Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Saitek Radio and Switch Panel

Another thing that I'm noticing.  Just started P3D.  Same issue as above where the radio panel stayed blank.  Tried to unplug and then replug the radio panel.  It immediately crashed P3D saying chaseplane detected an error.  It said it would put a log file on my desktop, but it didn't.  Anybody else?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

not really interested in that but thanks.  It seems that this is an intermittent issue at this point.  I'm not able to consistently replicate.  Since chaseplane had a recent update and this error specifically mentioned chaseplane I'm leaning that way in terms of the cause. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 4/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, Gabshall said:

exe.xml to edit is in User\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

i dont have the above exe to edit in p3d v5?

another option for you is to try the FSRadioPanel which is all of the saitek panels rolled into one app.  The pro version is a small charge but it's all I use now with my samsung tablet.  I have two of the panels sitting collecting dust now. Also, you do not need to worry about profiles using the app. It has a simple server connection exe, you turn on the app and boom, you are good to go.

Edited by ywg256

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

On 4/18/2020 at 12:59 AM, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Has anyone found a way to have the Saitek/Logitech Radio and switch panel working with V5 or is this just a waiting game for the drivers?

Yes but with SPAD NEXT. No any issue with this software. Im using it from long period and it was very well done spent money for full fersion from many years for v4 and now for v5.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

With Spad Next I have a lot of profiles for my planes where I can use the upper controls for radios, nav, adf, etc, and lower side for bearing, course, altitude, squack, vs, also dimmers, whatever Lvar values you get you can assign to your saitek radio panel. In fact I don’t need the other saitek panel for the mcp function. I love it, and I can use it with xplane too, aerofly, and so.

@asustech Open Notepad and paste the following into the document. Save it as exe.xml (or change the suffix afterwards). Place it in your appdata/roaming/Lockheed martin/prepar3d v5/ folder.

Make sure the path to your Logitech drivers is correct.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>
            <Name>Logitech Plugin for Prepar3D</Name>
            <Disabled>False</Disabled>
            <Path>C:\Program Files\Logitech\Prepar3D V4 Plugin\LogiPrepar3D.exe</Path>
            <CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>
        </Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

Have been using the multipanel with Spad.Next for a few years. Not being knowledgeable in programing profiles was only interested to use the panel in its default state, by that I mean it will work as indicated on the knobs and lever, so looked in the online profiles inside the software for 737 and 747 profiles. Out of all the published profiles for these aircraft found only 2, one is the 737 by c0nnex and the other the one by Ulrich51 for the PMDG 747 QOTS II . Recently and since updating P3Dv4.5 to the latest hotfix the 747 profile stopped working correctly, you can twiddle the buttons and it will alter the items on the MCP but the display doesn't work and gives strange readings. I have posted this on the Spad.Next forum but responses tend to take some time or not at all. There are many profiles for this aircraft as far as I know bar the above,  they have all been tweaked to achieve different results and won't work in default state. Ulrich 51 is the owner and developer of Spad.Next. Hope you find what you seek for your panels.

Just for some balanced experience...

You really only need something like spad.next (yes, I have a license for that and have used it extensively in the past, not using it now though) if you want to configure your panels to work exactly like the designated switch in the sim for all of your aircraft.  For this it is invaluable, but takes a learning curve and is not always perfect either.  Also, when there are updates to P3D you can have issues with compatibility which requires timely updates from the developer.  It does take some time to learn how to use and is not simply "plug and play,"  but if duplicating the precise behavior of switches or if you are building a cockpit, it is definitely useful.

If you just want to get the panels working for most aircraft with most functionality, then you do not need spad.next or anything like that... the method of installing the Saitek drivers and plug-in and then updating the exe.xml to point to the plug-in is perfectly functional for v5.  I just accept that certain aircraft I can't replicate all functions perfectly - for example, the BAT and ALT switches often don't work for the A2A birds (they use different variables in the sim than the ones hardcoded for the Saitek switches), so I just use the mouse and flip those in the VC.  But I'm OK with that, because 90% of the functionality is there.

(By the way, that is not a V5 limitation only... the Saitek panels have always been this way).

My biggest need is to tune the radios, because trying to do that in the VC with the mouse is a pain...  and for all but the most sophisticated airliners the Saitek plug-in works just fine to give you full ability to tune the radios from the radio panel.

So summary - if you are looking for being able to program and customize the switch functions to your liking you will need a program like spad.next, but if you just want to "get it working" that solution is not necessary and may lead to frustration; v4 plug-in and editing the exe.xml will get them working just fine.

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

On 4/23/2020 at 11:02 AM, micstatic said:

Another thing that I'm noticing.  Just started P3D.  Same issue as above where the radio panel stayed blank.  Tried to unplug and then replug the radio panel.  It immediately crashed P3D saying chaseplane detected an error.  It said it would put a log file on my desktop, but it didn't.  Anybody else?

I don't know if you are still experiencing this issue, but many times losing the radio panel illumination is a USB power management issue in Windows (the Chaseplane crash might have just been a concidence) and you may need to disable USB power management for those USB hubs in order to fix that.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

I'll throw in my 2 cents.  Purchased SPADnext several years ago but found it too complicated for me to use so I shelved it.  Too bad for me as I have all the Logitech/Saitek panels.  Then about the time P3Dv4 came out I finally decided to give 'er another go.  A lot had changed in the development of the app and now things seemed to look and make more sense.

Just to get the basics there is some great little vids on YouTube that gave me the "ah-ha" moment on how to set up a button/axis.  I was now bouncing around setting up all sorts of switches.  Plus lot's of Profiles already created by other simmers to get you started.

I customized my BIP to my liking and had an extra radio panel so I converted it to show FPS, Elevation, Altitude and my Speed.  Never could do this before with other apps plus its fun to set it up the way you like to fly.  Currently using it with P3Dv5 HF1.  Obviously I am sold on the product and highly recommend it.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit