Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Prepar3D V5 Waves for anyone interested

Hark! Here be Monsters!

I don't know how much foam there would be in ocean swell with a 200knt wind. But I am guessing those are 100' waves?

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 3

That looks more like the monster from the movie The Blob.

• Like 2

What I notice most is the VERY thin and SINGLE layer of clouds (with a morphing speed that exceeds Jupiter's cloud characteristics) that are supposed to be TS. 😒

Edited by pracines
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pracines said:

What I notice most is the VERY thin and SINGLE layer of clouds (with a morphing speed that exceeds Jupiter's cloud characteristics) that are supposed to be TS. 😒

I set it to a single layer and I think I set it to 3/8, thunderstorm and from about 3000' to 23000'. In fairness I also set the wind speed to 200 knots so the clouds are quite animated and its beta!😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

I set it to a single layer and I think I set it to 3/8, thunderstorm and from about 3000' to 23000'. In fairness I also set the wind speed to 200 knots so the clouds are quite animated and its beta!😁

Thanks for the clarification.:smile: 

Oh gawd...can’t you guys stay on topic and stop bashing v5 for just a minute?

It’s a post about waves - if you don’t like them, that’s fair game. But a thread filled with snarky comments about vRAM and the clouds in a wave video (??? seriously).

v5 has just been released, of course it’s not perfect but it’s lot of fun to fly - that’s all i’ve been doing since Tuesday. From reading Avsim comments, one would think that it’s a trainwreck, which it isn’t. It’s a good initial release that has some great new features that will mature during the upcoming versions of the sim.

As for the waves - under normal use they look far better than anything i’ve seen in a flight sim before. The p3d v5 water is one of the main reasons i’d choose this over XP11 or AFS2, both of which have boring oceans. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As an old salt I’d say that was a fair attempt at rough seas in a flight simulator, at 200mph probably not rough enough! there was this one time I was sailing ‘round the Cape.....🤐

• Like 1

As an other old salt, I've seen 70' waves in the Atlantic with a lot less than 200 mph winds.

David Porrett

I wish they have parametrized WaveWorks appropriately so that we get these in the simulator, wish are looking much better IMHO:

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks to the OP for posting the video.

I'm sorry to be negative, but those waves look horrible.  Hopefully LM will improve that in future releases.

I've seen a number of P3Dv5 videos and screenshots lately that frankly don't look much different than v4.5.  I'm sure the overall performance is better due to DX12, but my v4.5 runs great so I see no need to jump on the v5 bandwagon just yet.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

14 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

I don't know how much foam there would be in ocean swell with a 200knt wind. But I am guessing those are 100' waves?

From the video, the wave movement looks promising, and a good starting point for further development, although the foam looks like they added too much washing up liquid.

I'm curious about the bright flashes every 2 or 3 seconds. What would be causing them?

John B

Yeah I wrote it in other topics about my first not amused impressions. They really did a poor implementation on this waveworks 2.0 feature. They can be so good looking. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

14 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Wow can't wait to see this right before I run out of VRAM

Ultra quality water uses about 0.1 GB of VRAM from my testing.

But I mean depending on how often you're near the water, you really don't need it that high.

Edited by Tuskin38