Sign in to follow this  
MM

Cape Town and Environs

Cape Town and Environs

This is a sightseeing flight in light aircraft. We aim to enjoy one of the world's most beautiful urban settings. Departing from Cape Town International, the route takes us through the Cape Winelands to the east, then back over Table Mountain to circle over the City. It heads south down the Cape Peninsula to the Cape of Good Hope before returning to Cape Town International.

At Cape Town International [FACT], we begin our morning at the FBO for ExecuJet Cape Town (parking Gates 49-51 at the southern end of the main runway) and fly to Fisantekraal [FAFK], a former Air Force Base and now the favorite flight school training airfield in the Cape Town area. After a brief stop we hop northward to the dirt strip at Diemerskraal Airfield [FADI]. This is a farmstead in the northern Winelands with accommodations for organized festivities, including weddings. The friendly folks at Whip-Air Aviation are willing to service our aircraft.

We head south over Paarl [PAARL] which, with 191,000 people, is the second largest city in the region. This is the commercial capital of the Cape Winelands and the headquarters of the area's major wine and fruit companies. Just to the west lies Paarl Rock, a huge granite formation which is sometimes compared with Australia's Uluru for its dramatic prominence. (This is now a Mecca for rock climbers. For many years it was ignored as the sheer faces proved impossible for casual climbers. With modern techniques, the difficult, dangerous, and beautiful routes now attract the best climbers of today.)

Turning east, we follow the N1 highway which ultimately leads to Johannesburg. We climb over the Drakenstein Range (under which runs the Huguenot Tunnel) through the Du Toitskloof Pass and then on to Worcester Airfield [FAWC]. Surrounded by mountains, the local area became famous for its orchards and vineyards, and especially for its brandy. The airfield hosts both the Worcester Flying Club (with a Zenith!) and the Cape Gliding Club (
in action here).

Turning South, we skirt the massive Stettyn's mountain range to reach the Threewaterskloof dam and reservoir [3WATR]. The Western Cape water supply system depends primarily on rainfall and the Threewaterskloof is the key to its success. It was the severe lack of rain in 2017-2018 and reservoir's drop to
critical levels that caused the dangerous water shortages of that summer. While saved by rainfall, it looks to take several years before the Threewaterskloof will reach full capacity.

Curling back northwest, we cross over the Hottentots Holland mountains into Franschhoek [FRANK] (the French Corner), the valley into which 200 Huguenots fled religious persecution in the late seventeenth century. The French families established farms and then vineyards. In the last thirty years, this once sleepy valley has boomed to become the "food and wine capital" of South Africa.

We land at Stellenbosch [FASH]. This was the second "city" of South Africa and after its seventeenth century founding it soon became the first home of the South African wine industry. It remains a primary center for viticulture and viticulture research. The Mediterranean climate and range of light sandy soils prove ideal for the cultivation of interesting fine wines. And the historic Stellenbosch wine route offers 150 tasting rooms in its role as a successful wine tourism magnet.

The Stellenbosch Flying Club has fostered local training and private aviation. In fact, its bar and restaurant have become a regional favorite. (You can see the facility at midfield.) A good spot for Saturday
morning fly-in breakfast.

We take off and head west over the international airport to approach Table Mountain, the iconic landmark overlooking the city of Cape Town. Some breath-taking views here. It is likely illegal, surely unwise, and practicably impossible to attempt at touch-and-go or to land on the rocky flat-topped mountain. (If you approach slowly and look closely at the flightplan, you will see Table Mountain waypoints [TM_1 TM_2] that mark the spot where this activity would be illegal, unwise, and impossible.)

We continue on to descend over Table Bay to land at Robben Island [AX78]. This was a prison island until 1996 at the end of apartheid. Nelson Mandela was a political prisoner here for 18 of his 27 years in captivity. He was later awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace and elected president of South Africa. (Two other political prisoners of Robben Island have since been elected president.) As a living museum, Robben Island is now a World Heritage Site and popular tourist destination.

Returning to the mainland, passing the Cal-Tex refinery [CALTX], we land at Ysterplaat Air Force Base [FAYP]. The 100-year-old airfield was long the center of the South African Air Force's maritime patrols along the Atlantic (think Avro Shackletons and now helicopters). While threatened by budget restrictions, the base continues in operation. The SAAF Museum remains at Ysterplaat and hosts Saturday morning tours.

Taking off to the south and curling along the waterfront, we get a closer look at Cape Town and its harbor. Near the railroad station, you might notice the "Castle of Good Hope" [CASTL], an exquisitely restored Dutch fort from the founding days. And out at Green Point [GREEN], you can see the (old) Cape Town Stadium. We travel down the western side of the Cape Peninsula, passing over the Cape Town suburbs of Hout Bay [HOUT] and Kommetjie [KOMTJ]. Then along the wild coast lines of the protected Cape Peninsula National Park.

We (optionally) land at Maclear Beach [MB1-MB2] to enjoy the sights at the Cape of Good Hope. ([This is a low-and-slow non-airport landing. You should give this a try before Saturday's flight because the details of approach and landing will depend on the combination of landclass and mesh that you are using. Multiple tests of different configurations indicated there was always a flat spot of beach or nearby grass that allows a safe landing.]

Then back into the air, we round the Cape of Good Hope [HOPE] and the more striking Cape Point [POINT] to turn northwards. We proceed up the rugged coastline on False Bay (so named because sailors from the east often mistook this for Table Bay a bit further along). We pass over Boulders Beach [BOLDR], home to a colony of the endangered
African penguin. And then Simon's Town Naval Base [NAVY] which is now used by the South African Navy but was more famous historically as the Royal Navy's key station at this globally strategic location. We pass by Fish Hoek [FISH], a touristy suburb. Finally, we land back at Cape Town International (FACT) and gather at the ExecuJet FBO for our morning barbeque.

"The Cape Peninsula is one of the world's most beautiful areas, and flying around it should be on the bucket list of any aviator." To get a feel for the real thing, you might glance quickly at the long uncut Flying a Cessna around the Cape Peninsula (1:14:06).

Documentation
The flightplan can be found here.

Aircraft
The route is 222nm. We shall slow down and enjoy GA aircraft with modest speeds, say of 110-120kts. Favorites might include a Zenith, Scout, C170, C172, C182, Navion, Cherokee or a Comanche. Of course, you should fly whatever you like. I shall take the A2A Cessna 172 in the colors of VH-SRK.

Scenery
The flight looks best with the payware Orbx African Landclass & Mesh scenery package. In order to have all the airports you will need to install two scenery packages, one from Aeroworx and the second a collection from Jacques Botha and Frits Beyer and Simon Smeiman. If you don't have the Orbx package, you might want to use the South Africa landclass from Aeroworx. And you if you have no mesh, you might like the Aeroworx mesh for the region. Watch your email inbox for details.

Time and Weather
For takeoff on Saturday, set the simulator at 6:30am local. We prefer to fly real weather. If necessary, a good alternate weather would be April 18, 2020 at 6:30am local, 0430 UTC.

Particulars
Date and time: April 25, 2020. 1800 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest version is
here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked
 here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

A++

EDIT: Have another +

EDIT 2: Nelson who?

Edited by Ron Attwood

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Indeed Mike - very well done sir!! and the embedded video links to real nice videos of the area! Kudos and thank-you for these pre-birds-eye views.

Norm

Interesting video. Amazingly, South African traffic drives on the left too. We are not alone! :smile:

Colonial hangover, as does Australia and New Zealand, and for some odd reason so does Japan.

Enjoyed the video,and it made me feel quite nostalgic. I was born and raised in Cape Town, and the Athlone power Station which was mentioned as a

turning point, was where I served part of my engineering apprenticeship, when i was there, it had 2 cooling towers, but I see they are now missing.

Cheers

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

Neil come join our flight and be available as our tour guide! The flight time might be a problem...unless you like flying in the wee-hours.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hi Steven, would love to, but i'm afraid I need my beauty sleep, and judging by what I see in the mirror, lots of it.😴

Take care,

Cheers

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

Best to you Neil, and stay well!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Cape Town Long Form Videos

Here are some longer form videos for those with plenty of time.

Cape Town, Table Mountain and the Cape Peninsula, South Africa in 4K Ultra HD. (10:21)
Crisp and sometimes stunning imagery.

Cape Town and Surroundings HD – South Africa Travel Chanel 24. (36:45)
Leisurely old-style travel documentary.

Beautiful Cape Town, Beaches, Cape Peninsula, Cape Winelands and More 2020. (3:16)
More richly-colored music video than documentary.

Cape Town South Africa Cinematic Drone Shots. (7:38)
Splendid drone video with some spectacular images.

Drone. Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Cape Town Winelands 2018. (13:08)
More relaxed amateur views of touring the Winelands. (I found it charming, but tastes do vary.)

• Like 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

great videos mike , 

brought back memories of when we toured the cape ,including a four day & night tour by steam train along the garden route.

bye the way the cable car up to table mountain is swiss made & rotates 360 degrees on the way up,so that everyone gets a good view.

regards.

Things are looking good for African flights. Considering this was, apart from some add-on scenery, 'out of the box' from Orbx, Africa can only get better. A pleasant evening was had by all.....Except Josh (beset with gremlins) oh and Norm (beset with 'I can't see Ronitis') and me, who couldn't find enough to moan about.

Congratulations to Jeff, just married to a nice new PSU. I hope you'll be very happy together.

I loved the story of Roger's visit to Cape Town. He didn't have to dress down, in fact muggers gave HIM money as his goatskin coat sunk to new depths even for those poor buggers! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some screenshots from yesterday's fantastic flight are available here.
Way too many of myself in Ron's excellent paint.. Need to be more attentive. :wacko:

Mike,

Thanks so much for setting this all up - the scenery, write up & all the video links.
Provided hours of  enjoyment / information well beyond the flight itself. ))

• Like 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

13 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

Way too many of myself in Ron's excellent paint

I agree. About two too many. :smile:

1 hour ago, spokes2112 said:

Some screenshots from yesterday's fantastic flight are available here.
Way too many of myself in Ron's excellent paint.. Need to be more attentive. :wacko:

That looks much better than my flight with everyone in a Cherokee... Note to self:

I do have the a2a C182 installed in V5, so why did it not show up in JoinFS?

Time for another model scan :happy:

Bert