Sign in to follow this  
captain420

ultrawide vs 4k tv for flight simming/gaming

I have been using a 55" 4k TV as my computer display but plan on getting a 49" ultrawide, plus is looks much better on my desk. What do you guys think about using an ultrawide vs a 4k TV for flight simming?

I use P3D, X-Plane 11 and soon to be MSFS 2020.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just cover the top of your 4K TV screen with i.e. manuals, keyboard hotkeys printouts and you have a  49+ wide screen.

Can't be better or cheaper:)

• Like 1

Expect a bit better performance than 4k because of less pixels to push.

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

What do you guys think about using an ultrawide vs a 4k TV for flight simming?

A poor second-best, I'd say. The two will be about the same width but the ultrawide will be massively thinner in the vertical. Like someone else said, it's like taking the 4K and covering most of it up. Okay, the resolution will be better but if that's a deal-breaker you'd be better off with a smaller 4K screen.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I had an LG 34UM65 ultra-wide for a while and switched to a 4k TV because I liked it so much better.  The problem I had with the ultra-wide was that while it did give me some nice horizontal peripheral vision, the aspect ratio meant I had a harder time seeing the instruments.  Plus the fish-eye effect made it feel like I was sitting in the jump seat rather than the pilot's seat.

Scott Easley

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

A poor second-best, I'd say. The two will be about the same width but the ultrawide will be massively thinner in the vertical. Like someone else said, it's like taking the 4K and covering most of it up. Okay, the resolution will be better but if that's a deal-breaker you'd be better off with a smaller 4K screen.

Yeah, that's true too and I did think of that. I think I'll keep my 4K TV afterall for flight simming. 🙂

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The 4K TV solution is best IMO.

You can always make you flightsim window look like a 49 ultrawide screen on a 55 4K TV. In addition you will have free window space for other utilities windows like Navigraps or other apps.

1 hour ago, seasley said:

Plus the fish-eye effect made it feel like I was sitting in the jump seat rather than the pilot's seat.

I was with you until that part. The 4K and ultrawide will have the same distortion. Unless you zoom out further, which is probably what you did for the ultra-wide.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

4k TV is the best option.  Horizontal screen real estate is nice for peripheral vision, but vertical screen real estate is where it's at for virtual cockpits of complex aircraft.  

• Like 1

I would not recommend the 49" as others have stated you loose too much vertical image. If you get an ultrawide look at the 38" it has 1600 lines vertical and works great for flightsims.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 5/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, mattdebrugha said:

Hey all, while on this topic... Would this be any good? https://www.zkelectronics.com/tv/samsung-ue50ru7100kxxu/uk/ its sitting back in my flat doing nothing and wondering if it'd be of use rather than getting a Gaming monitor for FSX/MSFS2020...

Looking to buy a 2070 Super to drive it.

Cheers 😄

My only concern is the lower refresh rate of 50hz. This is usually 60hz minimum. And samsung already are not the best with fast motion. Not saying this is a bad choice, maybe there are others that can chime in.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

5 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

My only concern is the lower refresh rate of 50hz. This is usually 60hz minimum. And samsung already are not the best with fast motion. Not saying this is a bad choice, maybe there are others that can chime in.

Yeah I did see that... No harm in giving it a try I guess - can always sell it! Would there be any benefit of the AMD Freesync option it comes with?