Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Real Air GPS Fuzzy in v5

Hello, I have an issue where the GPS in the Real Air Legacy and Turbine Duke are fuzzy/blurry/low resolution in v5, pic below.

hMCYtYg.jpg

This applies to the GTN750 and also the default GPS (GNS500?).  It doesn't happen in v4.5 with RealAir products, nor does it happen in v5 with any other aircraft that I've found so far.

Any ideas?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi,

I have no idea but just to ensure other readers will not be confusing which is which: this is not the Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch (you can see the horrible banding in the grey gradient at the bottom of the screen which you don't have with the RXP 32-bits color gauge technology).

To help you out though, it is either a problem in the VC entry in the panel.cfg file (see what 'resolution' it is configured for), or, a bug in the gauge not being able to detect the actual resolution it is displayed at (which I doubt).

Here is the information needed for the panel.cfg file:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/panels_and_user_interface/panels/panel_configuration_files.html#windowXX and vcockpitXX

Look for explanations on:

[VCockpit##]
size_mm=
pixel_size=

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

update: I've played around and you only have to really change pixel_size.

If it is for example 512,512 then just double it to 1024,1024.

I've just compared and it seems to me 512,512 in P3D4 look the same as 512,512 in P3D5 with the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks for the help Jean-Luc.  The pixel size was set to 1024, 1024.  I upped it to 2048, 2048 and the GPS is now readable. 

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Is the low resolution of panels also affecting other aircraft in your sim? The gps in my A2A Comanche is showing a low res image. This is also happening on the default AC-11. Just wondering if this is a general problem?

Quite possible, I loaded up the feelthere ejets v3 and the MFD is blurry though in a bit of a different way, i haven’t tried this fix yet.  

Edited by regis9
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Also check the "Mipmap panels" setting in P3DV5 Graphics, it should be off.

Bert

55 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That fixed the slightly fuzzy panels I was getting in the NGXu. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

it should be off.

IMHO it is much better with MipMap ON especially when looking at EFIS screens and highly contrasted line drawings because otherwise, whenever you're moving the head, the displays are jittering (aliasing).

When I've compared P3D4 and P3D5 both were rendering the same with the same pixel_size.

Worth noting: if you enable mip mapping, you enter the LOD territory. It is a factor which is computed from the relative texture size on screen (to keep it simple in my explanations). At 0, it uses the texture to its fullest (level0), at 1 it uses the 1st mipmap level1 (¼ of the texture), at 2 it uses the 2nd mipmap level2 (1/4th of level1) etc...

In between, it interpolates between mipmap levels (at LOD=1.5 it takes 50% of level1 and 50% of level2).

It is possible to bias the value in the 3D code (inside the simulator), in the shaders (inside the sim) and in the Nvidia Control P'anel (don't know for AMD).

It is also possible to bias negatively which in turn makes textures 'shaper' but with 'aliasing'.

In the Nvidia control panel there is "Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias" setting to control this and in my tests it is set to 'clamp' which I guess is not allowing bias values less than 0.

I'm wondering whether P3D5 might be using a wrong LOD value for texture lookup which makes the gauges looking more 'blurry' than before then.

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Thanks Bert, this seems to help for the moment. But as far as I remember I've never unclicked it in v 4.5. If RXPs assumptions is correct LM should fix it in a further update or hotfix.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

40 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Thanks Bert, this seems to help for the moment. But as far as I remember I've never unclicked it in v 4.5. If RXPs assumptions is correct LM should fix it in a further update or hotfix.

For the moment, this is as good as we've got..  :cool:

Bert

I had the same in the Majestic Q400.

setting COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1 under [Graphics] in prepar3d.cfg seemed to help.

@F16_Driver this most likely is for the polygon details, not the texture.

To all, after a few days searching around, I've finally found the setting to change in:

C:\Users\<logon>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.cfg

[PANELS]
VIRTUAL_COCKPIT_TEXTURES_SCALE = 2

Set it to the value 2 and it would have the global effect equivalent to doubling the pixel_size in each [VCockpit] in each panel.cfg. You'd most likely won't have to set it to more than 4.

Now why is it you have different resolution between P3D4 and P3D5?

Most likely you changed it and you don't remember (so long ago), or an add-on, did it for you so that you have a 'wow' effect the first time you run it...

• Like 1

Another factor is the "Gauge Dust" effect setting in the RealAir config app.

It looked believable in 4.5. but needs to be turned off in V5.  Try it! :happy:

https://imgur.com/a/pXGkdlt

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert