Sign in to follow this  
argosafe

New to X plane

1 hour ago, argosafe said:

Thanks, I was wondering this.  I'm sticking to native for now to learn about xplane.  When 11.5 is ready, I'll revisit add ons.  Although, I will be trying some freeware or low cost items in the meantime.   Also, I'm only downloading native Europe  for now. 

There are also USA vStates with overlays that can be downloaded to test on your system. Check out the XP .org forum.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 hours ago, DJJose said:

Noooooooo!!!

That plugin is a nightmare.😃

That nightmare works pretty well for me and has been for quite some time. The only drawback is that it still relies on the Python2-based Python parser plugin, which is a bit old by now.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

21 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

That nightmare works pretty well for me and has been for quite some time. The only drawback is that it still relies on the Python2-based Python parser plugin, which is a bit old by now.

I was able to get it working years ago, but then when I tried again with 11.41 it was a major PITA so I decided to load my FSGRW. Fortunately, I had a copy that I bought a long time ago. It works great, but I still prefer to refer ASXP because they cost about the same, but ASXP has a few more features.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

One is a must ortho4xp (freeware). Once you installed the orthos on the areas you want to fly, you won't be able to go back to P3D like me (kinda new to XP,  was on FS9, FSX and all P3Ds). Here is some good tutorial to get you started :

Also you don't need to get any payware aircraft at least for the beginning, zibo mod 737 is freeware and close to PMDG level (I know for someone who used to pour money on P3D, I was amazed to find quality stuff for free xD) of course I donated a lot as sign to show support for the developers. 

If you frequently fly in Europe, you will definitely love x-europe https://simheaven.com/ (Freeware). You will find bunch of good quality stuff on x plane org downloads. Enjoy! 

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

4 hours ago, argosafe said:

Thanks, I was wondering this.  I'm sticking to native for now to learn about xplane.  When 11.5 is ready, I'll revisit add ons.  Although, I will be trying some freeware or low cost items in the meantime.   Also, I'm only downloading native Europe  for now. 

I had HD mesh for a couple of years 'til I started getting tight on drive space and recommend it highly - makes the default scenery look a whole lot better.

I have to say, I am impressed with Xplane.  Even out of the box, I'm having a great experience with it.  Was concerned about high GPU usage, but google and a change of settings calmed it down.  Many thanks for all the help I'm receiving too! 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DJJose said:

I was able to get it working years ago, but then when I tried again with 11.41 it was a major PITA so I decided to load my FSGRW. Fortunately, I had a copy that I bought a long time ago. It works great, but I still prefer to refer ASXP because they cost about the same, but ASXP has a few more features.

NOAA is the only alternative to default weather when you're on Linux.

20 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I had HD mesh for a couple of years 'til I started getting tight on drive space and recommend it highly - makes the default scenery look a whole lot better.

You can overwrite the default global scenery files with the ones from HD Mesh. X-Plane will not complain and you'll save a few gigabytes of disk space. As long as you don't try to update the global scenery with the installer, you're golden.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bjoern said:

NOAA is the only alternative to default weather when you're on Linux.

You can overwrite the default global scenery files with the ones from HD Mesh. X-Plane will not complain and you'll save a few gigabytes of disk space. As long as you don't try to update the global scenery with the installer, you're golden.

Is this a simple case of adding the DSF files into the X plane scenery folder?

2 hours ago, argosafe said:

Is this a simple case of adding the DSF files into the X plane scenery folder?

Just copy HDMesh's "Earth Nav Data" folder into "Global Scenery" and overwrite everything et c'est ca.