Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

THE X BOX 360 COULD THIS BE THE FUTURE?

So in essence what your saying Jwenting is do away with Flight Simulator altogether since pushing it over to XBOX would be disastrous and allocate all those resources to mindless games that work well for the huge selling XBOX 360 (there's alway a threat of that anyway, please don't rush the idea)... :-(XBOX would bring to light how boring of a game Flight Simulator really is (you virtually have nothing to do but fly the default aircraft 'without real world logos mind you' and look around at scenery). Without the add-on market Flight Simulator would get killed next to games like HALO. You

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Microsoft had nothing to do with the survey. Please, no conspiracy threories please. I simply wanted to ge a poll up and running to test our news software on and the X-Box questions seemed to be the topic dejur. That's all. Pure and simple.

Guest beana51

Hi dilloll0, Please be aware I too share your concern.At first I thinkdenial sets in,soon anxiety,followed by anger."Kill the messinger" All the emotions of tension,and uncertainty.The inability to effect stability,or receive info regarding change is frustrating.I may be all wrong,but no one anywhere in the industry has expressed any concern to date. Your correct,a multi-million dollar industry hangs on this.We know they are not stupid,they must have some concern regarding the development and schedule of a new FS, which will send the signal we seek.Like Christmas is here!I would think they would be alarmed far more than we,as to the now great silence coming out of MS.But ,again I have not seen or read any thing concrete .Rumors,hearsay,optimistic conjecture,ridicule,annoyance , all just won't answer the question.Again ,I appeal those in the know,those at MS,if you have any valid information regarding these valid inquiry's, inform the concerned simmers who take this seriously. Other wise were just beating our gums,listening to ourselves talk,we, who apparently don't know anything,and really are accomplishing nothing. The thought of my FS9 disks,joining my forgotten LPs,and 45s is unsettling. Reminds me of "Mice and Men, George can I pet the furry rabbits?sure ya can Lenny,over there,see them? then a bullet in his head" The info regarding NVIDIAs new drivers don't even mention its effects on FS. I may be wrong,but I don'see it. There great for all the games.Like Doom,Call of Duty 2,Sniper Elite,and many others. My favorite of course is "Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse" Seems to me ,like I suggested before,Ya gotta follow the money.They,Them,may have done so already. I think I'll sit back and wait now,enough.If you and I could move a boulder an inch,then we could move it a mile,BUT if the #### thing don't move, then "ITS BEYOND OUR CONTROL" "DA TURKEY CALLS, GOBBLE GOBBLE" don't know what he is Happy about! ENJOY THE HOLIDAY VIN

As others have said the enthusiasts who frequent these forurm represnt a very very small proportion of Microsoft's target market. If Microsoft decides it can maximise its revenue by switching FS to XBOX then that's what it's likely to do.It isn't in the business serving the needs of a small minority nor of supporting add-on suppliers. We might wish it were but reality is reality.

Guest beana51

Thank you tom,how skillfully the questions are posed.The preliminary results already indicate,to me ,the course they will pursue.It would be the smart move. Our FS9,as I often felt is but a default starter kit for all that many of us have enhanced.In doing so, a camp following industry grew around it.We became the tail that wagged the industries effort to satisfy our need for Superior equipment.That is good.It may continue.So much talent out there,who will continue to seek outlets for their work.Be it free,or for cost,it will continue.It may be Bill Lyons is on to something.His Golden Wings concept is appealing,I am sure his fertile mind will not be idle. I had already conceded this with my last post. The survey rekindled one more comment.Some of the lads are very passionate in their obviously love of the great FS9,and serous simming in general. I would like to be optimistic,the Ole clich

Guest jayman426

I was just talking about this today. I got my Xbox 360 on Tuesday.First thing to correct is the Xbox 360 is more powerful than most of our pc's right now. Just go look at the specs. Second thing is you now have a market place on Xbox live that any user can access through a internet connection. You can have freeware or payware dowloads on the market place. Just like right now. Also you can connect your xbox 360 to a pc to get other items off a pc. Third Xbox 360 uses usb ports for controller connections. So with the right driver/setup you could have everything you have now from CH products. There are a lot different age ranges that own Xbox or any game system for that matter. I know alot of people between 30-45 years old that game. I would like it to come out on the Xbox no more fooling with the graphic settings.

