Sign in to follow this  
BigG433

P3Dv5 VR - share your impressions/experiences

My very first impression... WOW! 🤩   Why? 

First off, I run what I would say is for today's standards a very mid-level system.  Yes, I have a 1080 GPU and 32GB ram (but at 1333MHz), and I am running my 8 year old i7-2600k at 3.8GHz.!  And not overclocked.  No 4GHz+ here.  So would I notice anything right off I would think.

Performance - The default setup has FPS locked at 30 so I left it there to see.  Normally, when I lock I would always drop 4-6 frames (those pesky pre-frames?), running something like 22FPS.  But I noticed at Dusseldorf EDDL (only because I just bought the JustSim EDDL), locked at 30!  Ok, so I:

1. maxed out autogen both vegetation and buildings
2. Activated the new clouds
3. Enabled HDR lighting (never do in v4.5)
4. Turned on default AI aircraft to 100% (good framerate eater).
5. Went from 1 x1080 screen to my triple-wide screens
6.  Added Justsim EDDL airport

Even with all these activate the FPS is still locked (and I mean locked) at 30FPS! 

Yes, haven't bogged down the system with a bunch of add-ons but enough for me to see the difference compared to v4.5.  For me, this is a game changer.  I see sunny skies of flight simming ahead 😎

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

34 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

If you have never used it, why are you posting your findings in a “VR - Share Your Experiences” thread??

Because I didn't realize it was a VR thread. 👋

12 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

5. Went from 1 x1080 screen to my triple-wide screens

Are you using VR or not?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

27 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Are you using VR or not?

I am using vr with wmr vr steam for my HP Reverb. It is unusable now in v5. Jittery or a massive input lag. Ultra sharp when keeping your head still but as soon as you move your head jitters again. 

Guys O am still waiting for my pw reset on p3d. Please write in their forum and ask for support. There are much more complaints here as overthere. Those who can post there please do so. I will after I get entrance via a new pw again....

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

"Are you using VR or not? "

I am not using VR.  Closest would be I use TrackIR. 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Still waiting for my password reset from the P3D forum as well...

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

2d for me is really smooth with much higher fps than v4. VR is not usable for me. Using Steam VR with a Valve Index and latest drivers, image in VR jitters really badly and really strains my eyes. Also cloud reflections in water display on one eye and not the other which adds to the discomfort. I too am waiting for a new password on the P3D site so I can post there. I keep monitoring but they haven't even acknowledged a problem with VR yet, saying they haven't seen these effects! I think the flood gates might open on their forum of issues with VR when they get their act together with forum access. 

Core i7 8700K @ 5.0, 2080 Ti FE, 32Gb 3600 RAM, M.2 SSD, Valve Index. 

I'm kind of thankful right now that the server was so jammed up last night or I would have purchased already. I'm only now hearing about the VR problems. Seems strange this works so badly after a really good VR implementation in v4.5.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Here are the results of my v5 VR testing. Yes, I am having the jittery, lagging left eye issue at times. I have reduced it considerably by using SteamVR reprojection set to motionvector and with the in-game frame limit set to 45 (someone else likes 40) since that is half of the 90fps screen rate for the HP Reverb. I do not see any left eye jitter problem with this same PC/GPU/HMD system flying other VR sims - like Aerofly FS2 or DCS or P3Dv4. Hopefully, this is something that the Devs can reproduce and fix because as you say, when I hold my head steady, the VR image is very fluid especially because the framerate performance is quite a bit faster than v4.

Below are the settings that I use for my v4 versus v5 benchmark. My PC is a 9700K@5Ghz, RTX2070 (442.50), 32gb 3200Mhz RAM, HP Reverb.

Conditions:
KMRY + Northern Cal from ORBX   (looks great in VR )

Spring Day @1400 Fair Weather
A321 @10R

Graphics: FXAA=on, AA=4XMSAA. Ani=8x, TexRes=4096, Unlimited
          LOD=Ultra,TessFac=High,Mesh=5m,TexRes=7cm, UseHighResTex,
          Scene Comp=VeryDense, AutoGen=Medium,Veg+Bldg=Normal,DynamicVeg=on
          Water Detail=Low, no Bath, no reflections
          SpecEff=Medium
          HDR=OFF, DynRef=off, LandLights=on
          Shadow qual = Low, Shadow Draw Dist = Low, Casting+Rec = both for Internal and External
          Cloud Draw Dist = 80, Density = Medium, Detail clouds, Vol Fog-on, Det Prec=on, Windshield effects=on
          Traffic - Gen Av=10, Road Veh=10
          VR=single pass
VR (2160x2160x2)   60        85-90    (No Reprojection ) (no Framellimit in P3D )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

If I imagined myself being a bobblehead with a kid flicking the head over and over would explain my experiance in VR.

• Like 1

From the last news.

LM found a cause of problem of left eye flickering. They're working on it!

Fix for VR users soon ! 🍺🍺🍺

Thank you for this very detailed post. I believe we have idea of the cause of the left eye jitter and are working to resolve it. Our rendering is now threaded and happening concurrently with the update of the next frame. It looks like there is a potential for the a new set of poses to be captured after the left eye camera has processed and before the right causing the two cameras to be out of sync. In makes sense that certain combinations of settings and hardware would help mitigate the issue. For example, the render thread can be working while the frame limiter is waiting on the main thread, so limiting the frame rate increases your chance of the render work completing before the left eye update begins. Thanks again for posting these results.

Thx whitav8!

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

same here with the left eye flickering (but has been acknowledged by LM in the mean time according to post above).

In addition, I am seeing the clouds and sky reflection on water in one eye only.

Overall the VR experience was subjectively less smooth than in V4.5 with similar SSA settings, although the fps numbers as displayed with Ctrl-z were higher... 

What FXAA, SSA, anti aliasing settings are you using to get a smooth and flickering free rendering?

My setup : Oculus Rift S, i9 9900K, GTX 1080.

Are hand-controllers visible in VR, as in X-Plane 11, or do you need to use Flyinside again?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

My experience is far better than V4.5

Very smooth and good fps with ORBX Global and LC. LOWI, ESSA, ESGG performs great but still with standard aircraft and no weather add-on

Getting some white flicks in my HP but only in Flytampa EKCH. Just tried Aerosoft LGSK with high settings and no problems.

I have migrated UTLite to work in V5 and seems to work okay, 

I'm using my settings from V4.5 you can find it here

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0q9wRpL0ekx997eBav-B-0TAg#VR_V5

VR Setup in P3D, Stereo Dual in HMD and Mono on monitor

Lets see how it goes once PMDG and QW has made their products compatible with V5

Regards

Claus

System : Varjo Aero,  Intel i9 14900K 5,1 Ghz OC, RTX4090 24 GB, 64 GB RAM, 2 X M2 1TB, FS2020

https://claus34.wixsite.com/737sim

https://flightsim.to/profile/chansen

thanks for sharing your settings...

those who use steam VR : how do you set your setting here ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars