Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

An apology / Backtracking / Wow

Hello, So, I have persevered. Actually, I was watching aviationlads website and noticed they had a similar spec to my PC, and the results they were getting were outstanding. So, I followed their V5 settings, and tweaked them a bit to my liking. I got to understand all of the options better too whilst at it. 

Now I have P3DV5 running like Vulkan on XP11, butter smooth!  This is with a 35" Acer predator curved widescreen with G-Sync enabled and 100hz. No tearing or stuttering is present now, not even over major cities like Paris or London. My average FPS is around 60-70, drops to about 40 over major cities when I stress test it, to leave room for addons.. DX12, well its good! Providing you have modern hardware. 

I have the new Truesky active, and its looks really really good, and my 2080ti has headroom to play with too! 

I am impressed. I am so impressed I just spent 450 AUD at ORBX to spice it up! Including the Chase plane add-on for better immersion with my trackIR. 

So, yes, P3DV5 to me is really really good, and I look forward to adding aircraft and scenery now. I have always wanted seasons, and wet runway looks and good weather (coming from X-Plane) however for me P3Dv4 was always poor performance. Old and outdated. Now with P3DV5 on DX12, this is GOOD! I only WISH they would make it easier for newcomers and explain the settings more. Some better documentation would be nice. 

Also, the aircraft (although I have only tried the ones included so far) seem to have better characteristics than previous versions, I did have V2 way back...

Two questions I do have left:-

1.) How do I map keys to my alpha flight controls? I can't seem to find an assignment for Avionics bus 1 and 2 nor taxi lights? 

2.) Anyone else getting flickering ground shadows from vegetation? 

Ill attach some pics of my settings in case anyone is wondering, and also my spec is below:-

https://ibb.co/1rKmhJC
https://ibb.co/gmGTtbk
https://ibb.co/kBL4xrw

SPEC

32GB DDR4 2400 RAM

35" acer predator curved widescreen 100hz / 27" viewsonic monitor for charts

9900KS @ 5GHZ

RTX 2080Ti 11GB

Sim shakers Buttkicker 

Alpha flight controls

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That's great news that you finally have it running buttery-smooth!

Sorry, I'm not able to answer your questions, but I've been reading most of the P3Dv5 threads here so I remember the issues you were having. Can you explain what settings you changed to get such an improvement? It must have been something very subtle because if I recall correctly, it didn't seem like you had anything configured wrong. At least not enough for others here to notice.

I'm probably going to make the switch to v5 this weekend and I also have a 2080ti with G-Sync monitor (actually 2). I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I start installing.

• Like 1

Just now, Fer de Lance said:

That's great news that you finally have it running buttery-smooth!

Sorry, I'm not able to answer your questions, but I've been reading most of the P3Dv5 threads here so I remember the issues you were having. Can you explain what settings you changed to get such an improvement? It must have been something very subtle because if I recall correctly, it didn't seem like you had anything configured wrong. At least not enough for others here to notice.

I'm probably going to make the switch to v5 this weekend and I also have a 2080ti with G-Sync monitor (actually 2). I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I start installing.

I dialled a few settings back (pictures above of my settings) and I turned on Vsync with triple buffering, and locked frames at 100, same as my refresh rate. 
I also added affinity mask of 85 to the cfg, although I’m still trying different settings with that one. 85 was/is smooth! 
I am running the new dynamic clouds at max, and even with overcast weather, doesn’t really hit the FPS much! The 2080ti is a beast. My gpu memory usage is around 5-7gb, so plenty of overhead too..... 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I dialled a few settings back (pictures above of my settings) and I turned on Vsync with triple buffering, and locked frames at 100, same as my refresh rate. 
I also added affinity mask of 85 to the cfg, although I’m still trying different settings with that one. 85 was/is smooth! 
I am running the new dynamic clouds at max, and even with overcast weather, doesn’t really hit the FPS much! The 2080ti is a beast. My gpu memory usage is around 5-7gb, so plenty of overhead too..... 

Thank you. So encouraging. I'm excited!

Funny thing is I've only had the 2080ti for a couple of weeks now. I picked it up for gaming and XP11 on my 4K television...never expected there would be a new version of P3D that would take advantage of it as well. What timing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Hello, So, I have persevered. Actually, I was watching aviationlads website and noticed they had a similar spec to my PC, and the results they were getting were outstanding. So, I followed their V5 settings, and tweaked them a bit to my liking. I got to understand all of the options better too whilst at it. 

Now I have P3DV5 running like Vulkan on XP11, butter smooth!  This is with a 35" Acer predator curved widescreen with G-Sync enabled and 100hz. No tearing or stuttering is present now, not even over major cities like Paris or London. My average FPS is around 60-70, drops to about 40 over major cities when I stress test it, to leave room for addons.. DX12, well its good! Providing you have modern hardware. 

I have the new Truesky active, and its looks really really good, and my 2080ti has headroom to play with too! 

I am impressed. I am so impressed I just spent 450 AUD at ORBX to spice it up! Including the Chase plane add-on for better immersion with my trackIR. 

So, yes, P3DV5 to me is really really good, and I look forward to adding aircraft and scenery now. I have always wanted seasons, and wet runway looks and good weather (coming from X-Plane) however for me P3Dv4 was always poor performance. Old and outdated. Now with P3DV5 on DX12, this is GOOD! I only WISH they would make it easier for newcomers and explain the settings more. Some better documentation would be nice. 

Also, the aircraft (although I have only tried the ones included so far) seem to have better characteristics than previous versions, I did have V2 way back...

Two questions I do have left:-

1.) How do I map keys to my alpha flight controls? I can't seem to find an assignment for Avionics bus 1 and 2 nor taxi lights? 

2.) Anyone else getting flickering ground shadows from vegetation? 

Ill attach some pics of my settings in case anyone is wondering, and also my spec is below:-

https://ibb.co/1rKmhJC
https://ibb.co/gmGTtbk
https://ibb.co/kBL4xrw

SPEC

32GB DDR4 2400 RAM

35" acer predator curved widescreen 100hz / 27" viewsonic monitor for charts

9900KS @ 5GHZ

RTX 2080Ti 11GB

Sim shakers Buttkicker 

Alpha flight controls

Flickering vegetation...yes...so I only have SimOjbects and My aircraft as reflector generators, ..and on the water, the surface now looks magnificent. You won't have any of that black 'ripple' effect...try it.  SimObjects means that boats, docks cars, trucks,will reflect upon the surface, and you won't even miss that the mountain doesn't jut out 1  mile into the water...where you lose surface detail anyways...:)  I now have my copy giving me solid 30's and truly spectacular screen visuals.

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Did you have them mapped using the honeycomb app previously? If so did you try connecting it with v5? I haven't tried mine yet but I will after I land. Don't want to induce a CTD 😉

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Smooth is good but has anyone noticed the colors are washed out?

spacer.png

Okay I added the Alpha Flight Controls Yoke Control to v5.

I had an entry in my c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3d v4\add-ons.cfg

For the alpha flight control bridge module

Copy that entry and paste it into the add-ons.cfg file in the v5 program data folder, but renumber the package number to the lowest available number. If the file is empty, make it package.0

Now when you activate a profile it will work in v5.

5 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Crank up the saturation? 

HZv7zEg.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cwburnett said:

Okay I added the Alpha Flight Controls Yoke Control to v5.

I had an entry in my c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3d v4\add-ons.cfg

For the alpha flight control bridge module

Copy that entry and paste it into the add-ons.cfg file in the v5 program data folder, but renumber the package number to the lowest available number. If the file is empty, make it package.0

Now when you activate a profile it will work in v5.

Wait, I never installed anything for honeycomb? I had it running in default xp11, but I’ve never installed any software for it. I will look in to that ASAP 

8 hours ago, Boomer said:

Stock shaders, I didn't expect they hit my taste. Did you expect that? 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Stock shaders, I didn't expect they hit my taste. Did you expect that? 

At the risk of sounding stupid, what can I do about that?  What addons?

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Boomer said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, what can I do about that?  What addons?

For a first step you can adjust the sliders in the lighting setup. For further adjustments you have to wait for the shader Addons. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I noted also flickering trees and also mountain ridge when observed from ground only and when cloud are present low. RTX2080 and i tried all settings in the interface 2, 4, 8x.

Overall very pleased with this version. I was playing yesterday with up to 5 cloud layers and still getting high FPS with A2A Cherookee and Flight1GTN 750.

• Like 1

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...