There is no way that the next version of FS can come out on XBOX360 and is it for the simple fact that my current FS9 setup is 22GB, the XBOX360 has a HDD of 20GB. It also has "just" 512MB of RAM, so forget about highly-detailed clouds and terrain.PERIPHERALSI haven't read anywhere that the XBOX360 will ever have a keyboard or support for the current joysticks, thrust controllers, pedals or yokes and there are no announcements whatsoever that this is even planned. The development cycle for a new peripheral is at least 2 years. We haven't seen any announcement from renowned manufacturer like Thrustmaster, Saitek, CH Products, etc. By the time it hit the stores, your XBOX360 would collect dust and you would play on the XBOX-XX. Without the support of peripherals, any flight simulator will be merely a "game" - unless you want to fly with the rubber controller!?DEVELOPERS/DISTRIBUTIONHow to plan flights? With the controller? What about add-on developers and publishers? Do you think they can come up with a complete new distribution within a few months? Or that out of the blue a new mega-developer will port all of your beloved add-ons to the XBOX? The development of some FS9 add-ons is well beyond 2 years - by the time your XBOX360 is already in the trash.ANNOUNCEMENTDon't you think MS would have made an announcement, at least to the developers, that they can start developing for the XBOX? Most developers for the XBOX360 launch games started developing at least a year ago. There is an entire chain of suppliers that feed off FS9, without them any new FS version for the XBOX360 would be doomed to fail.XBOX360 DEVELOPMENTWhat about an XBOX development kit? I can't seem to find any, so I could not even start developing a game or any add-on for ANY game.PORTABILITY/PATCHESWhat about portability between XBOX versions? What about backups? What, if your HDD crashes? The XBOX360 HDD is merely designed as a medium to save games progress, updates/patches, pictures and music. And even 20GB is really not that much, considering there are a lot of patches for PC games with far exceed the 20GB mark.Why do people think that a program as complex as FS with so many add-ons would work just fine on a $399 gamebox, compared to a $2500 computer?CONCLUSIONJust imagine FS9 without all the add-ons! No PMDG, Level-D or PSS, no traffic, no online ATC, no scenery, no airports, no realistic weather. *shudder*This entire discussion is ridiculous - really... It almost angers me. I really hope that Tom really just wanted to test his new poll script. ;-)I am not saying that there will NEVER be a flight simulator for a gaming console, but definitely not now or in the next 2 years.Pat

Did the survey get taken down? I get a screen saying no surveys currently available.Jim

Guest Lobaeux4

Here's a poll question: How many that are absolutely against flight sim showing up on XBox 360, actually own or have seen a 360?Not many I'd bet. Otherwise the ignorance (although that word is not meant harshly at all) of the 360 wouldn't be so apparent.First off, the technology of the 360 far outstrips what my flight sim computer contains. If my computer can run MSFS with the add-ons I've got, I'm quite confident that 360 can, and easily.Second, who wouldn't want MSFS in high definition with 5.1 surround sound? Who wouldn't want MSFS to have the same gorgeous visuals that are seen on the 360? I've been playing Madden 06 on 360, and when you can see the sweat, yes the sweat!, on the players faces, and recognise individual players by their faces it's incredible. Visually, computers right now just can't compete with the 360, why would anyone not want their flight sim experience to look this good?Third, add-ons to MSFS would NOT be hard or impossible to put on 360. XBox Live is well suited to downloads, from Microsoft obviously, but it probably wouldn't be hard for add-on developers to have their wares available through XBox Live. Also, I know you can hook up thumb drives to the USB port, and although I've read that USB hard drives haven't yet been enabled, there's no reason to think they wouldn't be in the near future. It's true that the 360 Standard version comes with 'only' a 20GB hard drive, but there's already an announced 40GB drive in the near future, and if anyone's flight sim is over 40GB's, well there's something wrong with the size of those files then anyways. Plus, 360 plays .mp3's so while FS9 doesn't, there's no reason to think a 360 version wouldn't. WMV's are one of the biggest file hogs for flight sim, so you'd save some space there.Finally, controllers. The 360 comes with USB ports. Let me reiterate, the 360 comes with USB ports. That obviously means that USB controllers, including keyboards, and I'm sure CH products would work. And to think that just because it's Microsoft, that controllers from MS will be incredibly expensive is just rubbish. How many of you use Microsoft mouses or keyboards? I do, and I don't remember getting 'raped' over the price of these, so just arbitrarily thinking that MS is going to overcharge for XBox-approved controllers is ridiculous. Last time I looked, the 360, even after the extra controller I bought is over $1000 less than my desktop computer. Oh, one other thing. Just because you'd be using XBox 360, doesn't require that you use it in the living room on your widescreen tv. There is of course VGA cables available that allow the 360 to be plugged into computer monitors, so the argument against consoles becuase they're tied to tv's is not valid.If I had MSFS for XBox in my office, it'd be under the desk just like my computer, I'd never even know it was a computer or XBox, I'd just put the flight sim disk in the disk drive, and flight sim would fire right up. Remember guys, the 360 is still very new, developers haven't even begun to stretch what this thing can do.Embrace the ability of these consoles (I'm including the Playstation 3, it'll be pretty advanced as well), don't dismiss them out of hand because the most visible games are shoot-em-ups.

