Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Boy, am I having 2nd thoughts!

Go for it Stan.

If you listened to every comment you would not get up in the morning.

Yes there are some issues at the moment but there is also a lot of drama lama going around too.

The updates to the addons will come soon enough, Orbx are currently in the lead with those. Don't forget it is not a point release but a new sim pretty much.

I have a lot of hardware I cannot use much at the moment as I am waiting for a LINDA workaround or update so its mouse clicks at the moment for me.

Good luck m8

• Like 1

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

I don't get people who are so negative with P3Dv5. To me it looks and performs amazing !

The atmosphere, the lighting, the performance. It's like a dream comes true!

Edited by ComSimPilot
  • Like 6

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

If you bought it no harm in installing it and letting the rest of us know how it works for you 🙂

In order to free up SSD space for this i either have to remove P3Dv4 or X-Plane 11.  So I’m debating waiting until everything smooths out and I can do a complete replacement of v4, or removing X-Plane 11 and running both for a while. 
The patient thing to do would be the former, but my distinct lack of patience may drive me to the latter 🙂. I rarely play xp11 anymore so that wouldn’t be the end of the world for me.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I never had a performance like with V5 on any sim before, locked on 30fps in heavy scenery Orbx Germany Berlin - no stutter at all. Still headroom on vram and running really high settings. I can't understand what people are complaining about. Absolutely surprised and waiting for the fixes to come.

• Like 1

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

22 minutes ago, spilok said:

OK.  Thanks for the comments.  I'll put p3d v5 on my brand new NVMe Samsung 970 card.  I got it today from Amazon.  I'll install the card and put the new program there. I'll keep v4.5 on my regular SSD where's it has been since installation.  I'll delete 4.5 when 5.0 is where I think it should be (after updates and addon updates).

Thanks again.  Keep the comments coming.

Stan

Stan, I believe you are the “Avsimmer most likely to do a complete 180 in the course of a page of posts”. 🙂

(I am also thinking back to your “You will LOVE microsoft flight!” post. Yes, I have a good memory for these things!)

Enjoy v5, it’ll give us all some headaches along the way, but i’m confident that it’s worth it.

Cheers, snd happy v5-ing.

Rob

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Ya know I'm gonna stick with Ver 4.5 for a while yet. I just upgraded to a slightly faster computer and it's working just fine. I may in time go for it as long as I can run both versions on the same system. And when all the bugs have settled down.

Wayne Larsen

37 minutes ago, spilok said:

OK.  Thanks for the comments.  I'll put p3d v5 on my brand new NVMe Samsung 970 card.  I got it today from Amazon.  I'll install the card and put the new program there. I'll keep v4.5 on my regular SSD where's it has been since installation.  I'll delete 4.5 when 5.0 is where I think it should be (after updates and addon updates).

Thanks again.  Keep the comments coming.

Stan

Negative comments are mostly louder than positive comments.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I would recommend an 11gb card. I am seeing upwards of 8gb VRAM being used. Mind you I haven't done any real tuning yet. I just maxed everything out and I am seeing 30fps in VC's with those setting. Not everywhere or all the time but without even measuring I can tell you the performance improvements are huge. I have many P3D V4 setting well trimmed to achieve this performance. Heck I was just testing in ORBX PNW in and around FSDT CYVR (my usual testing haunt) and flying a GA north toward CYSE at about 2000' at dusk with everything maxed out (everything) looking east out over Vancouver I see FPS in the high 20's. Doesn't sound enough but a peculiarity of 4K TV gives me wicked smooth game play in P3D at 24hz. So it seems that I can fly the sim loaded with everything maxed out. I'll post a screen shot.

59 minutes ago, Steve_Ellis said:

Go for it Stan.

If you listened to every comment you would not get up in the morning.

Yes there are some issues at the moment but there is also a lot of drama lama going around too.

The updates to the addons will come soon enough, Orbx are currently in the lead with those. Don't forget it is not a point release but a new sim pretty much.

I have a lot of hardware I cannot use much at the moment as I am waiting for a LINDA workaround or update so its mouse clicks at the moment for me.

Good luck m8

I believe we need FSUIPC 6 installed for LINDA to work, I'm hoping that's all it will take.

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I tried a very simple FPS test, since I can't really try more heavy stuff (my thing are FSL and PMDG).

I still have still 4.5 installed, and sidebyside v5. 4.5 has more addons in it, but nothing really negatively or positively affecting the sim. v5 has only ORBX global stuff installed. Both sims have ORBX LOWI installed too.

Both sims *same* settings (no advanced atmo in v5).

So, sitting in the Mooney at the RWY26 in LOWI, clear weather, unlocked FPS and no VSYNC: 36FPS. Same in v5: FPS47.

My expecatation is to have a decent FPS boost with FSL when it comes out, so that I get over at least 32fps on takeoff (my reference is FT LOWW). Currently dipping to 25fps, and stuttering. With 32fps I can keep it smooth. Looking forward to FLS and testing it out.

Edited by SimonC

We always hear a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth ten minutes after a shiny new sim version appears and is installed on people's PCs. It's always the same. First up everyone is proclaiming that it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, then when they install it they realise that it is at the end of the day, just a flight sim and just a tarted up version of what they already had, and not only that, in being new, it of course won't like some of the stuff they already have. And, being different, it'll take some tweaking and getting used to.

So stand by for a lot of: 'Boo hoo, my Cessna Sexbomb 9000 won't work in it',  and 'Woe is me, my Firebomb XL 10,000 joystick won't calibrate in it, I demand a refund', etc, etc. If people think it'll be any different when the new MS sim releases, all I can say is they've not been flight simming for very long if they imagine that will be any different either. Yup, it's annoying that we'll be waiting a while for some updated installers, and yes, some things won't work initially even if you manually point them at the new sim to install them. But this is nothing new.

Now I'll admit, the colours of the new sim are a bit of a shock when you first see them, it's very saturated and colourful-looking compared to 4, and so right off the bat most people, including me, will be tweaking those. But how is that any different from all the other sims? Normally you can't move for people banging on about this or that shader add-on for their sim. Literally five minutes of faffing with just the brightness and saturation controls in the sim's option had it fairly under control and that was without even looking at the wealth of things I can do with the Radeon control panel for my AMD GPU.

Then you've got people whining about this or that stuttering or slowing FPS or not running at 2000 FPS, and half the time that's because they've not even bothered to tweak the options sliders or select an option they should be selecting. The fact that there are sliders and tick boxes is a bit of a clue as to the fact that you might, and most likely will, have to play with them to get a satisfactory experience, and we all know that most people are going to ram those sliders all so far to the right that they're nearly coming off the screen just to see what their computer can manage, even though they know that the moment they start adding a lot of TPD stuff, little of which has been specifically designed for the new sim and how it handles stuff, it's going to cause potential problems when they keep their options sliders further to the right than Oswald Mosley.

Seriously, just find a nice aeroplane which works in the thing, maybe add a couple of your add-ons which work and chill out people, instead of expecting it to be the cure-all for every sim woe and gripe ever less than 24 hours after it was released.

Because it won't be. Yet. But if we take an intelligent approach to sussing out its particular traits and nuances, we will find it is an improvement. And it already quite clearly is an improvement in terms of FPS.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

56 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

I don't get people who are negative with P3Dv5. To me it looks and performs amazing !

The atmosphere, the lighting, performance. Its a dream come true!

I'm trying not to be negative, but for some of us, v5 won't even run. I'm sure we're in the minority. I just tried again by putting a new SSD in, installing Win 10 1909 fresh, installing fresh video drivers and installing a fresh vanilla copy of P3Dv5.  I left all settings at default, loaded the default scenario and if I change my view I CTD with a graphics driver error.  8GB of VRAM, 9600K processor.

That said, I think that for most users with typical usage (no VR, no home cockpit, etc), sane graphics settings and an NVidia RTX card, it is probably perfectly safe to buy, install and run v5.  I know that AMD GPUs are the minority here and while I have stunning performance in v4.5 (4K VSYNC @ 30hz), v5 just isn't compatible with the newest AMD RX cards.  I'm sure (or at least hopeful) that LM will prioritize solving GPU compatibility problems quickly.

Until then, I'll have to look at the nice new screenies coming from people lucky enough to have gotten v5 up and running with some of their add-ons.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

6 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I'm trying not to be negative, but for some of us, v5 won't even run. I'm sure we're in the minority. I just tried again by putting a new SSD in, installing Win 10 1909 fresh, installing fresh video drivers and installing a fresh vanilla copy of P3Dv5.  I left all settings at default, loaded the default scenario and if I change my view I CTD with a graphics driver error.  8GB of VRAM, 9600K processor.

That said, I think that for most users with typical usage (no VR, no home cockpit, etc), sane graphics settings and an NVidia RTX card, it is probably perfectly safe to buy, install and run v5.  I know that AMD GPUs are the minority here and while I have stunning performance in v4.5 (4K VSYNC @ 30hz), v5 just isn't compatible with the newest AMD RX cards.  I'm sure (or at least hopeful) that LM will prioritize solving GPU compatibility problems quickly.

Until then, I'll have to look at the nice new screenies coming from people lucky enough to have gotten v5 up and running with some of their add-ons.

What are your pc specs.

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

10 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I know that AMD GPUs are the minority here

If you have the Crimson Software installed remove it. If this doesn't work try to use the MS drivers instead of the AMD drivers (delete any AMD software from programs and settings and restart).

AMD GPU software handling is dreadful.. I always remove it because most of the time give me issues with these cards, so personally I always stay away from AMD cards.

S.

3 minutes ago, jimimac said:

What are your pc specs.

I5 9600k (overclocked to 5.1Ghz, but I turned off the OC to test v5)

Radeon RX5700XT w/8GB VRAM (not overclocked)

16GB DDR4-3200 (tried disabling XMP)

1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

I get a stable 30fps with vsync on and 4k screen set to 30hz in P3Dv4.5HF2 with ASP, ASCA, ORBX, Flightbeam, LVFR, FSDT, GSX, etc.  Fly the Maddog, Majestic and AS A330 mostly.

A number of people with the 5700 series cards are all reporting the same problem and LM did respond to the issue on the prepar3d forum saying they're looking into it.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT