Sign in to follow this  
Casualcas

Emergency! Blow out!

I made a departure from Timika Papua, very uneventful as the weather was fairly good, and I was able to climb above some clouds at 5k along the south edge of the mountain range. About half way to Wamena, a tire blew out at 6 thousand feet. Um did I run over a nail?  Doubt it

Who blows out a tire at 6 thousand feet? 

It is possible. Mexicana Flight 940 was destroyed approximately 15 minutes after it took off when a tire in the main landing gear bay blew. The tire had been filled with compressed air instead of nitrogen, but also part of the cause was the hot and high take off from Mexico City, which meant the tire got very hot from a long take off roll. Additionally it is believed there was a fault with the brake causing it to bind a little bit, the friction from this made the wheel hotter than it would normally be. When the landing gear was quickly retracted after take off in order  to reduce drag in the hot and high temps, this meant the heat from the tire and brake was trapped in the landing gear well with nowhere to vent off to. Eventually the tire gave way and exploded, severing control lines and causing a fire. The aeroplane - a Boeing 727 - crashed soon after, killing all on board.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Casualcas said:

I made a departure from Timika Papua, very uneventful as the weather was fairly good, and I was able to climb above some clouds at 5k along the south edge of the mountain range. About half way to Wamena, a tire blew out at 6 thousand feet. Um did I run over a nail?  Doubt it

Who blows out a tire at 6 thousand feet? 

What aircraft were you flying?