I bought Prepar3D V5 and I  

193 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. I bought Prepar3D V5 and I

• am very satisfied with it.
    • am somewhat satified with it
    • wish I had waited for V5.1 or later
    • am looking for a refund

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/18/2020 at 07:00 AM

Please answer the poll question only if you actually purchased Prepar3D V5.

No shenanigans please!

You gotta give it time people. We are one day into a new release. Let the developers get everything updated. Once the wrinkles are ironed out and we get a hold on the new graphics settings I'm sure it will be loved by many.

I can see much potential and improvements in this release. Oh and I did buy it yesterday and am satisfied. Been working on integrating everything I own into v5 that has been updated thus far. 

Edited by PWJT8D
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

FWIW, I returned the first P3D version I bought years ago. Months later as I kept reading about how much pweople liked it I bit the bullet and tried again. This time I took the time to set it up properly and use sane settings. Haven't looked back since. 

I'm sorry but anyone that buys it and returns it the next day - I find that very strange unless they didn't pay attention to hardware requirements.

Vic

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am very encouraged by how well sceneries that used to run like a dog in P3DV4 run in P3DV5. Multiple sceneries I had to strip down to get to run at mediocre levels in V4, now I can run with sliders to the right with no changes from default in V5 at 30 fps solid. I'm sure there will be subsequent fixes that improve on what's in V5. The first version of V4 had issues as well.

• Like 1

I am a little disappointed with the clouds, no mater what setting I have, the clouds look blurry and not like some of the beta videos that have been showing off the clouds. Overall though I am happy, still got vanilla V5 as I am waiting for devs to update payware. Running along side V4.5 HF2.

Brian

🛩️ Brian Houghton

System: P3D V5.3 HF2, Intel i7-9700K o/c to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD, 2x1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, MSI Z390 M/B, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2,Samsung UHD 43" LED TV, Benq 27" HD monitor.

2nd PC: Networked for atc, charts, and streaming. Intel i7 4790k 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 2070 Super, Samsung 970 Evo, 2x sata drives, MSI Z970 M/B, 32Gb G.skills DDR3 Ram, Win 10 Pro 21H2, 2x Benq 27" Monitors

Personally, I think that the Prepar3D Development team worked somewhat of a miracle. Lets face it this is FSX. More of less any FSX addon could be tweaked to run in this. The must have dismantled the entire program and put it back together again modernizing it and yet at the end of that process it ends up being the same program but looks twice as good and runs twice as fast.

I am sure this is actually a staggering accomplishment. I'd hate to think of some of the people who worked on this coming and reading some of the thing that have been said about it in these forums. I think LM have been very good to us casual simmers and I hope that continues.😁

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 4

Haven’t purchased it yet and I’m wondering if the usual p3d textures popping up in the distance is still happening in v5. Also the most important while all add ons and sceneries are installed, how is going to react. Still in previous versions happening night lighting and textures popping up everywhere. My Prepar3D.cfg is already edited as per Rob but still happening.

thank you

Edited by georgiosgiannoukos

3 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

Personally, I think that the Prepar3D Development team worked somewhat of a miracle. Lets face it this is FSX. More of less any FSX addon could be tweaked to run in this. The must have dismantled the entire program and put it back together again modernizing it and yet at the end of that process it ends up being the same program but looks twice as good and runs twice as fast.

I am sure this is actually a staggering accomplishment. I'd hate to think of some of the people who worked on this coming and reading some of the thing that have been said about it in these forums. I think LM have been very good to us casual simmers and I hope that continues.😁

"I'm, right at this moment all about the water...if someone could shoot a video...and show me even if it can be possible...ocean water 'n waves that I saw on the dedicated nVidia WaveWorks site...I'd drop the coin today.  I'd just keep v5, other than Orbx Global, vanilla...and keep v5.0 as my sea plane 'gig'.  So far, I have seen one produced video that is a sight upgrade in visuals to v4.5 water set to Ultra.  But...I CAN use that setting.  With all this about exhausted vRAM...could I use the highest setting for water, including all the support settings...buildings, cloud shadows, topography (mountains, shorelines, etc) and still avoid a vRAM CTD?

That is what I am sniffing around for, still..... What I would need basically is to be able to load in the following ORBX stuff:  PNW  Fjords, Alaska (I can't remember all of the regions, that are basically up and down the West coast..but if I could do that...have most scenery settings to FULL RIGHT,  have the water to FULL RIGHT (whatever that is now called in v5.0) and NOT CTD with a EVGA GTX1070 8GB card....then I'd buy today.   We all have very personal sim parameters...but I have always ran my sims, 'full-feature-rich'.  That is for goodness sakes..what I am paying for...and in v4.5HF2 and XP11.50b3, I can do absolutely that..."

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I'm satisfied. New atmospheric effects are growing on me, performance is better, UI experience seems faster and overall it's a solid upgrade. DirectX 12 is not only a short term decent performance upgrade, it also opens up the possibility of even further performance increases as developers optimize specifically to the API, both LM and addon developers. 

My only complaint, something that also seems shared with a select few beta testers, the build feels rushed. Days before the release candidate, they were still pushing beta builds and adding features. I believe godrays were added last minute. The big sell, TrueSky, is still in beta and has a few shortcomings. VR seems to be a mixed bag for many, lots of crashes and weird stuttering reported etc. even read some testers barely had time to test the last beta build before they released it. Seems like they were just gunning for a deadline. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I like it... after disabling "Enhanced Atmospherics" (I don't like new beta clouds and color filter - not natural at all). Have a better performance for sure. Now I'm waiting for my fav addons to be compatible (NGXu, EZDOK, FS2Crew, Active Sky and REX SkyForce). But I also think it's a rushed release.

Cheers!

Edited by AdiR

Adrian

For people saying they don't like the colors, etc. are you aware you can tweak this via the HDR and Saturation slide bars? move the Saturation to the left and see the changes..

You guys need to explore the available settings so you can adapt the simulator to your own likes and monitor calibration..

S.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3