Sign in to follow this  
ntydk

Turn your Saitek TPM into Hall Effect version?

Hi to all,

I am working on an enhanced Hall Effect HE upgrade kit (with reverse function solved) for Saitek PS2 or USB

TPM (throttle quadrant). I am also curious how many of you would like to upgrade the OEM potentiometers in

your throttle quadrant into a Hall Effect sensors.

This will benefit those who have suffered from the unstable or defective potentiometers without dumping the

Saitek TPM box with a good controller board into the trash can.  Per some Simflyers wishes to hold on to their USB

Saitek  TPM after replacing the bad potentiometers as a good temporary solution with the new honeycomb yoke

before purchase the honeycomb TPM unit.

In my opinion ( I am not an expert though) the Saitek does have a good design and value in sim gear for

beginner, except the notorious bad potentiometer reliability.   I realized the Saitek new  USB TPM price is

become expensive compare to 5 five years ago, but still affordable than other TPM products.

For many years before 2019 I was in the same position as other with a terrible "jitter" nightmare and frustration  

in my Saitek PS2 and USB TPM due to their old age. My new developing HE kit saves my Saitek TPM from going

into the recycle bin.

However in my HE design, you still need reasonable basic DIY skill in taking the TPM apart, removing the OEM

lever and the defective potentiometer then install the HE components (new lever and HE sensor) back by

yourself. That means you will do this with your own risk and void all remaining quarantee of your flight gear

offered by Saitek/Logitech.

I have some left over parts for a couple more set of HE upgrade. Just want to recapture my total cost of this
development for materials and tools. Later I will make an instruction video on Youtube for my HE kit upgrade to share.
Please let me know how you think with clicking the thumb up or down icons or leaving me an constructive comments.

Thanks for your attention.

• Upvote 4

Hello,

I have the Saitek throttle quadrants (3)

and for the most part am happy with them. However, I would be very interested in upgrading the quadrants. Please let me know what would be involved. 

Thank You

JEdwards

Thanks for your interested and response..

I think a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

This is exactly what you will be facing in this challenge. 🙂

Here is the link of the photo on YouTube.

Brief description of the process:

1) Remove the old magazine from the box.

2) Open up the magazine and discard the old lever and potentiometer.

3) Install the HE components as shown in picture.

4) Install the reverse switch not shown here.

5) Connecting wires. 6) Assemble magazine back to box.

Done

Thanks !

Edited by ntydk
add more information

Norman,

I would be very interested in this.  At the moment I have 3 x USB throttle quadrants and I woud no be looking at either doing your upgrade (I am extremely happy with the Yoke hall sensor pack you gave me) or waiting for the new Honeycomb throttle quadrant. Given the interest and reviews of the Honeycomb yoke I would be leaning this way at the moment.

Talk me into your version as I have never taken a throttle quadrant apart.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello himmelhorse,

Very glad to hear from you again. 

It is so encouraging to learn the yoke HE upgrade that you have is meeting your expectation.

That means all my efforts in HE upgrade projects are well pay off. 🙂

For the TPM HE upgrade, I will publish the whole installation process later on youtube.

It should be a long and good one (might break it down into 3 separate video sessions) to show you every single step from start to finish in completing this process.

Hope it will not bore you to death.

The major point is no soldering is needed. Just plug and play sort of.

Of course I will be available to help if you have questions.

Talk to you later.

Take care of yourself.

Hi ntydk. I bought your hall-effect upgrade for my Saitek yoke and it has worked flawlessly. I 'll certainly be interested in the TPM HE upgrade

Aussibob.

aussibob1,

Thanks for your confidence and support in me.

Hope this TPM HE upgrade will make a perfect companion with your upgraded Saitek Yoke.

Just updated the progress in testing the HE throttle quadrant.

Please see new post below:
"Saitek USB/PS2 Throttle Quadrant HE sensor is working"

i would be interested. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Hi to all,

Really appreciated your supports.

Here is the new post in this forum for my completed project.

"Saitek Throttle Quadrant TQ HE Sensors Upgrade Installation"

The video mentioned in this post will answer the questions about how to accomplish the HE upgrade conversion process.

Thanks !

Hi to  ntydk and all, 

i have the same problems with my saitek throttles , i use in my Airbus Homecockpit, so i would like

to upgrade also.

perhaps  you may give me a information of HE sensor part , i have to buy and suppliers

and thank you for your diy video to change  potis to HE

greetings from germany

Peter

Peter,

The Saitek Throttle Quadrants TQ HE kit  is a DIY kit.

I have the kit for sale. I am located in USA.

However a basic electronic knowledge and soldering skill is required to upgrade the TQ to HE version.

If interested please contact me at "ntydkhe@yahoo.com".

Edited by ntydk
add more information