Sign in to follow this  

Fell in love with te Ultralight!

After spending years in heavies (PSS, PMDG, Level-D) and seeing nothing else but panels, overheads and fmc's, I've been flying nothing but the DF Beech A36 ever since that one was released. I alos bought Active Camera with it and started to look outside the plane more often (made the move to VC permanently). Workload was lot less, even though I learned all the ins and outs of the excellent GNS430 (and the SN3308 I also bought and implemented). Still, it was an easier plane to fly. After buying FS X and not being able to fly the A36 I, almost accidently, started a flight with the Ultralight.WOW!I love it!First of all, you can see so much of the scenery! And there is so much to see in FS X! Secondly, it's so extremely easy to fly! But it feels so real! I actually (REALLY) almost got scared of the height I was flying at! This REALLY is as real as it gets! I never ever had this experience when I was flying the heavies (nor the A36). (In the heavies I never ever had the idea I was flying, really...)I think I found my new plane: the Ultralight!BTW I ALWAYS zoom out to 0.40 which is more realistic imho and let's you see more of the scenery AND the 'cockpit'. Is there a way to change this setting permanent?The only thing I do not like is the bar (tube, whatever) you see in the VC wen you load the Ulralight: it is way too simple... Just compare it with the 2D version: was it so hard to make that simple bar a LITTLE more realistic...?Anyway, I love the Ultralight. Were there any Ultralights for FS2004?Will there be (better looking) ones for FS X? Is there a FS sim Ultralight fanbase somewhere...? ;) Are there Ultralight fans on this forum?

yeah its a lot of fun , great for a quick cruize after work, also try the sailplane, man thats just awesome!ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

yeah its a lot of fun , great for a quick cruize after work, also try the sailplane, man thats just awesome!ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Can you start the engine from the VC using the start switch? Mine does not work. I get the hand pointer but no start.The 2D start switch works OK. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest tdragger

Glad you like it. I have to say I was skeptical at first but it definitely grew on me--especially the safari paint scheme.

I am 100% with you. I haven't gotten my retail version yet (due today), but in the demo, I liked it so much I practically forgot to fly the other planes. One 5min shot at the floater (beaver I think?), the mission of the crj and back to the ultraligt.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I decided while looking at screenshots about a month ago that I would fly the Ultralight first. Wow, I can't believe today (after sleep and work, that is) I get to go to Best Buy and pick up my copy. I'm so jazzed that the 50 mile trip seems worth it!Okay guys, lets test Vista's realism: Take off in your ultralight from Cassville, MO (94K) at about 5:30PM CST, and fly over hiway 37 (the north main road) to Monett, then follow hiway sixty from there east-north-east to Springfield. Drop water balloons along the highway. I'll be watching from my car... Oh nevermind, I'm in need of sleep lol. Anyways I am excited! I'm glad you guys are having fun!-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifCurrent system:Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 641 (3.40GHz), Abit AW8D, Gigabyte GeForce 7900GTX (512MB DDR3 PCI-Express x16),Corsair XMS2 Pro 2GB PC2 6400 (DDR2 800), 2 SeaGate Barracuda 250GB hard drives, Sound Blaster X-Fi PlatinumKlipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, NEC 20" CRT, Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2Please note: System specs are for reference in tech forums only and are not to be taken as meaning anything else.Doing so will result in eye-rolling, possible teeth grinding and perhaps mild internal chuckling.Happy Flying!

Guest jboweruk

I agree about the glider, they did an awesome job with thermals and ridge/wave lift. The downside of the ultralight? Try it on a gusty day and try to land in a crosswind, it can be a real moo. I've actually completed 10 out of the 11 tutorials, and already landed a helo on a moving aircraft carrier. Shouldn't have done that yet, but will do tutorial 11 next. After that it's final training tutorials etc. then find me a co-pilot and start flying for an airline.

Me too...ultralight is a gas to fly over traffic...depending on the weather, you can hardly keep up. Looking down seeing the ground thru the holes in the cabin floor gives me a real sense of being there. Bob Bernstein

>Glad you like it. I have to say I was skeptical at first but>it definitely grew on me--especially the safari paint scheme.I did the mission in which you have to find elephants and suddenly noticed, to my surprise, the safari paint scheme! Very nice. ;) Didn't find the elephants though...>The downside of the ultralight?>Try it on a gusty day and try to land in a crosswind, it can>be a real moo.I wouldn't go flying an ultralight IRL under those conditions. So I won't do that in FS X too. ;)As others say ('quick cruize after work'), the Ultralight is perfect for a quick flight, and since I do not have the time (anymore) to spend hours on a flight, this one is perfect for me. But ha, even if I HAD the time...! :) You are up in the air in no time and you really FLY! It's awesome. Pardon my over-enthousiasm, but I'm just so happy with it. ;) I'm at work right now and when I think about tonight, when I will go flying again, I feel as if I'm REALLY going to fly tonight! Awesome! :)I did give the glider a try too (completed the tutorial with the 7 gates) and also quit liked it, but you have to pay attention to and focus on the wind and so on too much (to my liking anyway). The Ultralight can get me everywhere without problems. ;)

J, try to follow the directions given and don

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Great post! Thanks! I'll change it as soon as I come home tonight!

Thx, I'll give it another try. I think I missed the elephants because I didn't pay enugh attention to the instructions. I was having to much fun exploring things. ;)