Sign in to follow this  
bic

v5 affinitymask

This looks like a fairly good usage I'd say. Having everything pegged at 100% would be a bad scenario. And it also depends what you are doing. Sitting on the tarmac, flying high and fast?

Are you seeing any kind of improvement with affinity mask in place?

I've found with all versions - messing with the affinity induces stutters or other oddities elsewhere. I think these days its best left as is..

• Upvote 1

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

That is not the correct AM value for a 4-core HT enabled cpu. We do not know yet whether there is a benefit in AM in v5. For now I would recommend not using any non-default setting unless you’re willing to try various settings and report back what worked best.

Usually AM is used to disable the usage of excessive amounts of cores so that other addons and utilities can make use of them or to disable the usage of hyper threaded cores (especially for the main rendering thread which in the past did not like to be hyper threaded). On a 4-core cpu the only thing you might want to try is disabling the hyper threaded cores.

Edited by JasonPC

3 hours ago, Evros said:

This looks like a fairly good usage I'd say. Having everything pegged at 100% would be a bad scenario. And it also depends what you are doing. Sitting on the tarmac, flying high and fast?

Are you seeing any kind of improvement with affinity mask in place?

Yes, it was default flight: flying at about 5000 feet and 500 knots

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I'd recommend not messing with any of that in v5. DirectX 12 is much better at handling multiple threads and spreading the load, whilst still being smooth.

I even tried, for experimental purposes, to disable HT via Process Lasso on P3D as I've done so with previous versions. This time, it just caused a ton of stuttering and autogen being really slow to load, while all 6 physical cores were pegged at 100%, struggling to keep up. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I removed affinitymask.  Core0 cranking along at 100%.

I can't seem to import a screenshot, but the other cores are about 60% utilization.

Edited by bic

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

11 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I'd recommend not messing with any of that in v5. DirectX 12 is much better at handling multiple threads and spreading the load, whilst still being smooth.

I even tried, for experimental purposes, to disable HT via Process Lasso on P3D as I've done so with previous versions. This time, it just caused a ton of stuttering and autogen being really slow to load, while all 6 physical cores were pegged at 100%, struggling to keep up. 

So in terms of heat on the CPU we can expect better distribution = more heat and we may have to dial back a little on the freg?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

8 minutes ago, bic said:

I removed affinitymask.  Core0 cranking along at 100%.

I can't seem to import a screenshot, but the other cores are about 60% utilization.

You'll always have a primary core doing the main bulk of the calculations, regardless of application, so that doesn't sound out of place, especially with only a 4 core, which is starting to be a bit long in the tooth. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

So in terms of heat on the CPU we can expect better distribution = more heat and we may have to dial back a little on the freg?

Michael Moe

Hard to say, as it also depends on how hard the workload is, i.e how long each core is crunching on a job and just overall settings. Could mean less heat, if more cores can complete smaller jobs, than a few cores having to do most of it, working in it for a longer time. We'll have to see what the users are reporting over the coming weeks.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

i have strange behavior. P3D V5 is only running on the last 5 Cores. 

I don`t have affinity and dont have anything set in process lasso?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

2 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Michael Moe

That is not how CPU's work. You can have 100% usage but relatively low power consumption. What drives up power consumption, and heat, is size of data sets being processed. Heat distribution doesn't matter much, because if one core spikes and goes out of stability, then system will crash anyway.

And I wouldn't run a system that is not capable of passing proper benchmarks without causing instability. Running a system that is generally unstable is asking for a trouble. But if it works for you then who am I to judge.

• Upvote 1

Good day

I want to know how configure affinity mask with the new alder lake cpu 12900k. 

If steve is there...

Thanks

Frédéric Giraud

15 minutes ago, grandfred29 said:

Good day

I want to know how configure affinity mask with the new alder lake cpu 12900k. 

If steve is there...

Thanks

Sorry, not Steve...

Did you try without affinity mask? What is your experience with this CPU. I assume you overclock it. What frequency can you reach with your CPU?

I'm still on the 9700K bought 2018, running at 4.9 GHz and a RTX 3090 i got this January.

I don't use Affinitymask since v5. Never had a difference with this cpu. All cores are used by the sim.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

no oc with this cpu, it run @ 4.9 but i am not able to tell which core run at this speed. the performance is good, not all setting are set to max. I bought a DDR4 motherboad with a 3090 FE

Frédéric Giraud

47 minutes ago, grandfred29 said:

no oc with this cpu, it run @ 4.9 but i am not able to tell which core run at this speed. the performance is good, not all setting are set to max. I bought a DDR4 motherboad with a 3090 FE

I wonder too, if P3D5 uses all 16 cores. Taskmanager could show it. There are some tools around to see cpu activity.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods