Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

My first and not amused impression of P3D V5

Just now, GSalden said:

Thanks. Is that a GPU version with 8 or 11 Gb ?

11Gb - and that often seems to be the saving factor !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

1 minute ago, AUA425 said:

11Gb - and that often seems to be the saving factor !

Good to know.

My left view client has a 2080 8Gb driving a 4K display. That seems to be a no go.

As MSFS is using DX11 it might be enough for now and when that goes to DX12 my server’s 2080 Ti 12Gb ( 2x 4K ) might be enough for my left client.

The server then will get a 16-24Gb graphics card.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

P3D v5 for me would be a downgrade. P3D v4.5 HF2 should last me until the new MSFS is released. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and saved me the time and aggravation of testing a new version that IMO is still in beta.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

So now with the logic of the vRAM, I have RTX2080, maybe I will hold myself and wait until RTX3080TI released or even wait till MSFS is released and then compare the performance with P3Dv5 and see if is really worth to upgrade the GPU or maybe add a SLI bridge if MSFS can support this. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

Developers are basically given the key to the Kingdom with DX12, but with that comes huge responsibilities in how their games manage VRAM.

Yes, but how are LM supposed to control the number of addons that individual simmers use? Flight simulation in P3D is a completely different ball game when compared to normal games.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It does sound like they have made a balls upon the graphical vRAM requirements of this new version. You should always develop for the lower medium end of the market. I thought obvious errors like this were behind the industry. Then again, LM were never openly going for the home market so perhaps this is the straw?

• Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

P3D v5 for me would be a downgrade. P3D v4.5 HF2 should last me until the new MSFS is released. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and saved me the time and aggravation of testing a new version that IMO is still in beta.

Definitely not a downgrade for me, I got twice the frames for much better visuals.

Lets see how everybody thinks about V5 in a few weeks 😜

Edited by rob0203

I don't know guys. It's funny reading all the comments about v5 (specially the negative ones). Most of the comments sound like people are being force by an unknown power to buy v5 but they are resisting. We had the same arguments when P3D came out vs FSX years ago. Many were complaining about "oh my addons", "oh my planes", "oh I have 5fps but still flyable"... or FSX looks nicer than P3D... and what happened at the end... Almost everybody is flying in P3D. If you ask why? The answer is because with time most addons were converted to P3D (and the jump to 64bit). This is a hobby that you need to spend money to be happier with your sim platform (unless you are a pirate)... it's a fact...

What do you think what's gonna happen when FS2020 is finally released? 🥳.... Same thing.... "oh it doesn't work as fast because I don't have a faster internet connection"... "I have stutters"... "I cannot find my house"... "Default airports are no updated to 1 minute ago diagrams"... "CTD because of this or that"... and what people are going to say?.... I'm going to stick with P3D for a while...

Maybe the real reason of the stutters and long pauses is not their hardware... maybe is the pc full of malware that is slowing everything.

I understand that default scenery looks dated... My point with the screenshots I took is that before v5, most non big city default airports were only a runway... You could land... fine...  but you couldn't taxi because there were no taxiways... now you do...

Flightsim is evolving an we HAVE to wait, give them time, instead of throwing stones to everything new that comes out. As I said before no one is force to buy anything... and is NOT OK to say negative stuff about a product (in this case a software version) that you don't own just to feel better with yourself.

My 2 cents... 🙂

Well... I'm launching v5 and have a good time... 😃

Edited by Dexter1979
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

1 hour ago, MarkJHarris said:

It does sound like they have made a balls upon the graphical vRAM requirements of this new version. You should always develop for the lower medium end of the market. I thought obvious errors like this were behind the industry. Then again, LM were never openly going for the home market so perhaps this is the straw?

Yes, P3D v5 is originally developed for this flight sim and its hardware....

160406-F-NK166-003.JPG

It maybe runs not so well on this one .....

main_image-100718426-large.jpg

Your setup may vary 👍

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dexter1979 said:

I don't know guys. It's funny reading all the comments about v5 (specially the negative ones). Most of the comments sound like people are being force by an unknown power to buy v5 but they are resisting. We had the same arguments when P3D came out vs FSX years ago. Many were complaining about "oh my addons", "oh my planes", "oh I have 5fps but still flyable"... or FSX looks nicer than P3D... and what happened at the end... Almost everybody is flying in P3D. If you ask why? The answer is because with time most addons were converted to P3D (and the jump to 64bit). This is a hobby that you need to spend money to be happier with your sim platform (unless you are a pirate)... it's a fact...

What do you think what's gonna happen when FS2020 is finally released? 🥳.... Same thing.... "oh it doesn't work as fast because I don't have a faster internet connection"... "I have stutters"... "I cannot find my house"... "Default airports are no updated to 1 minute ago diagrams"... "CTD because of this or that"... and what people are going to say?.... I'm going to stick with P3D for a while...

Maybe the real reason of the stutters and long pauses is not their hardware... maybe is the pc full of malware that is slowing everything.

I understand that default scenery looks dated... My point with the screenshots I took is that before v5, most non big city default airports were only a runway... You could land... fine...  but you couldn't taxi because there were no taxiways... now you do...

Flightsim is evolving an we HAVE to wait, give them time, instead of throwing stones to everything new that comes out. As I said before no one is force to buy anything... and is NOT OK to say negative stuff about a product (in this case a software version) that you don't own just to feel better with yourself.

My 2 cents... 🙂

Well... I'm launching v5 and have a good time... 😃

Flightsim is evolving. I think the frustration is theyre selling a rushed buggy 200 dollar flightsim with 15 year old graphics.  Theres not even any extra default aircraft.

A new sky and some performance increases should be a version jump not a $200 purchase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theboot100 said:

A new sky and some performance increases should be a version jump not a $200 purchase.

Again this $200 thing just to get rid of an watermark.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

7 minutes ago, Theboot100 said:

Flightsim is evolving. I think the frustration is theyre selling a rushed buggy 200 dollar flightsim with 15 year old graphics.  Theres not even any extra default aircraft.

There is a $59.95 version if someone don't want to spend $200... 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

Many people unhappy with clouds but isn’t it possible to replace the cloud textures with Envtex/Skyforce/ASCA?

27 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Again this $200 thing just to get rid of an watermark.

For some of us, it's worth the extra $140 not to have to edit the watermark out of screen shots. 😄  And I hate having extraneous text on my screen when I'm flying.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

14 minutes ago, LHookins said:

For some of us, it's worth the extra $140 not to have to edit the watermark out of screen shots. 😄  And I hate having extraneous text on my screen when I'm flying.

Hook

Bizarre.  Well if you're throwing money away buy me a VR.  😛

• Like 3

spacer.png