Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

My first and not amused impression of P3D V5

2 hours ago, Karelpatch said:

Mind to explain what is the AMD issue?? Thanks 

Users of the Radeon RX 5600/5700 family all are getting CTD on view change. It is being worked in the LM forum, but they don't have access to a machine with any of those cards so they're reaching out to AMD for help.

So far at least we haven't heard from anyone with the card that isn't having the same problem.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

4 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Users of the Radeon RX 5600/5700 family all are getting CTD on view change. It is being worked in the LM forum, but they don't have access to a machine with any of those cards so they're reaching out to AMD for help.

So far at least we haven't heard from anyone with the card that isn't having the same problem.

Could that issue potentially be rectified (temporarily at least) by using UseGlobalTerrainView=True? So it doesn't need to create new views / fetch new textures for each view?

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

49 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Could that issue potentially be rectified (temporarily at least) by using UseGlobalTerrainView=True? So it doesn't need to create new views / fetch new textures for each view?

That's on my list to try today actually, thanks! But I should have been more specific. We can all leave the cockpit no problem, cycle through any external view, but we can never return to the cockpit. Any loading of any cockpit view is what causes the CTD, including changing within the cockpit. I have completed flights only from the default VC view. It takes a lot of discipline.

Update: nope, just tried global terrain view and same problem.

Edited by cwburnett
Update

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

On 4/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, pmb said:

I still have to collect more experience for a final word on this, but my testbed in the Silicon Valley (a sea of houses) still shows it if I set the autogen slider higher than "Medium". It's masked to some extent by trueSky haze, but it's still there.

To quote from a discussion we had this January.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, pmb said:

And honestly, P3D(4.5) inherited a number of annoyances which should have been solved over the last years already, like:

- Either autogen popping or a limited autogen radius

- terrain morphing in mountains with high-resolution mesh

- chewy-gum hills

- floating houses from time to time...

On 1/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, RALF9636 said:

Let me add some more of the immersion-breaking fundamental flaws of P3D:

- rotating 2D clouds

- disappearing and reappearing cloud shadows depending on view angle

- stars filling the sky while the sun is shining brightly

- AI aircraft not separated at all, thus going around all the time, also sometimes getting stuck on taxiways and eventually going poof

- dynamic lighting shining through cockpit walls

- rain that looks like a star trek warp jump

I would love to see P3D V5 have all these flaws finally solved ...

It would be great to have competition. I just struggle to imagine P3D V5 will be such a leap forward. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Did you already have the chance to test if these issues are finally fixed in V5?

I'm definitely having regrets of removing P3D v4.5 and going with P3D v5. I keep getting black screens when changing display settings in flight, or when I try to move my RXP GNS530 to the Emuteq display screen.

I'm unable to have a single successful flight without some video issue taking place. I really hope they come out with a patch soon, as P3D is currently unusable on my end.

I'm running P3D v5 on:

64GB RAM
8GB Nvidia 1070 GTX
i7 7700k CPU @ 4.5Ghz
P3D running on Samsung SSD
All NA Orbx Add-Ons

I'm using low CPU and GPU resource consumption in Task Manager's Performance tab compared to P3D v4.5, but not seeing any benefits to FPS as they are still hovering around 20-23 FPS.

Although some issues were expected, I'm very disappointed in the the inability to perform one flight with a C172.

2 minutes ago, Sea2Sky said:

I'm using low CPU and GPU resource consumption in Task Manager's Performance tab compared to P3D v4.5, but not seeing any benefits to FPS as they are still hovering around 20-23 FPS.

The Task Manager display doesn't seem to give proper values for Prepar3d5. Mine shows a GPU usage of 5% (!) while Prepar3d is properly working and GPU-Z shows 80%.

There are already some threads in the Prepar3d forum on this and Beau Hollis acknowledged it.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=137055

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I've resorted back to V 4.5. I have a 9900k, OC'd to 4.6 and a 2080gtx and having all sort of issues with V5. For example. when I try to fly out of LAX my FPS get choppy, I've lowered all my settings, no AI and still have issues and no idea what is going on. I also have random freezes and CTD's especially when I'm landing.

No doubt V5 has potential but it's going to need a hotfix or two before it's actually flyable.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, pmb said:

The Task Manager display doesn't seem to give proper values for Prepar3d5. Mine shows a GPU usage of 5% (!) while Prepar3d is properly working and GPU-Z shows 80%.

You're absolutely correct, thanks for calling this out. I loaded up Nvidia Inspector and indeed it's showing GPU usage 80-90%+ compared to ~8% in Task Manager.

18 minutes ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

No doubt V5 has potential but it's going to need a hotfix or two before it's actually flyable.

Yea, I agree. It does appear to show promise in regards to performance improvements, but is very buggy and I will have to reluctantly also uninstall P3D v5, and go back to P3D 4.5 until there are P3D v5 updates/hotfixes released to fix a large number of current issues.

"Either autogen popping or a limited autogen radius

- terrain morphing in mountains with high-resolution mesh

- chewy-gum hills

- floating houses from time to time..."

Not sure what chewy-gum hills means but the rest yes. And normal terrain loads in patches with low res textures first which are visibly replaced with higher res textures as you go along. This was almost fixed in 4.5 but now it's almost as bad as FSX again. Lots of VRAM left on my 2080 and FPS locked to 30 but happens with unlimited too.

Lots of other issues too like flashing clouds, missing AI movement, broken textures at airports, roads that lead to nowhere and just disappears or goes right out to the sea, buildings on runways, broken runway and approach lights, cars moving at 30000 ft, sun looks like a tiny little dot, some stars will look like big flashing alien spaceships when bloom setting is increased slightly. The list goes on, it's an impressive list of bugs. Still no CTD for me though.

Edited by NickBo

I haven't seen any of these issues, so I must just be lucky.

14 minutes ago, NickBo said:

- chewy-gum hills

Not sure what chewy-gum hills means but the rest yes.

Chewing-gum (sorry) hills appear on steep (close to vertical) slopes. You can see them (and I saw them) e.g. on FTX Norway fjords, but there are more of them. They are the reason why Frank Dainese had to use a special technique (kind of buildings with mountain textures attached, as far as I understand) when programming e.g. ORBX Monument Valley.

7 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Or you just fly in regions where you avoid them. At FL350 you'll neither discover chewing-gum hills nor morphing mountains, but for me as a virtual Cessna pilot they're all but rare.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

+1

...the same for me (no CTD, no freeze, no choppy and so...), except the glitch of the invisible "wall" shared by many users...

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

On a top down view of Orbx England set in Spring, the green paddocks are almost fluorescent green.

A very bright green. Is there any way to tweak the color palette in v5, or is that where shaders come into it?

T45

Here's another impressive video:

• Like 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

11 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

On a top down view of Orbx England set in Spring, the green paddocks are almost fluorescent green.

A very bright green. Is there any way to tweak the color palette in v5, or is that where shaders come into it?

T45

I think all you can do for now is turn the saturation slider down

I have mine at 0.8 but it will obviously go much lower

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.