Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Just Wow!

5 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Which leaves people like me in a pickle. .. I won't spend $1000 on any computer component and no way would I fly it on an xbox cause a flying couch "breaks the immersion"

So what exactly would be “the pickle”..? Sounds to me like you don’t want to spend money to upgrade or use another platform. There’s no pickle, it’s simply what you choose...

2 hours ago, David Mills said:

I don't think I'd be breaking an NDA by simply pointing out that my own rig is a real piece of junk compared to the hardware that most of you are using. I don't even remember what year it was when I purchased the system. And even back then, it was by no means top-of-the-line. All I can say is that I am extremely excited about the new sim. And all of you should be too. Don't be discouraged by people who, by their own admission, have no hands-on experience with the sim.

Impossible, David.  I'm told by several AVSIM board members that this sim is more of a game than simulator, it will take a 'super computer' to run, it won't work without high-speed internet, add-on aicraft won't be ready for months/years, and my personal favorite, Microsoft will abandoned it like they did Flight; forget about the prior three decades of service they provided to the community. IMO, the opposition to a cutting edge simulator is perplexing; although, I suspect it has to do with the thousands of dollars we have invested in our current simulators (e.g. P3D/Xplane).  If this as good as advertised, you can imagine a massive market shift, which will render the current platforms/ecosystem obsolete; after all, we all know the developers follow the market.  It appears some people want to perpetuate the current system of buying a bland base sim and filling with outdated software.  The current paradigm is just ridiculous; in order to get your P3D V5 simulators to acceptable appearance levels, you have to load FTX Global, plus hundreds/thousands of dollars of other add-ons.  Concerning the former, said software is almost a decade old; so, you're buying a new sim to fill with an application(s) compiled a decade ago!?  Yet, a significant amount of board members seem to want more of the same; I guess some people just hate change and MSFS  represents a significant change...

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Matt King

7 hours ago, Captain747 said:

Like I said...an expensive rig will be needed

eSj9FSr.jpg

The point of the post you quoted is that the new sim can be optimized really well.. Especially DLSS 2.0, if it gets implemented it basically means we'll get higher fps and a sharper picture with less aliasing.

3 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

So what exactly would be “the pickle”..? Sounds to me like you don’t want to spend money to upgrade or use another platform. There’s no pickle, it’s simply what you choose...

I choose to keep the system that I have and pay off the $22,000 septic tank replacement this year, unless you have another $2500 I can borrow lol

Choice could also be something else other than flightsims. Like um life

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Impossible, David.  I'm told by several AVSIM board members that this sim is more of a game than simulator, it will take a 'super computer' to run, it won't work without high-speed internet, add-on aicraft won't be ready for months/years, and my personal favorite, Microsoft will abandoned it like they did Flight; forget about the prior three decades of service they provided to the community. IMO, the opposition to a cutting edge simulator is perplexing; although, I suspect it has to do with the thousands of dollars we have invested in our current simulators (e.g. P3D/Xplane).  If this as good as advertised, you can imagine a massive market shift, which will render the current platforms/ecosystem obsolete; after all, we all know the developers follow the market.  It appears some people want to perpetuate the current system of buying a bland base sim and filling with outdated software.  The current paradigm is just ridiculous; in order to get your P3D V5 simulators to acceptable appearance levels, you have to load FTX Global, plus hundreds/thousands of dollars of other add-ons.  Concerning the former, said software is almost a decade old; so, you're buying a new sim to fill with an application(s) compiled a decade ago!?  Yet, a significant amount of board members seem to want more of the same; I guess some people just hate change and MSFS  represents a significant change...

I don’t honestly remember anybody from the Avsim board saying this. The only person I can think of making these bilious comments is Rob Ainscough, self proclaimed software engineer and 3d artist, who was a mod here and at the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d support forum some years ago. I don’t think that he speaks on behalf of Avsim and, for all that matters,  I suppose that the v5 release fiasco will not help to make him more credible 😂

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I don’t honestly remember anybody from the Avsim board saying this. The only person I can think of making these bilious comments is Rob Ainscough, self proclaimed software engineer and 3d artist, who was a mod here and at the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d support forum some years ago. I don’t think that he speaks on behalf of Avsim and, for all that matters,  I suppose that the v5 release fiasco will not help to make him more credible 😂

Is this another attempt to drive Rob off Avsim again and leave the floor to you. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

22 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Is this another attempt to drive Rob off Avsim again and leave the floor to you. 

You are soooo perceptive 🤣 ! You make my day here, we need a little laugh in these dire times !

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 4/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, Casualcas said:

I choose to keep the system that I have and pay off the $22,000 septic tank replacement this year, unless you have another $2500 I can borrow lol

Choice could also be something else other than flightsims. Like um life

Exactly, you are the one choosing. A pickle is when you are forced to do something with no choice... 🤷🏻‍♂️

58 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Exactly, you are the one choosing. A pickle is when you are forced to do something with no choice... 🤷🏻‍♂️

What's the meaning of the phrase 'In a pickle'?

In a quandary or some other difficult position.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

2 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

What's the meaning of the phrase 'In a pickle'?

In a quandary or some other difficult position.

right, so what’s his difficult position, when he is clearly hinting he would rather choose several other things other than update his rig..?

On 4/19/2020 at 5:52 PM, kingm56 said:

Impossible, David.  I'm told by several AVSIM board members that this sim is more of a game than simulator, it will take a 'super computer' to run, it won't work without high-speed internet, add-on aicraft won't be ready for months/years, 

I’d be interested to know who these several Avsim board members are that you speak of? I’m on the board and I didn’t say anything to that effect which only leaves a few other guys and I don’t recall any of the others saying anything to that effect as well.

If you’re talking about Rob, he’s not on the board, but since you said several, that still leaves others.

Please clarify otherwise you’re making false accusations.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

right, so what’s his difficult position, when he is clearly hinting he would rather choose several other things other than update his rig..?

And when you are done taking me to school, look up figuratively 

14 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’d be interested to know who these several Avsim board members are that you speak of? I’m on the board and I didn’t say anything to that effect which only leaves a few other guys and I don’t recall any of the others saying anything to that effect as well.

If you’re talking about Rob, he’s not on the board, but since you said several, that still leaves others.

Please clarify otherwise you’re making false accusations.

In this context, board members referrers to individuals who have registered to become a member of this community; it was not meant to include those in a leadership capacity. Concerning the latter, i believe the team has been pleasantly neutral on the subject.  Moreover, I don't think it's necessary "to name names" as it could be seen as a form of chastizaiton, which was not my aim... 

Matt King