Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Final take..."P3D v5 and stuffed with Orbx ....."

I think I found one little thing slowing down the start up screen. v5 starts off with the map on the main form.

Click 'change airport'. Just above the top of the map are icons for 'Show/hide Airports', 'Show/hide VORs', 'Show/hide NBSs', etc.. I deselected everything except for airports and it seems to make transitions in and out of both the startup screen and the airport selection screen much quicker. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

REX Skyforce 3D seems to work just fine! Just installed Cloud Textures without Errors! But need more testing!

2020-4-18-15-43-4-290.jpg

56 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I preface this response by stating that I have yet to take the plunge re V5, but I am wondering whether access and startup times could be improved by disabling scenery areas considered irrelevant to your proposed current flight. Perhaps Lorby’s AO tool would help in this respect by defining a configuration outside the sim before starting a session. This worked in V4.

Mike

I do this all the time in P3Dv4, but I enable/disable everything directly in the Scenery Library.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sunrise is pretty good too!

K100iip.jpgAn

And these clouds are really fantastic...

GK09Ry3.jpg

Edited by cwburnett

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

On 4/17/2020 at 2:45 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

I am NOT using, nor will I use the Atmos Beta feature. It darkens the water, kills FPS, and dulls the entire sim down.  If they work on it...and massage it, over a few sub releases, I'll revisit then. But not running it by no means detracts from the sim...by no means! 🙂

Mitch

I have literally the exact opposite opinion. lol

To me, if you aren't running TruSKy than you are missing out on one of the MAJOR upgrades to P3D. IMO, v5 looks like a slightly brighter, better running v4.5 without it, and nothing more. I can't say it's worth the upgrade cost at all without TruSky enabled. However, with TruSky enabled the sky and clouds look amazing. I still very much feel we need Activesky though for the weather and whatnot.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Taken from a post on Reddit. Here is v5 with TruSky enabled:

Post image

That + the performance increase makes v5 an upgrade.

Keep in mind this is without Activesky or anything else. 

Edited by Arklight1
  • Like 5

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

1 minute ago, Arklight1 said:

I have literally the exact opposite opinion. lol

To me, if you aren't running TruSKy than you are missing out on one of the MAJOR upgrades to P3D. IMO, v5 looks like a slightly brighter, better running v4.5 without it, and nothing more. I can't say it's worth the upgrade cost at all without TruSky enabled. However, with TruSky enabled the sky and clouds look amazing. I still very much feel we need Activesky though for the weather and whatnot.

Yup, and with it enabled it’s pushing the work to the GPU. So, with really bad weather it’s not touching my FPS using a 2080ti. 
If I switch it off with bad weather, I immediately drop 10-15fps as it appears the work is shifted back to the cpu. I could be wrong. But that’s how it appears to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yup, and with it enabled it’s pushing the work to the GPU. So, with really bad weather it’s not touching my FPS using a 2080ti. 
If I switch it off with bad weather, I immediately drop 10-15fps as it appears the work is shifted back to the cpu. I could be wrong. But that’s how it appears to me. 

Yep!!

• Like 1

Ark

2 hours ago, Saunameister said:

2020-4-18-21-50-1-716.jpg

just wow! the lightning at evening is awesome!

Dang...THAT LOOKS GOOD! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yup, and with it enabled it’s pushing the work to the GPU.

Yes, and what I noticed on my system is that after a while my GPU fans start getting louder. It seems to me that TruSky is overloading/overheating the GPU.

Anybody else?  

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Just make sure, everyone who's sidelined TrueSky now to check it out everytime they issue an update. Because volumetric clouds are undoubtedly the future. No way am I going back to 2D textures. Those fluff balls are dense.des.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

42 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Just make sure, everyone who's sidelined TrueSky now to check it out everytime they issue an update. Because volumetric clouds are undoubtedly the future. No way am I going back to 2D textures. Those fluff balls are dense.des.png

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! I totally agree and cannot fly without truesky active. It really makes a whole world of difference.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 hours ago, killthespam said:

Yes, and what I noticed on my system is that after a while my GPU fans start getting louder. It seems to me that TruSky is overloading/overheating the GPU.

Anybody else?  

I find that when I kick on the Atmos Beta..I ramp up to around 5.9 GB out of my 6.7 on my GTX1070 8GB card.  I think that at that...I'd be heading for a vRAM OOM episode.  When I get one of your Big Boys...then I can revisit it...or by v51-3, L.M. might have optimized that feature to use less GPU load in...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! I totally agree and cannot fly without truesky active. It really makes a whole world of difference.

Can you share your settings for to generate that scene?  I'd actually like to try it, right to a vRAM CTD..if I get it...but it would be fun to try it out..TO GET THAT!   I think this would give my 1070 8GB a stroke...!

Edited by Sesquashtoo