It's obvious that people think this survery means that FS is going X box only...rofl.They also don't understand that having FS on X Box AS WELL AS PC could mean a alot more people in our hobby and strengthen it 10 fold, no 50 fold....no 1 million fold.Maybe I'm just an optimist, but there's always 2 sides to every coin.I think that quite a few X Box users would probably be more apt to buy the PC version after using the console version also. the console version might be a good way to break them in.That means more people in the forums and more flexibility for the developers financially to create add-ons, etc., alot faster. You see the domino effect here?I would also like to see more people involved in FS because I think it will also translate down into real world general aviation. This is an area that really needs some revitalization in a big way. FS can really help in this area, mainly by having many more people getting involved in this hobby and GA in general. We really need to take back the GA sector and get it going strong again. 9-11 really did a number on flying in general. I think that people are actually afraid to even go to the airport anymmore. Enough on that piece.That's my bit on this subject.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest byoung

But if the X-BOX 360 version of FS10 kicks butt on what it provides as far as Hi Definition, surround sound,and overall performance (NO STUTTERING) who would want to have a PC version? You usually end up spending at least $200 - $400 on a good graphics card alone. Not to mention more RAM and larger hard drive, etc.If the FS10 is optimized for the X-Box 360 hardware, you probably won't need more than 512 MB RAM and 3.2 GHZ processor. You don't have to go to your living room to run FS, monitor/ TV technology have been progressing (much more than the PC side) and becoming more cheaper as time goes on. So when you can get a 36 inch screen that in High Definition will blow you away, probably for a little more than 21 inch LCD, then ! Who knows, what time and technology will bring. All I know, is that I don't want a resource intensive Operating System like XP sitting on top of FS. If the XBox 360 gaming consoles bring efficient and specialized operating environment, then that is where FS 10 belongs. Only time and comparison will tell. The only negative thing I can think of is FS add-on support. But the add-on industry is made up of very intelligent people and I am sure they will figure a way to get their add-ons to the X-BOX version for FS (Microsoft, I hope will provide those hooks).There is one possible alternative.... Stay with FS 2004. Until the add-ons for the X-Box 360 version get developed. I just think people want to hold on to their nitch, mainly because of confort level. But I think if the X-Box 360 version comes out and it lives up to what hype, then we should all be in AWE. And if it doesn't, then we have a great environment with FS 2004. We just all buy FX-57 AMDs and set those sliders to the RIGHT!Barry

Well, first of all I'm sure there would be a reason to go to PC just like there is now, namely the level of detail and expandability. It's going to come down to how it's marketed. Who knows.Second of all, I don't think that development or porting stuff over to the X Box would be that big of a deal once everything hits. There will be a break in period, but I don't think it will be a long one.You can still run your PC to a Hi-Def TV if needed. I also think that the homebuilt cockpit arena would greatly expand and become more turnkey as well as less expensive but needing PC's to drive them. This is probably the biggest area that I see the FS arena developing bigger and better. I see alot more users actually using single seat devices or even full length panel set ups with Hi-Def TV/Monitors especially with the prices coming down. There seems to be a big push right now in this homebuilt pit area with things becoming more plug and play. This alone adds a whole new fun factor and realism factor to FS.I'm sure the add-on industry will also get more simple and easier to use with the new version even if it is only released on PC. We're seeing alot of this already with FS9. The products we have now are reaching their height in terms of quality, etc. There's just a few issues left to iron out from what I can see so far with all the main developers. I think the next version will put the icing on the cake for all of us in a good way.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply