Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

My first and not amused impression of P3D V5

So let me summarize this entire thread. P3D v5 might be barely acceptable if you:

1.  Replace everything you see on the ground.
  2.  Replace everything you see in the upper atmosphere.
  3.  Replace everything you see in between.
  4.  Replace the default aircraft.
  5.  Replace the live-weather function. (Oh wait, PD3 doesn't have live weather. So you'll have to buy that.)
  6.  Replace the pitifully "performing" VR in P3D v5 with useable software.
  7.  Replace pretty much everything else as well.

Actually, many of you won't have to worry about these problems because your system will CTD before you experience any of these issues. At least give LM credit for making an honest promotional video. The program itself is just as bad as the promo represented it to be. To paraphrase an old saying: "Microsoft Flight Simulator's butt would make P3D v5 a good Sunday face."

• Like 5

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

17 hours ago, anden145 said:

Everybody should just chill and take a deep breath. 

I mean, stock water and clouds in FSX, wasn't exactly something to 'write home about'?! I'm fairly certain, that addon-developers will improve on these aspects! The way I see it is, that P3D is more than a skeleton or framework for other developers to build upon. LM has implemented new technologies into the sim, that addon developers can take advantage of from here. As soon as HifiSim, REX and ORBX get into the whole new sim, I'm fairly certain, there's amazing potential - especially with NVIDIA WaterWorks and TrueSky!

Give it some time, people -  and stop jumping to conclusions.

P3D users have a sort of Stockholm syndrome - happy to drop $200 on a new platform and immediately commit to spending further 100's for 3rd party devs to fix everything

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, EGLD said:

P3D users have a sort of Stockholm syndrome - happy to drop $200 on a new platform and immediately commit to spending further 100's for 3rd party devs to fix everything

Not entirely untrue 🤣. I am amazed to see that we are passing from a situation where we were glad to see outside developers bringing stuff that the sim was not including to its normalization into a paradigm : the core sim has to be ugly and barely innovative from one version to another because it is just a platform to hook addons. Strange. 

Those promoting this idea do more harm than good to P3D in the long run.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Are there any fish and chip shops open at the moment?

Sure are...if they have take-out, which they all do!   MMMMMM mmmm, you guys keep talking about computer programs as potatoes...and I will now call up my local Fish n Chips hole in the wall...and order Cod n' Chips.   Oh...and throw in a couple of Pepsi's....   Be there in 20 minutes....I got to get back to my forum....munch on Cod 'n Chips,...and keep reading.......:)

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Oh, boy....am I looking forward to the day when the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is released. I will be ordering the popcorn well in advance for that one.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Same here. I was going to buy v5 today but decided to wait. I will enjoy v4.5 for now.

I've decided the same thing now.  I'll revisit purchasing, when it is most likely three sub-releases down the road.  (v5.3), ....but then again...by that time...MSFS20 will have been RTM'ed!  It will be very interesting to see what DX it will be RTM'ed with...and if it **IS** also DX12, if everyone will see the same exhausted and CTD vRAM issues, that are happening with P3D v5.0  Yes, that will be interesting to witness...

6 hours ago, rlashier said:

Is anyone having success running v5 with a GTX 1070 video card. I installed v5 on my system and on start-up an error message said the GTX stopped working and then a CTD when the scenario screen tries to load. Will a video card with “only” 8 GB of vram run v5?

Yes...I had this happen before with my EVGA GTX1070 FTW.  What it was, was NOT the card...it was the driver...that stopped communication with the GPU.   Try different drivers, EVEN if the present one, ran v4.5 well.  v5.0 will certainly make different demands upon the video driver suite,  let alone, that it is communicating through DX12, from DX11.   When I swapped out my driver at the time...that cured that...and never saw that happen again.  It is not v5...it is that your present driver is not HANDLING v5...in conjunction with your installed card.   Das all...

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

p3dv5.png

all setting max with a 1080ti, with all orbx and default plane

look at vram use.

Edited by grandfred29

Frédéric Giraud

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

So let me summarize this entire thread. P3D v5 might be barely acceptable if you:

1.  Replace everything you see on the ground.
  2.  Replace everything you see in the upper atmosphere.
  3.  Replace everything you see in between.
  4.  Replace the default aircraft.
  5.  Replace the live-weather function. (Oh wait, PD3 doesn't have live weather. So you'll have to buy that.)
  6.  Replace the pitifully "performing" VR in P3D v5 with useable software.
  7.  Replace pretty much everything else as well.

Actually, many of you won't have to worry about these problems because your system will CTD before you experience any of these issues. At least give LM credit for making an honest promotional video. The program itself is just as bad as the promo represented it to be. To paraphrase an old saying: "Microsoft Flight Simulator's butt would make P3D v5 a good Sunday face."

At this moment I feel no urge to switch from a smooth working v4.5 to v5...

I will wait till LM has addressed all issues they have acknowledged already + some extra bugs.

Probably all beta testers were choosen because they all had 24 Gb’s Titans icw  1024/768 displays.. 🤫

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, Dexter1979 said:

I'm happy with my purchase. 

RPVM... Mactan–Cebu International

WIzjjN.jpg

I am happy I bought it and I very much like the new (beta) cloud and atmosphere representation. However, the default scenery looks as ugly as decades ago, doesn't it? I know their philosphy to leave this to 3PDs, but come on LM, this is 2020.

Going to install ORBX stuff now.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Having been in the simming world for too many decades to remember, I've come to the conclusion that simmers wouldn't be happy unless they got a Level-D sim, with "study level" aircraft that modelled the world down to the nearest millimetre. All for no more than $50 that would run at 2000 fps on a computer no more powerful that the one that ran Apollo 11 - with lifetime free upgrades.

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

David Porrett

I'll pass.  I'll keep my 4.5, but have now taken the opportunity to explore the dark side...... Xplane 11 now purchased. 

• Like 1

"At this moment I feel no urge to switch from a smooth working v4.5 to v5...

I will wait till LM has addressed all issues they have acknowledged already + some extra bugs.

Probably all beta testers were choosen because they all had 24 Gb’s Titans icw  1024/768 displays.. 🤫"

Yes for guys with home cockpits like us, 4.5 performs better with the triples.  I do have to say though that V5 with the beta atmosphere was pretty impressive especially looking out across the cockpit. It definitely needs the latest and greatest graphic card as the frame rates weren't that great, but overall I think it has good potential once a few of the performance issues are ironed out.

Edited by Garys
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Probably all beta testers were choosen because they all had 24 Gb’s Titans icw  1024/768 displays.. 🤫

I wonder how many testers were normal users (simmers, flight school instructors etc. ) and not 3rd party  developers (I mean real FS dev) in hurry to see v5 released to give back a little life to a slumped market.

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, Garys said:

Yes for guys with home cockpits like us, 4.5 performs better with the triples.  I do have to say though that V5 with the beta atmosphere was pretty impressive especially looking out across the cockpit. It definitely needs the latest and greatest graphic card as the frame rates weren't that great, but overall I think it has good potential once a few of the performance issues are ironed out.

At this moment I am very sceptical as my server has a 2080Ti that drives one NVSurround image at 2x 4K (!).

Perhaps the V5 default scenery will already be too much for the VRAM..

- - -

Indeed V5 has been rushed out way too soon.

Why LM did not wait so the Armospheric features worked completely and they had come up with a solution for the VRAM issue..

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0