Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's a good and fast SSD for flight simming/gaming?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You can't go wrong with the Samsung 860 EVO. 

JimE

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

I have a Evo Plus 970 and also the Adata XPG SX8200.  Performance feels almost identical and speeds similar.  The 2nd is far cheaper.  You may want to look into it.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Ive got 2 of the EVO. Samsung is known for their speed and reliability. All of my sims run on them no probs or stutters from loading.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I have a Evo Plus 970 and also the Adata XPG SX8200.  Performance feels almost identical and speeds similar.  The 2nd is far cheaper.  You may want to look into it.  

The difference for me is the proven reliability track record that Samsung have. They may not be the fastest, or the cheapest, but they seem to last the longest in tests.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I've got a 500GB 840 Evo from about 5 years ago and I've got a 1TB 860 Evo - both are still going strong and nearly full haha!  Off I see prices are a little high on the 1TB 860.  Sometimes amazon has a sale I got my 1TB for 120 last winter I think.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You probably won't notice the difference in speed between the various brands and models of SSDs, but there can be a difference in durability.  Samsung has been making SSDs for quite a while and they have developed a reputation for drives that last a long time.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The Samsung PRO is the fastest but double the price of the EVO, A 1TB M.2 PRO SSD in the UK £350.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

The Samsung PRO is the fastest but double the price of the EVO, A 1TB M.2 PRO SSD in the UK £350.

But, as has already been pointed out, most people (in everyday use, at least) will probably not notice the difference between the Pro and non-Pro versions. If you're regularly doing a lot of very disk-intensive work with large files, then the Pro is possibly worth the extra money. I don't need bragging rights, so saving a few seconds during system boot or when loading games doesn't justify the extra expense for me.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

When you can buy a 1TB NVME drive for $100, why spend signficantly more for a name brand?  Samsung has good name recognition, but it's not like they're perfect.  I've only had to RMA 2 SSDs over the years, and 1 of them was a Samsung.  I currently own 6 SSDs, for the record (not counting integrated SSDs in laptops) and they're from several different brands.  Crucial, OCZ, Samsung, Inland (Microcenter), and HP.  No issues with any of them, and they are used heavily, several have been in service for years (oldest is a 2012 model OCZ 512GB Vertex 4).  

2 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

When you can buy a 1TB NVME drive for $100, why spend signficantly more for a name brand?

I think it’s a bit like USB memory sticks. I’ve bought plenty of budget ones over the years but, in most cases, the only ones that still work reliably are the brand name ones. I agree with you that most SSDs should work well enough over the time periods that you’re going to use them but brand name drives do tend to have a proven track record. It depends whether or not that’s more important to you than value.

Edited by vortex681

Are the NVMes much faster?  I mean on paper sure, but like for loading P3D or XP11 or DCS?  Could you tell between nvme and traditional sata?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Are the NVMes much faster?  I mean on paper sure, but like for loading P3D or XP11 or DCS?  Could you tell between nvme and traditional sata?

If it would be noticed I would think it would be for the ones here who have things like MegaScenery earth V4.  Something like that.  I went straight from spinning HD's to NVMe's so I'm the wrong guy to asked since I skipped the first generation solid state HDs.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next