disable the beta "upgrade" is vram still an issue?

• Like 1

Dan Scott

2 minutes ago, Cognita said:

One question, is the challenge with vram due primarily to True Sky? If you disable the beta "upgrade" is vram still an issue?

Truesky does use VRAM, but I have the problem even with it turned off.  And we don't know yet what the VRAM implications of using ASP+ASCA (or the Rex equivalents) will be on VRAM usage in v5. I actually don't mind that an upgraded sim needs more VRAM; throttling my settings to live within the limits of my system is also no problem philosophically.  My problem is the handling of exceeding VRAM causes a hard crash, which no DX12 app should do.

• Upvote 3

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

For me, if the performance improvement findings hold out once people start adding AI etc, and if I can port over most of my addons for free then it will be a no brainer to upgrade.  True sky etc may be neat and could be a solid reason to upgrade in the future, but for me, for the sake of US$60, it looks to be a worthwhile upgrade regardless.

I’ll likely wait a bit though to make the switch so i don’t have to run v4 and v5 in parallel.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, ErichB said:

Honestly, people just need to stop hyperventilating and give things time to settle in.  It's not even 24  hours after release.

There are historically always a few niggles first which always get addressed soon after.   Stop rushing everything.  Just calm down.

In fairness, the OP's observations sound like more than "a few niggles."  The current version is not listed as a beta release.

• Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

All this talk of potatoes....makes me want to go out and order fish n' chips....not helpful to my waist, guys!  Pick another place-holder...;)

Are there any fish and chip shops open at the moment?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

45 minutes ago, Cognita said:

Well, this is a disappointing thread to read this morning -- when I was excited to purchase V5. Now I am not sure.

Don’t lose your excitement because of the gaggle of negativity you read here. It seems to always happen with P3D releases, who knows why. So many people going on about how they’re going to return it for a refund, after half a day of testing!

v5 is a big step forward. It’s not perfect by any means, but you’re joining up now for the start of a 2-3 year journey that I think will be very rewarding.

My advice? Just buy it, and fly the darn thing.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Are there any fish and chip shops open at the moment?

Just found out mine is reopening 3 days a week starting from tomorrow 😊

• Like 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I'm NOT impressed at all. V.R. SUCKS so far. Worked perfect in 4.5.

• Like 2

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,